When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex MilSub ref.5517 Project: BUILD

ok, Ruby, my mistake. The 0 of 30 looked different from between 2 pics earlier and I thought they were different.

I guess it’s still early

Initially I had a Ruby insert installed:
7fb1b5bf487097def321fdc6c72fb725.jpg

On a recommendation from [mention=59902]hologramet[/mention] I swapped it out for one from [mention=47967]dlf[/mention]
4f50cc9e44bd68ef2e307afcdc996e3a.jpg

... et Voilà
01be426d04ccf5fb1499bdec6a697a98.jpg Edited by jackflash
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hello guys, I wanted to share my project story and ask you some questions.

— I started it from a genuine late 5513 (white gold index) with a poor dial. With a detailed PNG I found on internet I spent a lot of hours drawing a vector picture of the 5517 dial and ordered a negative in Switzerland. Then I have it printed one the dial. That was the most expensive part but the good point is having the negative, I can make dial again.

Insert and hands are aftermarket (found on eBay). Pearl is coming from the helenarou insert.

I sent everything at another Swiss company to have BGW9 lume painted (blue-ish with a good intensity) and finally, my watchmaker assembled everything, brushed all the shiny part of the case and added fixed lugs.

These last days I felt the will to improve it.

@jackflash you said your hands are coming from Yuki but your second hand is closer to the original 5517 second hand with a shorter part after the arrow and a shorter tail than the SM300. Are you sure you got it from Yuki ?

Also, you mentioned DLF for your insert ; who/what is it ? Your insert looks great ! I had some will to take one at ruby but found yours (DLF) better !

Thank you !

F3DEF79C-7804-4820-8219-3E213ECA655F.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Guys,  can you help me with this. I have a full build from HR and I love it. However, the bezel has always been an issue for me, it just seems too think and small. HR also used the plexi super dome which doesn't help (I'm not sure it's even accurate for a 5517). Question is, where can I get a proper bezel and insert from, one that is true to gen? I've heard clarks do a good 5513 bezel but I'm not sure it would fit on the HR case.

I've been in touch with Phong who seems very helpful. However, be wants $1650 jjst for the complete case (no dial, hands or movement). It's a little out of my budget 

Do you know if the bezel assembly will fit the HR case? 

I don’t know offhand. You’ll need to check the outer dimensions of the crystal on the HR case to make sure the retaining ring of the bezel assembly will fit.

On 4/9/2024 at 12:12 PM, jackflash said:

I don’t know offhand. You’ll need to check the outer dimensions of the crystal on the HR case to make sure the retaining ring of the bezel assembly will fit.

Thank you again. It may just be easier to go for the Phong complete case set up. It's bloody expensive but looks spot on. From all the cases, it looks the most accurate 

IMG-20240410-WA0037.jpg

IMG-20240410-WA0038.jpg

IMG-20240410-WA0039.jpg

IMG-20240409-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20240409-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20240409-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20240409-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20240409-WA0003.jpg

Just to add my two cents… for case sets check out seller Kuaredwatches on instagram, based out of VN. He offers full case sets for less than $1k.  He was on eBay until a couple of months ago. I’ve ordered dials from him. 

On the 5517 insert, Jensen’s (the bay) are decent. I’ve ordered many other parts from him except the 5517 insert. The shape of the ‘2’ in ‘20’ is incorrect. Once you see it, you can’t unsee it. I’m referring to the bottom left curve which leads to the flat line. Even from CAC, you need to watch the shape of the ‘2’. Some are good. Some are not. I use S Mazzariol’s 5517 photos for reference. 

10 minutes ago, mir36 said:

Just to add my two cents… for case sets check out seller Kuaredwatches on instagram, based out of VN. He offers full case sets for less than $1k.  He was on eBay until a couple of months ago. I’ve ordered dials from him. 

On the 5517 insert, Jensen’s (the bay) are decent. I’ve ordered many other parts from him except the 5517 insert. The shape of the ‘2’ in ‘20’ is incorrect. Once you see it, you can’t unsee it. I’m referring to the bottom left curve which leads to the flat line. Even from CAC, you need to watch the shape of the ‘2’. Some are good. Some are not. I use S Mazzariol’s 5517 photos for reference. 

Appreciate your feedback. What do you think of the phong cases (images above)?

Case looks good. Although the ‘20’ in the insert is also incorrect. Just decide whether you want a:

5513 circa 1972 onwards

5513 with 5517 engraving on the lug aka double reference - 1975 onwards? 

5517 - 1977 onwards?

and match the serial you want accordingly. 
you also want to consider whether you want W10 (army/SAS) or 0552 (navy/SBS) engravings. 

For my project I’m using VN dial and 5517 case, Jensen hands, and a CAC insert w/ correct ‘20.’ I’m just waiting to source a correct hacking 1570 from the same period. 

Edited by mir36

Regarding uncommon vintage submariners...

This is not about the milsub, but a '5513' type case can also be used to put a 'pre COMEX 5514' submariner together if anyone does not want to hunt down the $$ milsub case, dial/hands and bez insert.

I stuck a couple 'precoms' together using '5513' cases and non-operating H2 valves.  

The fixed spring bars were made using stainless steel rod stock similar to eBay item   284520669214   or a bracelet can be used.

A short piece of SS rod can be polished on one end and pressed into a hole drilled in the case for the He valve:

IMG_0465.thumb.JPG.8067b593426eb29c24f7b6161b8b07d7.JPG

I'll leave the fixed spring bar installation details out, but it was not too bad.  Imho, a bracelet is a better choice for a '5514' anyway.

A regular '5513' dial or COMEX logo dial can be used along with a standard bezel insert.

I would like to have a milsub but already had the '5514' COMEX parts.

My COMEX dials are not too hot, but I already had them too.

rolex 5514 - Search Images (bing.com)