When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1665 Case

Seadweller007

Hi,

I am looking for a source to buy a 1665 case for a new build. Quality is priority one. I have used Phong cases in the past with no issues (except for brush marks), but I have not been able to find another quality source. Does anyone have any suggestions? Watch build is 1:1 with all genuine parts.

Thank you

you might try rubyswatch.com, but I didn't find a 1665 case currently pictured. You'll have to email her and see if it's available.

http://www.rubyswatch.com/Products/watch-cases/sub-c1665

She does show a 5514 which has a HEV, but it a Comex model- not exactly a 1665 case, but close.

MQ over in Saigon is another possibility, but I hear that he's difficult to deal with and quality sometimes is lacking.

You might try negotiating with Phong- if he lists a case for $1400, you might be able to get him to sell it for $1000- I was able to do that quite a few years ago when I was making  a group buy with some other chaps.

Anything you buy is going to need some additional shaping- you can't expect a new case to look like a 40-50 year old watch.

What I heard they are from the same source but MQ does more case work (I might be wrong). The best way to same money, buying the cheapest case from Viet and do a little case work by master builder should be fine. BTW you seem to like Sea Dweller huh? I recently got a 1665 from one of master builders in my opinion and I really enjoyed it more than my Red Sub 1680. I love how the thick case and the crystal without cyclops look.

Welcome to the RWG club amigo!

• Like 1

Ruby is awesome.

Quick non nonsense comms, and very prompt.

Get a case from her, then send it to a modder for casework. A 50 year old watch should look like one - edges softened etc, and not mint like it just came off the assembly line. There are modders in Europe and US who can do that for you.

If you get a case from Phong (he has the best lug engraving, there is none better) you still need to send it to a modder to get the case shaped, and softening done.

The 1665 lugs are unique, and there’s very few modders who can do that well: try Rolojack in the US, or Tripdog and Kilowattore (from RWI) in EU.

Agree with Jackflash, deal with MQ only if you have no choice. But I have to say, for vintage Rolex dials, his are as close to perfect as they come.

11 hours ago, thorne said:

Ruby is awesome.

Quick non nonsense comms, and very prompt.

Get a case from her, then send it to a modder for casework. A 50 year old watch should look like one - edges softened etc, and not mint like it just came off the assembly line. There are modders in Europe and US who can do that for you.

If you get a case from Phong (he has the best lug engraving, there is none better) you still need to send it to a modder to get the case shaped, and softening done.

The 1665 lugs are unique, and there’s very few modders who can do that well: try Rolojack in the US, or Tripdog and Kilowattore (from RWI) in EU.

Agree with Jackflash, deal with MQ only if you have no choice. But I have to say, for vintage Rolex dials, his are as close to perfect as they come.

I think Rolojack's based in EU.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/9/2020 at 7:19 PM, alligoat said:

you might try rubyswatch.com, but I didn't find a 1665 case currently pictured. You'll have to email her and see if it's available.

http://www.rubyswatch.com/Products/watch-cases/sub-c1665

She does show a 5514 which has a HEV, but it a Comex model- not exactly a 1665 case, but close.

MQ over in Saigon is another possibility, but I hear that he's difficult to deal with and quality sometimes is lacking.

You might try negotiating with Phong- if he lists a case for $1400, you might be able to get him to sell it for $1000- I was able to do that quite a few years ago when I was making  a group buy with some other chaps.

Anything you buy is going to need some additional shaping- you can't expect a new case to look like a 40-50 year old watch.

Think I got her last 1665 that she had in stock 😅

On 5/8/2020 at 8:39 PM, Seadweller007 said:

Hi,

I am looking for a source to buy a 1665 case for a new build. Quality is priority one. I have used Phong cases in the past with no issues (except for brush marks), but I have not been able to find another quality source. Does anyone have any suggestions? Watch build is 1:1 with all genuine parts.

Thank you

I’ll possibly have an MBW case that’s been reshaped and slightly aged. It already has a 1570 in it, so it’s gen spec. 

I ordered Ruby’s 1665 case and I’ll decide when I get home in a few weeks what case I’ll use. 

12 hours ago, Seadweller007 said:

Hi

I ordered a case from her two weeks ago. Supposedly I will receive  in a few weeks .(45 days after payment).

Thank you

Ouch she’s never usually like that. I ordered last week and it’s at my house already Via DHL 😅

• 2 months later...