When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Life in Alaska - midnight version

Nanuq

Tonight's sunset pic at midnight.  This is why we tolerate the long dark months, so we can have endless sunsets with the sunrise just around the corner.  :wub:

s_sunset.jpg

s_midnight.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cornerstone said:

So jealous of missing the long nights from the northern hemisphere.  (I was on about the same latitude as Juneau)

Funny thing about that, my boy lives in Kotzebue now, above the arctic circle, and he says the sun goes down at night.  Maybe just a smidgen but it goes down.  So much for math and tangents and arctic circles!

6 hours ago, Justasgood said:

Is that A Seikoxa?

Good eye, old friend.  It's the new Seiko SRP777 Turtle, a re-creation of the venerable 6309 diver.  Harold (Yobokies) has new parts for this case and for the mini-Turtle and they look fantastic.  He calls them the AXOD watches.  Orange Pro, Yellow Divingstar, Black Sharkhunter or Blue Caribbean ... roll yer own.

1 minute ago, Justasgood said:

It is so you!

Yeah, subtle ... understated ... never drawing attention, always happy to quietly live in the shadows.

:bangin:

One thing I've got to say, It took Seiko and Harold to finally make a set of Beads Of Rice endlinks that fit the cushion case.  When you drive vintage Doxa, you gotta be okay with the fact the doors never shut right and they rattle and jingle all the time.  Not so with the AXOD.  Rock solid.

20 hours ago, Nanuq said:

Tonight's sunset pic at midnight.  This is why we tolerate the long dark months, so we can have endless sunsets with the sunrise just around the corner.  :wub:

s_sunset.jpg

s_midnight.jpg

Hey mate..

Wonderful pic about sunset...and very nice watch Doxa. 😉

Ahhhhhh, it just looks like a Doxa.  It's actually a Seiko SRP dressed up like a Doxa.    :wub:

IMG_20200505_163233.jpg

IMG_7232.JPG

IMG_20200505_163506.jpg

I'm trying to decide if my next one will have the black dial with orange minutes hand, or the blue Caribbean dial.

axod_blue.jpg

On 6/9/2020 at 4:08 AM, Nanuq said:

Funny thing about that, my boy lives in Kotzebue now, above the arctic circle, and he says the sun goes down at night.  Maybe just a smidgen but it goes down.  So much for math and tangents and arctic circles!

Ah you have me questioning why the arctic circle is on a printed map.  If that's where it would be in a straight line, or in a vacuum - and earth being relatively famous for not being surrounded by vacuum, it seems an interesting line to commit to print.  (That's before earth wobble).  Perhaps we need a zone, or a 'vibe' of general arcticness where eye-mask headlamp combos could cover all the seasons?  :g:

Perhaps also a demarcation zone of 'sleepy bears' could be more practical as well for inexperienced travellers? 

Love the 'Soxa'

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cornerstone said:

Perhaps we need a zone, or a 'vibe' of general arcticness where eye-mask headlamp combos could cover all the seasons?  :g:

"General Arcticness"   :rofl:    

nome2.JPG

• Like 1

Midnight in Alaska   (contrast adjusted to look all dark and creepy)

fb9048d6399f226f7d98a59fa7df1619.jpg

00b6ca54fc8bf20fb0d76c41e40e0fa7.jpg

...when really it's plenty light enough outside to go for a mtn bike ride, then have a weenie roast on the deck with some friends. 

Behold the sacrificial Seiko ... soon to become a Caribbean "Soxa".

axod_blue.jpg

Here's a mind bender... midnight on the Kobuk River, might as well have a weenie roast with some friends!  When the sun refuses to go down, we just STAY up.  Sleep?  We sleep when we die.  It's summer in Alaska!

IMG_5788.JPG

• Like 2

Very cool - something seems extra great about bare feet or flip flops at midnight too.  Chef's kiss.

It makes me think how people further north (or south) must have made sense of the world in a very different way from near the equator.  An imagined deity from near the arctic circle would be viewed as quite the ass clown down by the equator, or vice versa. 

• Like 1