When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What do you do with your screws...?

Nexus9

I'm talking about the metal ones that come out of your watch, now....:evil2:

I'm learning to service my own watches lately.  Been a technician all my life, so I have the interest, but no formal training.   The parts make sense to me, but I see technicians just throw everything in a pile for cleaning and then reassemble the movement. 

I've always kept any fasteners with the part that they attach, so I'm sure to get the right thread and length when I reassemble things - also, I know if one is missing.  Are watch movement screws so similar that they are interchangeable? (other than the obvious movement mounting screws etc)  Do you just memorize the screw types on disassembly?

How do you guys sort and manage screws?

Thanks

First time, I had everything laid out in a long row in the exact order they came out. I guess it comes with experience. As soon as the plague is ended I’m going to get formal qualifications as a watch smith and put an end to my halfhearted bodgery

As with many things experience is key. But it's a steep, sometimes frustrating learning curve.

Screws in watches often look identical but 1/2mm here and there will lead to headaches along the way. 

When disassembling a watch these days (8 years experience) I I use small pots with lids like this... http://redroosteruk.com/parts-containers-24-aluminium-tubs-in-wooden-box-watchmakers-jewellers-storage/ 

Each section of the watch is stored in its own pot, keyless, motion works, geartrain, auto module etc. Along with the corresponding screws for that section.

Experience has taught me how to identify unique screws (1 off) within a movement. I will screw these back into their corresponding holes, as I disassemble.

I tend not to put all screws back into their corresponding holes as I'm disassembling due to fear of them rattling out during the 3 stage clean & dry process I use. It can also lead to issues when reassembly if a screw in another area of the movement is in too deep when screwing down a bridge for instance, it will hinder or possibly damage something.

Oh, that is really helpful - and that parts container makes total sense.  Did you see the rust on the latches of the item they use to display it?  Crazy! 

I'll do a search on eBay and see what I can find. Thanks for taking time to write.

Ha!  The exact same thing is on eBay in American dollars from the same supplier in the UK with the same rusty picture:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Parts-containers-24-aluminium-tubs-in-wooden-box-watchmakers-jewellers-storage/202556801535?hash=item2f295381ff:g:EpUAAOSwk-BdqYl9

Years and years ago we had an exceptional watchsmith here who has gone on to the land of Gens.  His name is legendary.  My 62 year old Sub 6536 needed a service so I sent it to him.  He did it up and sent photos and then mailed it back home.  It was, as expected, perfect.  It was only then he told me The Rest Of The Story.

He had disassembled my trusty 1030 movement and put all the components and corresponding screws into one of those trays with all the dished segments.  He started down the stairs to his laundry room where his ultrasonic cleaner lived, and ....... tripped.    :shock:   Like a fountain at Las Vegas, parts arced out into the air in a glistening cascade and tinkled on the floor as they fell.  

He spent two days on his hands and knees with a flashlight, and he found every last part.  Or he slipped a couple Timex screws in there and I'm none the wiser.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nanuq said:

Years and years ago we had an exceptional watchsmith here who has gone on to the land of Gens.  His name is legendary.  My 62 year old Sub 6536 needed a service so I sent it to him.  He did it up and sent photos and then mailed it back home.  It was, as expected, perfect.  It was only then he told me The Rest Of The Story.

He had disassembled my trusty 1030 movement and put all the components and corresponding screws into one of those trays with all the dished segments.  He started down the stairs to his laundry room where his ultrasonic cleaner lived, and ....... tripped.    :shock:   Like a fountain at Las Vegas, parts arced out into the air in a glistening cascade and tinkled on the floor as they fell.  

He spent two days on his hands and knees with a flashlight, and he found every last part.  Or he slipped a couple Timex screws in there and I'm none the wiser.

Redbigjoe was a dedicated watchmaker for sure 😉. He is missed. 

• Like 1

Redbigjoe was a dedicated watchmaker for sure . He is missed. 

That was his Ultra Special Dustbunny Removal and Lint Extraction Service, with surcharge discount for overuse of knee pads.