When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Crystal and ideas for 1665 project

altesporsche

Hey fellas, looking to get some opinions here on a crystal for my 1665 build. 

Bascically im looking for the dome that doesnt look like a top hat. I have found a few genuine units, but they are service crystals and it appears they are the top hat look, tall an flatish, i dont like that. what are the options out there ? clark ? is there a certian gen i should be looking at for that low domed look that you see most DRSDs with ? 

also been hunting for a while for a side shot of the CGs on these DRSDs and its hard to get them from the bottom or side on to get the profile. I also searched for reshaping tips on the vietnam cases and cant really find anything. Id send it out for re shaping but im good with doing it myself, plus im too excited to get this built. 

Hey fellas, looking to get some opinions here on a crystal for my 1665 build. 
Bascically im looking for the dome that doesnt look like a top hat. I have found a few genuine units, but they are service crystals and it appears they are the top hat look, tall an flatish, i dont like that. what are the options out there ? clark ? is there a certian gen i should be looking at for that low domed look that you see most DRSDs with ? 

also been hunting for a while for a side shot of the CGs on these DRSDs and its hard to get them from the bottom or side on to get the profile. I also searched for reshaping tips on the vietnam cases and cant really find anything. Id send it out for re shaping but im good with doing it myself, plus im too excited to get this built. 

Hi C,

Here’s a photo of the Clark superdome T39 on mine. I went for a new aftermarket crystal for better water resistance, compared to a NOS gen plexi which would have close to 20 years old.

7fc5d6bda856a37fd1d8cdd12ff6b861.jpg

Are you using a Viet case?

1665 CGs must be ovals, the shape is specific to the 1665, you’ll see clear examples on HQ Milton.

Here’s what it should look like:

ee40a97ffb936345de7eb34646ff98b7.jpg

Lugs will need reshaping too, the upper edge of the lugs should slope down from the crown towards the tips as below. The Viet case is a straight line along the upper edge of the lugs (no slope).

28295ca0d0bafe5b3ddab09ddb7e8636.jpg

nice one @Tribal! nice build! however Im looking for a dome moreso than the flat top. 

@thorne awesome man !! thank you for the insight on the crown guard. yea its a vietnam case so i suspect ill have to do a bit of reshaping on the lugs and the CGs. 

when you say "Lugs will need reshaping too, the upper edge of the lugs should slope down from the crown towards the tips as below." are you referring to the area i have with the green or the red, case lugs or crown guard lugs ? I notice the top of the vietnam case has the guards very chunky and rounded much like the ceramic subs.   imageproxy.jpg.b090068d406cd76e4d7dc46c9e6a0b5a.jpg

7 minutes ago, Tribal said:

You need to thin the CG's inside out, maybe shorten them, depends on the Case. They are more rounded on the front.emoji106.png

When i get home in a few weeks, ill have to snap a few shots of the case and compare thoughts on it.  Ive spent a lot of  money on this build lol so i want it to be as correct as humanly possible. The case shaping bit i have not done much of since the days of reshaping Pre V panerai cases lol 

• Like 1

nice one [mention=280]Tribal[/mention]! nice build! however Im looking for a dome moreso than the flat top. 

[mention=27923]thorne[/mention] awesome man !! thank you for the insight on the crown guard. yea its a vietnam case so i suspect ill have to do a bit of reshaping on the lugs and the CGs. 

when you say "Lugs will need reshaping too, the upper edge of the lugs should slope down from the crown towards the tips as below." are you referring to the area i have with the green or the red, case lugs or crown guard lugs ? I notice the top of the vietnam case has the guards very chunky and rounded much like the ceramic subs.   imageproxy.jpg.b090068d406cd76e4d7dc46c9e6a0b5a.jpg

I meant the edge of the lug which is between the red square and the green rectangle.

If you flip the case upside down, the lower and upper edges should form a ‘canoe’ shape.

e4460a9e76be159023b309f9acae9c57.jpg

If you flip the Viet case upside down, you’ll see the edge along the bezel ring is not curved and is quite flat.
  • Like 1

@thorne Awesome ! i see what you are saying now. nice way of explaining it. Once i get the case ill have a look and maybe ask some questions if you dont mind. Cheers fellas!!! 

Anyone else who feels thy want to chime in on info for the shaping it could also become a good resource post eventually. 

Here are some reference shots from my 1972 Sea Dweller.  This has had A LOT of diving use all over the world so the shape of the CGs and lugs will possibly be a little worn down.  But the brushing on top of the lugs is factory so those have not changed shape.  In these pics it's wearing a factory service T-39 crystal.  Note this has the factory 702 crown which is slightly thinner than a contemporary 703 so it makes the CGs look different by comparison.

P9250057.JPG

P9250066.JPG

P9250067.JPG

P9250055.JPG

P9250054.JPG

P9250060.JPG

P9250059.JPG

P9250064.JPG

P9250056.JPG

Since those pics were taken I've switched the service crystal for a factory vintage Tropic 39 Superdome and that changes how the dial looks.  I've found the Clark T-19 Dome is very close to this look, though thinner in cross section so the dial won't look quite like this.  Notice how the rehaut disappears in the curvature of the dome.

img_1649.jpg

img_3787.jpg

I hope these help.  Please let me know if you need more shots from specific angles.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, thorne said:

No worries mate.

Of course those Viet cases look brand new, so the case will need to be vintagised and edges will need to be softened to look like a 40 year old case.

Tripdog over on RWI did the casework on mine.

9503f788e6e172c7561eec05ac229a1d.jpg

That is an incredible watch !!!  ive seen his work and ive yet to be disapointed with it. 

@Nanuq wow !! thats a freaking stunning watch ! thank you for the detailed photos, its making me see through the photos and things you have all mentioned an idea of what needs to change on my case. 

I apreciate the help everyone!  thank you ! 

• 1 year later...