When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

best rep movement

flamini87

It depends what your goal is.........    Do you want a solid performing movement or one that "LOOKS" more like an OEM movement?

Any movement that comes with a REP is suspect.    Not so much because of design, but because of poor assembly practices, lack of lubrication, or lack of a clean assembly environment.    If you want a rep that performs with a high degree of accuracy and decent power reserve and a longer life, you should seriously consider having it serviced after receipt.   I've had a couple of pieces serviced and have been thrilled with the performance and results.   Cost ~~ $150 for full service that includes dis-assembly, lubrication, cleaning and adjusting.

Then there are some movements intended to mirror genuine pieces with more complex designs like chrono or GMT movements.    Some of these are just poorly designed, with sketchy performance and reliability.   Others' with limited functionality, can run accurately, but with missing features or designs that do not accurately reflect gen pieces.

If you are new to the hobby, I'd suggest getting a mid-priced sub or similar non-chrono piece and have it serviced once received.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pcardoza said:

It depends what your goal is.........    Do you want a solid performing movement or one that "LOOKS" more like an OEM movement?

Any movement that comes with a REP is suspect.    Not so much because of design, but because of poor assembly practices, lack of lubrication, or lack of a clean assembly environment.    If you want a rep that performs with a high degree of accuracy and decent power reserve and a longer life, you should seriously consider having it serviced after receipt.   I've had a couple of pieces serviced and have been thrilled with the performance and results.   Cost ~~ $150 for full service that includes dis-assembly, lubrication, cleaning and adjusting.

Then there are some movements intended to mirror genuine pieces with more complex designs like chrono or GMT movements.    Some of these are just poorly designed, with sketchy performance and reliability.   Others' with limited functionality, can run accurately, but with missing features or designs that do not accurately reflect gen pieces.

If you are new to the hobby, I'd suggest getting a mid-priced sub or similar non-chrono piece and have it serviced once received.

Omg are you serious? Do you have some addresses or people who can do that for me?

i wanna buy this watch

https://trustytime.shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_12&products_id=19961

but so many different factory’s and movements. It’s so hard!

in the first place I wanted to buy a rose gold day date! But I saw on internet dat the color was changing! So my second choose is de datejust

That one has a closed case back so if it’s an ETA clone it ‘should’ be good to go. If you buy it then you either just wear it until there’s a problem with the movement and then get it serviced (that’s what I do) Or send it to a watchsmith for a service when you buy it so it prolongs it’s life. 

When one thinks about it, it is really all in the mind!  Just to add my 2 bobs worth, I have always bought new sealed in silver plastic eta movements and have never had a problem with them!  Some even ran better than my genuine timepieces!   This was in the days when I could buy new eta movements for £45 which costed less than what it would cost to service them!  Not now!  
If I knew then what I know now, I would have bought a whole truck load of them as they are rugged precise and have very few moving parts in comparison to a genuine rolex movement!   The eta 2836 -2 movement is such a joy to dismantle and reassemble! 
Just in case you are not aware the economy line of rolex company Tudor have used eta movements in some of their most collectible  and prized watches that can set you back thousands of dollars!, pounds Euros rubles etc.  if the choice of movement is your concern, in my opinion you cannot go wrong with a genuine eta.   I have a rado watch with an eta that is running well which I have been wearing on a daily basis on and off  for over 17 years without a service, which at one stage I was thinking of pulling apart for spares once it started to get funny but I am now curious to see how long it can go until it is beyond repair!  You are taking this too seriously! buy and enjoy to good health!

16 hours ago, flamini87 said:

Omg are you serious? Do you have some addresses or people who can do that for me?

i wanna buy this watch

https://trustytime.shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_12&products_id=19961

in the first place I wanted to buy a rose gold day date! But I saw on internet dat the color was changing! So my second choose is de datejust

That's a nice watch and having that movement serviced (when it needs it) will be straight forward and won't cost an arm and leg.

"if the choice of movement is your concern, in my opinion you cannot go wrong with a genuine eta."

Very good advice imho. 

I have had good luck with swiss etas for many years.  They began getting very good when the 2450 series was introduced in the 1960s, then the 27xx a little later on, and 28xx models came out in the early 1970s.

Many replicas come with Asian 2824 or 2836 eta clones and they are usually Ok for a while.  If you plan on keeping the watch, be on the lookout for a genuine low mileage swiss eta at a reasonable price to replace it with sooner or later.  If you do not need it you can always sell it.

The rolex look-alike movements are much like Asian eta clones...usually Ok for a while but there are no parts available and the genuine rolex parts that will fit may run the cost up past the worth of the watch in a hurry.

Swatch Group Ltd. (makers of eta movements) is trying to slow down or stop movements and movement parts being sold to supply houses but with so many 'parts watches and parts movements' around they are not going to make much headway for many years to come. 

Swatch is following in the footsteps of rolex watch co who has been cutting off parts a little at a time for 20+ years and all they have basically accomplished is making many rolex owners mad because it limits their choice of going to an independent repair shop or getting skinned by an 'official' rwc repair outfit.

On 5/10/2020 at 2:45 AM, automatico said:

"if the choice of movement is your concern, in my opinion you cannot go wrong with a genuine eta."

Very good advice imho. 

I have had good luck with swiss etas for many years.  They began getting very good when the 2450 series was introduced in the 1960s, then the 27xx a little later on, and 28xx models came out in the early 1970s.

Many replicas come with Asian 2824 or 2836 eta clones and they are usually Ok for a while.  If you plan on keeping the watch, be on the lookout for a genuine low mileage swiss eta at a reasonable price to replace it with sooner or later.  If you do not need it you can always sell it.

The rolex look-alike movements are much like Asian eta clones...usually Ok for a while but there are no parts available and the genuine rolex parts that will fit may run the cost up past the worth of the watch in a hurry.

Swatch Group Ltd. (makers of eta movements) is trying to slow down or stop movements and movement parts being sold to supply houses but with so many 'parts watches and parts movements' around they are not going to make much headway for many years to come. 

Swatch is following in the footsteps of rolex watch co who has been cutting off parts a little at a time for 20+ years and all they have basically accomplished is making many rolex owners mad because it limits their choice of going to an independent repair shop or getting skinned by an 'official' rwc repair outfit.

yeaaah i was looking for a etas movement! bit that is very hard to find!

hand for al the replys!  love to read all you awnsers

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/8/2020 at 8:51 PM, flamini87 said:

i wanna buy this watch

How is that website? I want to make a purchase but I am not sure how reliable they are...