When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken Rolex datejust 16030

kikine

Hello all,

Hope you are all fine with your family after this epidemic.

I have sourced Gen parts to build a Franken 16030 except the movement. At the beginning I wanted to build it alone by reading some tutorials but I don't really have experience. So I am looking for a Modder / watchmaker who can do it for me ( I am from France). Or just some good people who have time to help me with precious advices.

Thank you for reading and stay safe,

Y-

I built a couple of 16000 DJs back in 2008 and it was fairly simple. I used a 2836-2- back in the days when you could get a swiss one fairly easily. Then you need a DWO- date wheel overlay- you can pick those up from rafflesdials.com. The correct one has open 6/9s and round top3s. Hands came from Clark's but in your case CousinsUK would be an easier choice- DJ type hands for eta- 150/90/25. Also a movement ring- #2 from raffles is needed. You have to remove the dial feet from the DJ dial and glue the DWO into place- this is the tricky part and when that's done, you can use dial dots to attach the dial to the movement and you're ready to install the movement and dial in the case. You'll need some hold down tabs and a couple of screws. The Rolex 600 crown will screw on the movement stem, but you may have to trim the stem or if it's too short get another one. 

Ssteel is in the EU and you might contact him if you need some help.

I'd show you a pic of my two watches but Imageshack is acting up today. The models I built were the 16013 and 16014.  

• Like 1

People have used a 2824 and it may be that they used a dial spacer in doing so, but I don't know where they got the dial spacer from. They may have changed the canon pinion to a taller one- is it the H4, I don't know. I subscribe to the theory that a 2836 fits the 16000 DJ cases and the 2824 fits the 16200 DJ cases. In building my 16800 franken I also used a 2836 in an ST3035 case and it worked fine. And a ST3135 case takes a 2824 movement. The 2836 closely approximates the 3035 Rolex movement used in the DJ 16000s and the 2824 matches the 3135 movement. ST3035 and ST3135 are Startime replacement cases for the Rolex subs. The ST3035 case is no longer available.

I used a 2824-2 with H4 canon pinion in my gen 16014 case for my DJ build. Raffle's #2 ring worked. Wish Stilty still made his, as they were perfect. I later used a 2846 in another gen 16014 case for my 1016 build, and that turned out fine too. Just a matter of what you want to do.

• 3 weeks later...