When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bracelet 7836

cla74

"so which mod do you recommend?"

You can press a 2mm pin through the end of the last link on each end to allow submariner type spring bars to pass through or install proper end links.  These bracelets are made for 1.8mm spring bars.

Note...grease the pins before pressing them in the end link so they can be removed with less hassle.

'Proper' end links = the sheet metal hollow oval type used on vintage oyster bracelets.  You need to make sure 2mm spring bars will pass through before installing them or enlarge them first.  My 7836 bracelets from Mary had 'figure 8' type end links and they will work but are the wrong type.  'Figure 8 type' = they look like a figure 8 when viewed from the side. 

On genuine bracelets, figure 8 end links were fitted to 7836 bracelets with end pieces (hoods) that were not easily removable.

Image result for rolex 7836 bracelet end links   From chrono-shop.net.

The hood is basically a hood/first link assembly and you have to spread the 'connecting link' apart to remove the hood.  Hellofamess.

Image result for rolex 7836 bracelet end links    From chrono-shop.net.

The proper end links should be an oval shape:  

Image result for replica rolex 7836 bracelet    From chrono-shop.net.  

I swapped my end links out for hollow oval types like oem bracelets came with, the end links I used came from an unknown brand flea market bracelet but worked fine.  The bottom side is split on them and you have to carefully spread them apart a little bit to fit the links to the Mary 7836 (or a similar bracelet) being careful not to put a crimp mark on the upper side from opening them up too far.

The Mary bracelets are basically a pretty good 7836 copy with the wrong style of hood.  If you use one as is it will be Ok but not 'proper'.  A 'proper replica' is a genuine oxymoron.  Ha!

Here are some images of proper 7836 bracelets:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=rolex+7836+bracelet&qpvt=rolex+7836+bracelet&FORM=IGRE

• 1 year later...

I use two lever style hand pullers, and sometimes these plastic tools you get from iFixit to fix iPhones, to unfold the links.  I then use brute finger strength to fold them closed, sometimes with the help of a wooden block to press against.  HTH

• 2 weeks later...

wanted to report back for future reference. it was much easier than i expected. here's a pic of the tools i used and the finished job. i removed 2 links, one on each side. it's not perfect, but i think it was a pretty clean job. here are the steps i used.

- use the pin pusher tool to insert it in the gap between the links, like you would if you were to push out pins.
- when inserted, use the pin pusher tool to pry it up a little whilst inserting the bezel removal tool from the top view. the bezel removal tool has a fine enough tip for you to easily push it in. when inserted enough, you will have enough leverage for you to use the bezel removal tool to slightly pry it open even more.
- when there is enough space, use a pair of fine needle nose pliers (i used xuron's fine nose smooth pliers) to open it even more. at this point, it's very easy to open the mid link. you just need very little force and fine tinkering to get it open enough for you to remove the whole link. the trick here is to open it enough so that the single link you're trying to remove can move 90 degrees from the bracelet (the mid link is opened at about 30 degrees).
- to close it up, wrap the bracelet with a cloth and use a pair of stronger pliers to crimp it down.

i hope this helps anyone in the future :).

also, this was a cartel 7836 bracelet. looks like it's the same as mary's. not sure if i want to replace the figure 8 connecting link. that one looks to be a little more challenging.

DSC_7427s.jpg

Edited by pezzy