When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Calling all the olde timers(get it) :-).........check in

Justasgood

7 hours ago, fraggle42 said:

But life throws other things at you...

Now married, living in Houston, and life's latest trick is colon stage 4 cancer (typing this from hospital bed).

That really sucks. My best friend was diagnosed with stage four prostate cancer eight years ago. After a year of treatment, he was 100% cancer-free. With a bit of luck, in five years, your biggest worry will (still) be your lack of space. Hang in there, fraggle!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Keep it up! 

What's everyone been up to? Working hard here...

Just finished a Pam pxxxx clone repair... Next on the bench probably another sub of some sort...

Its weird to look back at how absolutely busy this forum used to be now Reddit looks to be taking over the forum game. 

These last 15 years definitely feel like 30 on my mind body and soul. The past two years with the infighting over politics/elections and covid have been absolutely exhausting. 

20211030_172124.jpg

• Like 1

Hey guys! Just checking in here after years being AWOL :)

Over the years I’ve build a modest collection of gens inspired by the love for watches from this forum.

Still wearing the rep PAM177 and 388. frequently, though.

Hope you guys are doing great!

So who has the best 1:1 Rolex Leopard Daytona these days? ;)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

• Like 2

"absolutely amazing quality on some reps nowadays.. and also amazing crappiness."

I agree and imho...

The  "amazing quality"  is in the cases, dials, and bracelets. 

The  "amazing crappiness"  is in some of the various clone movements.

A top quality watch (appearance wise) with an improperly designed/assembled/oiled 'oem lookalike' clone movement with no parts availability is going to be a problem sooner or later no matter how good the watch looks on the outside.

The clone rlx 3135 is one example of trouble on the horizon with some versions being worse than others.  A clone 4130 may not be quite as bad, I do not know because I have not read much about them.

Clone ETA 28xx...not too bad because replacement movements and some parts are available on eBay etc at relatively low $$.  Swiss ETAs can also be used but their prices are rapidly rising.

The Miyota 9015 may be an alternative but dial foot location, hand sizes, and DWO can be a hassle.  The APRO etc with the 9015 is probably Ok but I am only guessing, never had one.

Another example...

James Bond big crown Submariner case 316L Miyota 9015 movement sapphire crystal | eBay

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 2/5/2022 at 6:29 PM, Nanuq said:

Well that right there makes this an all star weekend. Anyone else watching the NHL?

I'll watch it on catchup. It's a shame Evgeni Malkin has been shunned by the NHL again, though. He should be an all star every year he's fit.

• 8 months later...

Well I'm still alive and it's great to see some names I recognise in this thread, I came back here after getting an email from Reg a few days ago.

I still have a bunch of reps in my watch box, most of them don't work.  My very early edition "Super Rep" SOSF needs a new stem and crown because it stripped and I can't screw it down any more.  My EL 'ultimate'  Fiddy with the canon pin mod which was serviced by The Zigmeister doesn't wind properly, the crown sort of slips outwards as I wind it.  I was never happy with it after the crystal popped and I had it replaced by DSN.  My Explorer II which was modded with a gen crown and tube, gen springbars, serviced and relumed seems to pop springbars out and fall off my wrist.  My orange 45/20 Planet Ocean from TTK with the wrong lug size, I think it's just the bracelet that's knackered.

I remember buying a gen crown from Palp which never arrived and I also sent him a watch for some work which I never got back.

I've not really worn a mechanical watch in years.  They all just developed faults and problems and I ended up wearing my gen Tissot all the time before moving to a smartwatch.

What I've got would probably make decent projects for repairs if I had the knowledge, ability, skill and parts.  They're all pretty solid, decent reps, except with issues!

Edited by kasigi
  • Like 1

Why not make lemonade out of your lemons?

You can pickup a basic set of watchmaking tools (screwdrivers, tweezers, movement stand, rubber ball caseback opener & 3x loupe) for about 100 quid. Find a youtube overhaul video for 1 of your rep movements (most are either ETA or Asian clones of same) & take a shot at watch repair.

There are a number of watch repair forums, including RWG, where you can ask questions & receive guidance along the way. If you fail, worst case, you are out 100 quid & still have watches with issues. But if you succeed, you have begun to learn an enviable new skill & have pride of having done it yourself. More importantly, once you gain a bit of experience, you may find that you enjoy repairing (and wearing) those mechanical watches -- that no longer have issues.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, freddy333 said:

Why not make lemonade out of your lemons?

You can pickup a basic set of watchmaking tools (screwdrivers, tweezers, movement stand, rubber ball caseback opener & 3x loupe) for about 100 quid. Find a youtube overhaul video for 1 of your rep movements (most are either ETA or Asian clones of same) & take a shot at watch repair.

There are a number of watch repair forums, including RWG, where you can ask questions & receive guidance along the way. If you fail, worst case, you are out 100 quid & still have watches with issues. But if you succeed, you have begun to learn an enviable new skill & have pride of having done it yourself. More importantly, once you gain a bit of experience, you may find that you enjoy repairing (and wearing) those mechanical watches -- that no longer have issues.

Fantastic suggestion.

It is a fantastic idea but time, and well, time are against me.  I barely have time these days to charge my smartwatch, never mind spending hours squinting at very small things and cursing when the Jesus clips ping across the room.

/edit - The movement issues are probably just to do with the crowns and stems, I don't actually think they'd be that tricky to fix.  The one I really would like to wear again is the SOSF and that's just a threaded stem/crown.

Edited by kasigi

9 hours ago, kasigi said:

spending hours squinting at very small things and cursing when the Jesus clips ping across the room.

As luck would have it, I am dealing with that right now. So I get the point.

Over the years, I have lost only 2 or 3 parts, but I have lost the same spring 3 times this week (I just ordered 4 more & fortunately they are not expensive).

• 2 weeks later...

The only real give away besides the predictable serial prefix (I hear they’re moving to full random serial soon) is the nasty floating m after the 300. Still it’s great value with 95% accuracy at $500. 

I read last week they’ve even come out with an IWC perpetual calendar with full capability of the gen. The factories are getting very very good. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello to all, I hope everyone of you are doing OK and have happiness.

I was here previously on a near identical name from early 2000's. When I first stumbled upon the forum, I was immediately hooked. I was super young then too, maybe 14, 15. I've spent hundreds and hundreds  of hours reading when the forum was popping over the years.. I grew up I suppose and life took over. Once settled with a family many years later, couldn't get into my old account, made a new one with a similar name and lurked/tried to get back into the hobby, RWG had changed by this time. Recently a established member, who will read this, took me for £300, pos is still here, Infact he's posted on this thread. I reached out to the mods who never ended up perusing him.  Immediately, I reverted back to a immature mentality and had intrusive thoughts of getting the guy back so that was my cue to call it a day.  I've got my grail piece now. I wish everyone of you the absolute best. 

I hope the new owner can clean the trash out and revive the place. 

Best. 

Luca 

Welcome back, Luca.

I do not know the details of your experience with the other member, but it is too bad your return was spoiled by an apparent deception. I know in the old days (when I was a member of the mod team), reports of abuse or questionable trades would come up from time to time & were ALWAYS taken seriously. But, unfortunately, you have to remember that private transactions between members are just that -- private. So there is really little RWG staff can or, really, should do other than to listen to both sides, if both sides are willing to accept a mediator. But, in the end, it is ultimately up to the 2 parties to sort things out, either between themselves or with the help of the payment agent (eg bank, paypal, etc).

Good to hear you did finally acquire your grail.

11 hours ago, Lukenorris11 said:

Hello to all, I hope everyone of you are doing OK and have happiness.

I was here previously on a near identical name from early 2000's. When I first stumbled upon the forum, I was immediately hooked. I was super young then too, maybe 14, 15. I've spent hundreds and hundreds  of hours reading when the forum was popping over the years.. I grew up I suppose and life took over. Once settled with a family many years later, couldn't get into my old account, made a new one with a similar name and lurked/tried to get back into the hobby, RWG had changed by this time. Recently a established member, who will read this, took me for £300, pos is still here, Infact he's posted on this thread. I reached out to the mods who never ended up perusing him.  Immediately, I reverted back to a immature mentality and had intrusive thoughts of getting the guy back so that was my cue to call it a day.  I've got my grail piece now. I wish everyone of you the absolute best. 

I hope the new owner can clean the trash out and revive the place. 

Best. 

Luca 

Actually, that’s not completely true. An investigation was carried out and both parties contacted for their version. Sorry you feel that it didn’t go in your favour. When members put lots of time and effort into helping others it doesn’t always lead to a success conclusion. Let’s not air our dirty laundry on this thread eh? 

Shame nothing could have been done about Tommy after he vanished, holding a lot of watches.  Everyone said "He'll come back" but he didn't.  He had one of PAMs crowns for me and I sent him a watch to do a lot of work on.

I know everything is done at our own risk but he had a good reputation and used that to screw a lot of people over.  I'm still bitter now.

https://rwg.cc/profile/979-palpatine/