When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Frank Rolex 1500 Help

Patpat1377

Well here we are, after looking for less than 15 mins on a frank rolex build post I've decided to jump on the train myself... Just one issue being I have no knowledge whatsoever on frank builds. 
People constantly tell me that there are numerous posts out there on forums but guess I'm just unlucky and not able to find them. Im hoping this will help numerous people with the task of building their first frank watch:

Where I am currently at with my build...
•Gen 1500 watch case
•Gen 1500 Dial
•Gen Crown (having issues with the threading currently,,, it seems like only one thread catches and doesnt screw completely down... Not too sure what the issue is)
•ETA 2824-2 Movement
•Yuki spacer for the watch
•Raffles Tudor watch hands
•AfterMkt sapphire crystal

Heres where I really need help:

Ive heard that the dwo has to be modifies in some way and im quite frankly unsure of how that works. I have the eta movement dial spacer which im hoping gives enough clearance but maybe someone can clarify

I'm also not too sure of the best way of going about putting the dial onto the movement. I do realize that the legs for the 1570 movement are diff from the 2824 and will have to be snapped off. Where do I go from there? Installation using dial dots?

Last but not least, the overall fastening of the movement to the case. I feel like this is sort of self explanatory but I'd just like to inform of myself the tasks that have to be done to accomplish this.

Someone please send help :)

Ive attached photos for people who'd like to see

4TYqK.jpg 4TOD8.jpg 4TyTv.jpg

Hello Patpat,
this is going to be a really nice build. Congrats! I have been working on a frank 1500, too and I was wondering about the same questions.
I used a dwo from a seller from Australia who makes really nice dwo's as I think. But Raffles does good dwo's, too. For the dwo has to be stuck onto the original datewheel both must be sanded down very thin. There is not much space under the dial and if datewheel plus dwo is too thick it does not move properly and you will have issues.
I have cut the dialfeet because the original dialfeel position does not fit on eta 2824. I then stuck the dial onto the movement with dial stickers but always had issues when the watch got warm while wearing in summer. The dial began to move :-( I will never use stickers again, it is too messy.
So I installed new dialfeet on the 2824 positions.
I fixed the movement with screws in the case. I don't know the proper English word for them (screw clamps ???). These are the screws you normally use to fix a movement within a case.
I hope I could help you and the more experienced gents here may tell us both if the way I described is the right one.
Good luck!

"I don't know if a sapphire crystal will work."

I tried one of the sapphire crystal conversions on a 15000 case and it did not work out very well.  The second hand rubbed the crystal because the sapphire crystal is flat where the original acrylic crystal is domed.

The newer sapphire conversions supposedly use a convex crystal but I have not tried one.

Sand the back side of the dwo and maybe the front side of the eta datewheel. Maybe the eta spacer ring will hold the dial up a bit to give you the clearance you need. DWOs are always trickier on the 2824s as opposed to the 2836 where there's more room to work with.