When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Calling all the olde timers(get it) :-).........check in

Justasgood

On 6/4/2020 at 12:11 PM, cornerstone said:

Whoa!  You mean this?

Breitling-superocean-Heritage-57-Limited-Edition-II-4.thumb.jpg.abe07651461658963964dbb261c7b166.jpg

Which I think honours this aviation pedigree?

a-tiger-on-a-plane-near-the-rainbow-vector.jpg.537bef1ae0db1e6c781b0566117c5dec.jpg

Same with the exchange rate too, that has an impact.

That’s one of many bad watches for sure 😝 

Anybody hear from ByTor or The Zigmeister lately?

On 5/6/2020 at 1:13 AM, Justasgood said:

Damn,

I hope your will names me as owner when the bears finally catch you.....The original Snow Prince. I can't tell you how honored I was when you asked me to massage that baby into what you see!!!!

Miss you my friend........You too Nuq...:-)

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Oh, what a lovely piece indeed ! 🥰 

Hey guys!

hope to see most of you still around and, of course aprehensive with the absences, especially knowing of Rolli’s passing almost a year ago.

Life has changed a lot since early times and i hop in from time to time; always a pleasure and a joy.

Not posting much tough but I am always contactable :)

please take care, especially during this awkward period.

best,

M.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I’ll do a quick check in.  Been years since I visited until recently.  I actually didn’t even remember the URL and took a link at rep geek to find my way back. Was robbed and lost my entire watch collection so just got pretty depressed about watches.  Had two 1966 Speedmasters in perfect condition among the casualties.  No insurance. 😞 Back on the bike now and glad to be back.  Funny, one of the only survivors from the theft was a TC sub Frankin.  I had it on my wrist.  Still have it!!!!!

This was always my favorite forum. Where I started and where I got to know the profiles of so many great people.  Great to see many of those names back in this thread.  I didn’t know what an automatic movement was when I joined and through the years and knowledge gained here, built at least 10 super high end Frankens myself.  Crazy.  All my friends think of me as the watch guy so ya’ll can take credit for that.

Still single, although contemplating changing that.  Work is good.  I work really hard but feel blessed and spoiled.  Great to be back.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, imajedi said:

Still single, although contemplating changing that

I can heartily recommend it.  You'll never find more satisfaction in life than with a couple faithful companions.     :bangin:

IMG_5799.JPG

IMG_3420.JPG

PS:  welcome back big guy!!   :tu:

Been 14 years or longer, can't really remember. Some names resonate a bit but there was so much information at that time for me it wasn't until Eddielee, lello, TTK, Maria, River, Ubi, Zigmeister, Palpatine, that I started remembering names (and of course you are still one of them Nanuq :)) been lurking these last few years, haven't added much reps to the collection but still happy with what I've got :) I wish you all the best and really nice to see many of us oldies are still around :) 

• Like 2

Well, well, well,...

Many familiar names in this thread which is a pleasure to see/read.

14+ years on the forum for me, it used to be "the place" where I spent most of my time regarding rep watch hobby, these days it's only RWI.

More or less it is 16 years that I am in this hobby, except for 2 yrs period off, and I am still enjoying. I remember the forums that were before this one and the stories which led to their breakdown.

Had a period off the forum(s) because of some personal reasons when I even sold most of my collection and kept only some of the "gems" which are part of the watch rep history such as PAM027-PAM028-PAM029 from EL and Honpo plus some others such as custom built vintage PAMs by VDB and some other pcs..

I was always a big Panerai fan and still keep collecting them. Today I have a collection of ~120 pcs. out of which 75 are PAMs (please don't judge my addiction LOL) and I try to dig some old pieces from members that don't need/use them anymore and buy them for my collection.

I remember some guys that were more active in the Panerai section as Kostas/Veni12(V), Tourby, FGD, Rolli, Palpatine & some others that back in the days were one of the 1st members doing some personal projects in order to improve the looks of the reps that were avail. back then. From custom made dials, crowns, crown guards, cyclops,..this days 99,9% is ready made by our chinese friends (PAM related) and mostly stock pieces are avail., even the gen parts are not accessible in the extent they were to be found in the past.

Pity there is not a lot of activity in here since the since this place has always exuded a positive and friendly atmosphere.

I'll be around with my daily check in to see if there is something new in here. If anybody wants to reach me related to some old school PAM, please do. I'll be happy to have a chat..

• Like 3

Back from the dead on my end. Don’t know why but something called me back. It’s been fun to read and see what’s up. I am probably at 8-10 watches. But the travesty is that I seem to have lost my Rolexes including a gen 5512 and a Ubi 6263. Will keep looking although if my ex found them first they’re gone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welcome back dadog and WM! It’s good to see you. Dog, believe it or not I finally succumbed to the siren song of the Panerai and bought a few. My, they’re .................. large. :bangin:

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 8:23 AM, dieselpower said:

Anybody remember Pugwash?

LOL, I lost a $20 bet to Pugwash when the first iPad came out. I bet it would flop, boy was I wrong...

I met up with Ubiquitous a few months ago. Rocking some amazing Frankens!

What happened to Freddy333? I haven't seen anything from him since I have resurfaced.

What about By-Tor?

Edited by Ronin
  • Like 2

Been a long time since I posted. 
I remember when I joined the old RWG back in 2004, one of the first post I read was some oldtimers who talkes about how everything was better in the good old days. 

This was a nice place on the net for many years. I truly enjoyed doing reviews and guides, and receiving nice Feedback. 

I migrated more or less over to Repgeek, which are more up to date with discussions on new reps. Not very active there either. Life moved on, and I felt I was happy with the watches I had. 

Anyway, I have setteled down with wife and one kid, 7 years old. When he was born I bought a 16750, 1984 model. Just before the prices went sky high. I also have a vintage 1975 Air-King, which is a birth year watch.  That is all my expensive gens.  I am not all done with reps, but buy less than one a year. Last rep is IWC mark xvi, tribute to mark xi. Nice watch. I was tempted by the Oris vintage diver, but it is too similar to other watches I have. 

Still have my iwc ingenieur, with Lello date wheel overlay. Anyone remembering those? 🙂 That is one rep I will never sell. A Seamaster Bond from the «closed factory» is also a keeper. Also have some watches which have received the treatment from The Zigmeisterzumba! 

Still wishing for a true Speedmaster and a good Navitimer replica. 🙂

Edited by chrgod
Edited for spelling errors.
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, chrgod said:

Still wishing for a true Speedmaster and a good Navitimer replica. 🙂

You and me both, baby!  Can you imagine if they came out with a reasonably accurate AOPA Navitimer 806?  I'd think I'd died and gone to heaven.    :pray:

It's nice seeing you again!  :tu:

1 hour ago, Nanuq said:

You and me both, baby!  Can you imagine if they came out with a reasonably accurate AOPA Navitimer 806?  I'd think I'd died and gone to heaven.    :pray:

It's nice seeing you again!  :tu:

They did come out with a decent 3/6/9 Navi with proper non-recessed datewheel, alas the 3:00 sundial was faux

Navitimer.. Disgusting 💩almost as bad as a Richard Mille.....Ugh - don't get me started

(IMHO of course and as we know, opinions are like [censored] holes, everybody's got one and it's usually full of pooh 😂)

On 7/9/2020 at 7:22 AM, Ronin said:

LOL, I lost a $20 bet to Pugwash when the first iPad came out. I bet it would flop, boy was I wrong...

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I remember looking at an early iPad in an airport shop with a tecchy mate of mine. He was all excited and I took one look at it and thought it would flop too. Hey ho there you go.

• Like 1

Well then there's always this bastardized mutt of a watch that fits NOWHERE in the Breitling pantheon ... it's a Gigandet/Wakmann, who bought the rights to Breitling a time long ago, but it's not a "Top Time" and it's not a Navitimer.  But it's oh so close to both.  And it has the Breitling WOG stamped on the bridge.  I've never seen another one anywhere.  This is the same movement as my old Rolex Jean-Claude Killy ... valjoux 72c.  

IMG_5486.jpg

Now that's pretty nice.... at least you can tell the time clearly, which is kinda the point of wearing a watch in the first place!

Take a look at this overpriced POS and tell me at a quick glance - what time is it?

IMG_5929.thumb.JPG.c009558324c6aee3e9bec304cd836f31.JPG

Apologies for the quality (or lack thereof) of the photo, but you get my drift 🙂

• Like 1