When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Mbw 5513 Need help

Mattjames84

So I bought a 5513 build that needs some work and now I need you experts. The rotating bezel popped off my watch couple days after I got it and I realized that it pops on and off wayyyyy to easy like with no hesitation even with the tension ring, so I'm thing it needs either a new retaining ring, bezel ring or both so I bought a non name assembly off ebay hoping I wont have any issues with it... so after removing the retaining ring, I noticed there is no o-ring under it.. is there supposed to be one? If so does anyone know how I can get one. Is it the same as a caseback gasket.. 

Also what are some of the problems that I might run into into with installing the no name assembly? I was told it's got a gen service crystal however it looks looks like it's all cracked to hell when you take the retaining ring off, not sure if it really is cracked or if it's just glue but for now I'll leave it alone because for as much as I paid for this watch alone. I wasnt at all expecting these kind of problems and bought It under the assumption it could be worn with no problem, but oh well.

Well u need to be more specific on the bezel assembly you ordered from the bay.

Next is: If the seller claimed everything is working fine, i‘d contact him and ask if he knew about the bezel problem. If it’s falling off simply cause you‘re wearing it, he knew and ripped u off- at least with the bezel.

Just my 0.02

Yeah they said the bezel was fine when they sent it to me, I tried to talk to him about it but not going to accuse him or argue with. I told him I wasnt sure what I was going to do about it but I'm just take the loss.. it has the structure I want, all the case mods have been done by rolojack as far as the cg's and and lugs.. the dial and hand are what i want, the bracelet i think may be a gen tudor riveted bracelet but cant confirm.. so I'm gonna build from what iv got

Anyhow the item number to the bezel I got is 173740692659

I'll try an take pics of my watch later, if got in semi apart right now

Yeah they both do, but that last pic of them put together is pretty much me just dropping it in place and pushing ever so slightly... unlike the last 5513 I had, when you popped the bezel off you actually had to use the tool and when it went back on you it wasnt coming off... this one all you need to use is your fingers with hardly any pressure

Oh my, I think the retaining ring is very slightly bent which would cause the problem

Even so, I think maybe the ring is worn and needs replacing, and now I need to find a t19 crystal, what do you guys recommend? Clarks?

34 minutes ago, Mattjames84 said:

Yeah they both do, but that last pic of them put together is pretty much me just dropping it in place and pushing ever so slightly... unlike the last 5513 I had, when you popped the bezel off you actually had to use the tool and when it went back on you it wasnt coming off... this one all you need to use is your fingers with hardly any pressure

Oh my, I think the retaining ring is very slightly bent which would cause the problem

Even so, I think maybe the ring is worn and needs replacing, and now I need to find a t19 crystal, what do you guys recommend? Clarks?

Clark’s is good. 

10 minutes ago, Mattjames84 said:

Hey justasgood, heres everything I have, and these are everything off the watch, all the stuff I just ordered will probably be here sat, or mon. I also got a set of rep 580 end links off ebay.. the one on the bracelet now are bent up 382 links

20200507_135616.jpg

Ok, so you are waiting on the wholesale outlet assembly. So that bezel just easily snaps on and off the ring with or without the tension washer?  Does the insert snap into the bezel easily?

Damn, wish I had it here in front of me. I hate to keep asking these questions

Heres the bezel that came off it

15888711610068295686001228951413.thumb.jpg.2bfa26bce1a5aa30548af55a720df941.jpg

15888711936097465572423621937813.thumb.jpg.23b5a0f498707e7abbef036a34249e7e.jpg

15888712558648890057584864164317.thumb.jpg.3735cc9cdd7598f4534bd7c38874d98e.jpg

U could try this:

Take the retainer and put it on a hard/ even surface. Get a hammer and a screwdriver ( - ).

Place the screwdriver on the part of the retainer where the friction washer sits (see pic).

Give it a slightly punsh with the hammer, that it makes a small groove in the retainer. Do that on the other site too.

Now put the friction washer back on and press the bezel on the retainer.

U should feel that it clips tighter then before, if not, give it one more punsh with the hammer.

The reason why the bezel falls off is that the retainers outer diameter became too small for the bezel itself and has no more grip to hold it.

That’s what I did to a few bezel assembly’s to get them absolutely tight again (vietnam and cartel).

c147b0f82f5a037ebc70c1429d27b011.jpg&key=25c816f5dd791e7b5146b57c846e9c6ffb451d0675852f691125132b471025e9

Edit: As english isn’t my first language here’s a pic which should explain what I mean lol

116965b9ed37c23c01c7a203a9f87045.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Seamaster said:

U could try this:

Take the retainer and put it on a hard/ even surface. Get a hammer and a screwdriver ( - ).

Place the screwdriver on the part of the retainer where the friction washer sits (see pic).

Give it a slightly punsh with the hammer, that it makes a small groove in the retainer. Do that on the other site too.

Now put the friction washer back on and press the bezel on the retainer.

U should feel that it clips tighter then before, if not, give it one more punsh with the hammer.

The reason why the bezel falls off is that the retainers outer diameter became too small for the bezel itself and has no more grip to hold it.

That’s what I did to a few bezel assembly’s to get them absolutely tight again (vietnam and cartel).

c147b0f82f5a037ebc70c1429d27b011.jpg&key=25c816f5dd791e7b5146b57c846e9c6ffb451d0675852f691125132b471025e9

Edit: As english isn’t my first language here’s a pic which should explain what I mean lol

116965b9ed37c23c01c7a203a9f87045.jpg

Would not recommend this. My guess is the seller possibly confused/mixed up a different bezel or ring. The whole sale outlet assembly will be just fine. The only question will be the crystal fit. If that is truly an MBW case, a gen crystal should work fine and the bezel assembly should work well.

Would not recommend this. My guess is the seller possibly confused/mixed up a different bezel or ring. The whole sale outlet assembly will be just fine. The only question will be the crystal fit. If that is truly an MBW case, a gen crystal should work fine and the bezel assembly should work well.

Don’t meant the new retainer OP ordered, I meant the old one the bezel falls off from.

Would make no sense if he‘d punch the new one wider lol

48 minutes ago, Mr Seamaster said:

Don’t meant the new retainer OP ordered, I meant the old one the bezel falls off from.

Would make no sense if he‘d punch the new one wider lol

I understand. However, ruining the ring he has makes no sense. I would check with the original seller to see if perhaps he sent the wrong bezel or ring. The cheap subs have a smaller ring and the bezel is very this. It is possibke to have mixed them up as the two would not work together.

Thanks for the tip seamaster, I'm going to wait for the new bezel and see how that fits, Iv ordered a Clark's crystal too so should get them at the same time, also crystal glue to put at the base of the crystal and glue the insert in

Last but not least iv got a 2846 on its way that I'm going to put in it as it has a 2836 right now

18 hours ago, Justasgood said:

A Gilt PCG I spent 2 years building. All Gen except the Midcase which came from Singapore at $950.00

610E6FC7-7D2A-455F-842E-69A8FFBAF966.jpeg

26B7C7F9-0405-44E1-B88C-151C5E970E11.jpeg

3F7F8D94-A215-48CC-8D36-A395C1C76C79.jpeg

81E68C46-EC4D-412D-930E-9AA43A7D4F81.jpeg

83A9B6FF-2993-4FD8-B1E5-14FE4022B1CA.jpeg

63C176DF-D7E9-459A-A7A0-5F923E24B16A.jpeg

Yeah so I definately paid a bit much for mine I guess, but then again, the casework is where mine got expensive

Edited by Mattjames84

2 minutes ago, Mattjames84 said:

Yeah so I definately paid a bit much for mine I guess

Not saying that. MBW cases are rare and hard to find. They do command higher $$$. The Vietnamese(NDT Trading) cases (I accidentally referenced singapore) are more accurate when it comes to accepting Genuine Rolex parts. The MBW's were as close as we had way back in the day.

I'm just not sure what you have is an MBW case, but it doesn't mean that you wasted any money. The bezel, dial, CG's hands and bracelet are really what will make the difference. Must people (99.9%) would never know the rehaut or even CG's were off unless it was clownishly bad 🙂

1 hour ago, Justasgood said:

MBW shouldn't need glue at base of crystal. The crystal should be snug and the ring compresses the base of the crystal to waterproof it.

Gotta say, the rehaut of that case looks a bit bigger and more slope than my MBW.

When Rolojack would post pictures of his builds, he would describe machining the case to make it thinner and opening the dial window. This might be why the rehaut looks different from a stock MBW.

Well, Mattjames84's case may be a cartel case. Here is a Rolojack pictorial about making a pointed crown guard 5513. It looks to be op's watch in the making. At least the hour hand seems to be the same.

39 minutes ago, oldtools said:

When Rolojack would post pictures of his builds, he would describe machining the case to make it thinner and opening the dial window. This might be why the rehaut looks different from a stock MBW.

Well, Mattjames84's case may be a cartel case. Here is a Rolojack pictorial about making a pointed crown guard 5513. It looks to be op's watch in the making. At least the hour hand seems to be the same.

So it seems...OP, Compare the bezel sent to you with the pics in the referenced post.