When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Do you love Classic cars?

Lovegmt73

Sadly, I hit a moose last November and caved in the front end. I spent a few months tracking down parts and finally have them in hand. Today is the start of tearing her down, hammering out panels and getting her back on the road.

No you can’t just undo fasteners, with all the alloys there the bolts are corroded from galvanic action. So get out the grinder.

No you can’t just strip paint off the replacement wings and bonnet, it’s acrylic based. What in the heck strips acrylic? Don’t use a sander and ruin that perfect metal finish under the paint!

No you can’t just hammer the panels, you have to anneal them with an acetylene torch...but don’t melt them! Then hammer and work them awhile before annealing some more.

It’s a process, and it makes you hate, or love, these old cars even more.

• Like 1

I love classic cars. My big disappointment at the moment is the postponement of Le Mans Classic. I had tickets, travel and accommodation all booked. Thankfully most organisations agreed to a refund or re-booking for the following year at no extra charge. I say most because there was one glaring exception - Eurotunnel, who refuse to assist in any way. No you can't have a refund, no you can't change the dates. Yes you can f*** off and we'll keep your money. Thankyou very much. So much for the 'we're all in this together - we must pull together' philosophy.

Anyway moan over...

Here's a photo of the daily driver followed by the weekend fun:

766320373_photo1-6.thumb.JPG.2692508d28918c235b18c9a9274229d6.JPG

IMG_4475.thumb.JPG.e8c7c5878e25b1588f74793b9d1d62b0.JPG

• Like 3

Glad you're keeping the 124 flag flying too.

I had a thought the other day - is the 124 the greatest model range of cars ever? You've got estate, saloon, coupe and convertible all under the same umberella. Styling is obviously a subjective matter but its certainly passed the longevity/reliability test (in distance travelled mine has now driven from earth to the moon) engine variants from 2.3 four pot to 5 litre V8 what more could you want?!

I currently have a w124 320, s124 280, c124 320. I have had the e500 and very briefly an e600 AMG. A V124 6 door Binz, , a 2 litre estate, manual, 2.2 litre estate manual, a 3 litre turbo diesel saloon, 280 saloon and bizarrely enough a German ambulance (alcohol and eBay may have been involved)

I’ve never been that fond of them to be honest, a bit too Beirut taxi. Currently I am smoking around in a more modern Mercedes and my van

5 hours ago, Lovegmt73 said:

I like very much british classics, but if you don’t like oil drops everywhere buy german...

That, or give it a plucky nickname and nobody cares.  I call my Land Rover the "Exxon Valdez".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dieselpower said:

Salmon oil. In a landie?! Sacrelege!!!

I know!  And with dwindling salmon stocks I've decided to switch to an alternate fuel source.  Wood!

worlds-first-steam-powered-land-rover-de

• Like 1

I love classic cars. My big disappointment at the moment is the postponement of Le Mans Classic. I had tickets, travel and accommodation all booked. Thankfully most organisations agreed to a refund or re-booking for the following year at no extra charge. I say most because there was one glaring exception - Eurotunnel, who refuse to assist in any way. No you can't have a refund, no you can't change the dates. Yes you can f*** off and we'll keep your money. Thankyou very much. So much for the 'we're all in this together - we must pull together' philosophy.

Anyway moan over...

Here's a photo of the daily driver followed by the weekend fun:

766320373_photo1-6.thumb.JPG.2692508d28918c235b18c9a9274229d6.JPG

IMG_4475.thumb.JPG.e8c7c5878e25b1588f74793b9d1d62b0.JPG

I would like to go to Goodwood for the Revival or Festival of Speed, it must be fascinating!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk