When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1930's Wyler watch, automatic and water proof watches of the time

Timelord

I didn't want to hijack my own previous post "mvt wont regulate?" so I thought I would start this new title which may be of some interest to those that have a liking for tool watches.

My visit with the old time family friend watchmaker Luigi became very interesting when we were speaking of Rolex watches and how I was into the Franken watch version of the Rolex.  He was very open minded about this topic and liked my F520117 noobmariner (courtesy of Alligoat) very much with how it served my purpose.  He said to me whatever makes you happy is what matters. I would have worn something like that myself.  He then pulled out of his drawer a couple of watches to show me which he valued as special to him, not because of any monetary worth, but because he thought were very under rated for what they were.

They were a couple of 1930's watches known as "Wyler"  They were both rectangular and both in stainless steel.

One was labelled as water proof and the other was automatic.  In the 1930's they were a great tool watch for that time.  We hardly hear of them today, but he went on about them that he worked both on Rolex, Blancpain, Jaeger LeCoultre and Wyler, having a very soft spot for Wyler.  I was discussing this over a sip of Strega Liqueur and upon coming home I did some research on this watch.  I thought what a joy this hobby truly is !!!!!.  Nothing else comes close.  There are many websites that speak of this watch, but I thought I would add the following link which shows a picture of the watches that were eye candy to me from that visit.

https://www.fratellowatches.com/automatic-wyler-crichettino/

• Like 2

What a great post! And we tend to see ourselves as technically superior to those who came a century before us. It does my heart good to read articles like this. Thank you!

I have a few vintage Wyler watches mostly from the 1960s/1970s.  They all have high quality cases, dials, and movements, most movements being ETA.  They made a lot of 'front loader' watches in the 60s/70s and this prevented idiot 'collectors' from poking the movements with screwdrivers and spraying them full of WD40 so many of the older watches are still good.

Wyler attempted a comeback using the brand name Wyler Vetta a few years ago but they did not have a lot of success.

Product Image

I just hate driving out of town for 2 hours, but on this occasion, it paid dividends.  I finally got an answer to my movement regulation problem & discovered something interesting about the Wyler brand and of the different automatic mechanism they patented.  I was happy to see that this 90 + gentleman is still with us and of the conversation we had. 

In particular I was blown away with his story of what I mentioned in my previous post of his most challenging experience while learning his art, that his master gave him a hair spring that was twisted and made up like into a ball.  His mission to pass was to get it straight, reshape it and get it working again.  He had to replace it in the balance wheel and Collette and get it right with the screwed in balance weights.  He then had to set it in beat getting it half way between the banking pins and got it accurate to almost chronometer level.  That is BRAIN SURGERY of the trade area.  It would not pay for anyone to do this today, as it would cost a fortune, but good skill developing.

By the way for those are not teetotallers, I would try a sip of Strega Liqueur especially for the winter months as it is a good pick-me-up.  Disclaimer I have no vested interest in this . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strega_(liqueur)

• Like 2

Something else about Wyler watches...

In the mid 1950s they brought out the 'Wyler Incaflex' balance assembly.  It was a balance wheel with flexible spokes that would absorb shocks to the balance wheel as well as having the 'Incabloc' shock system.  Balance wheel travel was limited so the hairspring would not get damaged.  These watches were about as rugged as any mechanical watch made, probably quite a bit more than the famous 'one drop' rolex tool watches made back then.

Just about the only mechanical watches tougher than a Wyler Incaflex were Timex etc pin lever models.

OP.bxm0p1VqGmzubQ474C474?w=160&h=150&rs=

https://watchaday.blogspot.com/2008/09/vintage-wyler-incaflex.html

Still have a nos RR Approved manual wind model from the 1960s/1970s.  Here is what it looks like:

Image result for wyler mechanical railroad wristwatch on eBay

Pic from 'My Vintage Watch Collection' on Pinterest.

4 hours ago, cornerstone said:

This is fantastic.  What craft to be able to do that. 

The watch story was good, bonus drink recommendation was even better!!  Interesting, they do sell it near me, but very expensive.  :)

I have actually tried Strega liqueur at an Italian wedding!  The party felt like it was in my mouth where everyone was invited!  Great stuff!it is the best kept secret in my town!  

1 hour ago, automatico said:

Something else about Wyler watches...

In the mid 1950s they brought out the 'Wyler Incaflex' balance assembly.  It was a balance wheel with flexible spokes that would absorb shocks to the balance wheel as well as having the 'Incabloc' shock system.  Balance wheel travel was limited so the hairspring would not get damaged.  These watches were about as rugged as any mechanical watch made, probably quite a bit more than the famous 'one drop' rolex tool watches made back then.

Just about the only mechanical watches tougher than a Wyler Incaflex were Timex etc pin lever models.

OP.bxm0p1VqGmzubQ474C474?w=160&h=150&rs=

https://watchaday.blogspot.com/2008/09/vintage-wyler-incaflex.html

Still have a nos RR Approved manual wind model from the 1960s/1970s.  Here is what it looks like:

Image result for wyler mechanical railroad wristwatch on eBay

Pic from 'My Vintage Watch Collection' on Pinterest.

wow!  Just as I was about to quit this hobby from the parts issue, something like this comes up just to pull me beck!   Never heard of these balance wheels! How ingenious !  Sad that this brand of watch was not as successful as the other big guns  Thanks for sharing and BTW this has been a great thread!

• 4 weeks later...

Really interesting stuff. Coincidentally I was just working on getting a Wyler automatic back in motion last night. I looked at the balance wheel and thought, man, no screw-in weights around the edges, seems cheap! Apparently I was dead wrong.

The most fascinating thing about watches to me is the "losers" of history.. the numerous brands and inventors that were cutting-edge in their day but for whatever reason are all but forgotten now. Gruen is one of my favorite examples.

A bit ago I stumbled on this excellent article about two early Fortis automatics designed by John Harwood, whom Rolex eventually had to give credit to in its advertising of the perpetual rotor design. One is a bumper auto in a waterproof case with no crown, time being set by turning the bezel, all in the 1920s mind you. The second is even more weird, a dress watch similar to the Wyler above but using a pivoting lug to translate strap flexion to a mechanical pushrod. The designs, broken down well in the article, are really incredible. 

O9NmF6o_d~01.jpg

• Like 1