When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 1655 Bezel

preacher62

This is for the oldtimers on this board. Just wondering if anyone recognized this bezel.  I purchased it years ago from a vendor that is no longer in business.  I think it was Mark III or Mk III, something like that.  They sold a lot 1655 bezels.  I'm sure it wasn't Ingod44.  I don't remember if this is gen or if it is rep.  I do remember that I paid $178 for it. 

IMG_0906.JPG

IMG_0931.JPG

IMG_1160.JPG

23 minutes ago, preacher62 said:

I might be putting this for sale. It was my first major case restructuring. I love it...love to look at it.  Just don't put it on and wear it.

Nice ! It’s a damn fine build. I love the 1655
i finished my build about a month ago. But your bezel is quite a bit nicer than the phong one I have. 

"This is for the oldtimers on this board."

I guess I qualify, 5-16-07.   :wheelchair:

"Just wondering if anyone recognized this bezel."

I have a Phong '1655' case from around 2010/2011 and it has a bezel with 'thin line' numbers but in the same font style as in your pics.

I looked on a few rlx websites and bezels similar to mine were from around the late 1970s/early 1980s...probably.  Yours looks more like an early 1970s style.

Genuine or not I do not know but it is very good.

Otoh I have a cartel '1655' from maybe 4 or 5 years ago that is 90% as good as the Phong case except for the case engraving and bezel numbers.  The cartel dial is almost as good as many higher $$ rep dials too.  I tried a genuine GMT/1655 movement with genspec 1655 dial in the cartel case and it will fit after machining the case a little bit but the dial is too small...27.3mm for genspec vs 28.0mm for the cartel dial.  The genspec dial just barely fills the dial opening.  Could put a 1575 GMT 'quickie conversion' in it with the cartel dial and have a cool fly-by 1655.

'Fly-by' GMT/1655 = looks good outside and under the hood but not under the dial.  There are a lot of them out there, especially now with rlx parts cut off.

This site always has a lot of genuine 1655 for comparison:

https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/references/rolex-1655

'Fly-by' GMT/1655 info:

https://rwg.cc/topic/168977-building-an-mbw-sub-shortcut-rlx-156070-gmt-conversions/page/2/#comments

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, automatico said:

I have a Phong '1655' case from around 2010/2011 and it has a bezel with 'thin line' numbers but in the same font style as in your pics.

I looked on a few rlx websites and bezels similar to mine were from around the late 1970s/early 1980s...probably.  Yours looks more like an early 1970s style.

Otoh I have a cartel '1655' from maybe 4 or 5 years ago that is 90% as good as the Phong case except for the case engraving and bezel numbers.  The cartel dial is almost as good as many higher $$ rep dials too.  I tried a genuine GMT/1655 movement with genspec 1655 dial in the cartel case and it will fit after machining the case a little bit but the dial is too small...27.3mm for genspec vs 28.0mm for the cartel dial.  The genspec dial just barely fills the dial opening.  Could put a 1575 GMT 'quickie conversion' in it with the cartel dial and have a cool fly-by 1655.

'Fly-by' GMT/1655 = looks good outside and under the hood but not under the dial.  There are a lot of them out there, especially now with rlx parts cut off.

'Fly-by' GMT/1655 info:

https://rwg.cc/topic/168977-building-an-mbw-sub-shortcut-rlx-156070-gmt-conversions/page/2/#comments

Yep his looks like early 70’s that’s why I want it 😅 it’s pretty accurate to gen from that era. 

I was going to do the 1575/gmt quickey to build mine, but ended up with the actual GMT version of the movement for the final build, using gen hands and MQ frog feet dial. 

'Fly-by' GMT/1655 info:

Hey Auto. We were coming through your town this month, but the Coronavirus closed down the Smokies.

You’ve been around long enough to remember. I bought the bezel in 2011 or 12, but not from ndtrading. The vendor was Mark something, like Mk. III or something. Or maybe I’m confusing the name with the bezel. A Mk. II, or Ml. III bezel.

I was asking because I’m thinking about selling the watch, because I never have worn it, and I have something else in mind. I’m loving these VR movements. Serviced a couple with good success.

At 74 years old you’d think I’d give it up.

"At 74 years old you’d think I’d give it up."

Never give it up!  

"You’ve been around long enough to remember. I bought the bezel in 2011 or 12, but not from ndtrading. The vendor was Mark something, like Mk. III or something. Or maybe I’m confusing the name with the bezel. A Mk. II, or Ml. III bezel."

I do not remember who it was either.  I am sure the aftmkt suppliers could make replacement bezels as good as yours with no trouble but they continue making mistakes for some reason.   

The virus has closed us down around here and I saw where they are keeping the Smoky Mountains closed through April 30.  I can see the Smokies out of our back windows, I'm about 15 minutes from the mountains and 30 minutes from the National Park.

91578531_2940655679325076_27091392700769 

Do Not feed the bears...unless you want to be bear food. 

One more thing about my 1655.  I found a model on eBay that I used, primarily, because it gave deference to the cartel case. I did extensive work on the case bring the "waist" on either side of the CGs in to just meet the bezel edge.  I also took some off of the other side.  The 1655 was not always a 40mm watch.  This bezel is 36.9mm or 37mm.  My watch is 38mm, which is the original size of the 1655...I think.  Also, the 24-hour hand was not crown adjustable, so mine isn't either. 

IMG_1159.JPG

IMG_1164.JPG

IMG_1168.JPG

IMG_1158.JPG