When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I have the money now but can't find a gen worth buying

krim

11 minutes ago, krim said:

Great idea and great watch, I find the design very interesting and in real life it looks a lot better than pictures I found. 

I think that would be something to put in a rotation and probably be worn a few days a month as it's quite striking watch. After I buy something now or if I choose to buy a rep for my primary watch then that would be a consideration for the next piece in the collection. 

I'm kind of in a similar boat as you. I have the money now to be able to afford a nice gen, but wasn't sure what to get. I really, really want the Daytona 116500LN with the white dial, but I've found it impossible to get through an AD, and I refuse to pay that much above retail on the secondary market. I was also strongly considering the Freak X. However, I already have a gen Franck Muller Crazy Hours which I really like, but that's also one of those unique watches. So I've settled on something more classic and decided to get a genuine Submariner 116610LN. My AD tells me I should get it in the next month or two!

Edited by Muttsta

21 minutes ago, Muttsta said:

I'm kind of in a similar boat as you. I have the money now to be able to afford a nice gen, but wasn't sure what to get. I really, really want the Daytona 116500LN with the white dial, but I've found it impossible to get through an AD, and I refuse to pay that much above retail on the secondary market. I was also strongly considering the Freak X. However, I already have a gen Franck Muller Crazy Hours which I really like, but that's also one of those unique watches. So I've settled on something more classic and decided to get a genuine Submariner 116610LN. My AD tells me I should get it in the next month or two!

For the Daytona, unless you go and buy a regular in stock watch from Rolex they won't even put you on the waiting list. 

You'll just have to pay the markup, but it's relatively easy to sell if you want to sell on, so you shouldn't loose too much money on it. 

I have a rep crazy hours, is a fun watch to wear. Gen must be lovely.

can't go wrong with a sub. It ticks every box  iconic, beautiful, historical , reliable and excellent value $$$ retention.

18 minutes ago, krim said:

For the Daytona, unless you go and buy a regular in stock watch from Rolex they won't even put you on the waiting list. 

You'll just have to pay the markup, but it's relatively easy to sell if you want to sell on, so you shouldn't loose too much money on it. 

I have a rep crazy hours, is a fun watch to wear. Gen must be lovely.

can't go wrong with a sub. It ticks every box  iconic, beautiful, historical , reliable and excellent value $$$ retention.

Yes, I love my crazy hours. I'm not too worried about price retention tbh. Only time it bothers me is when you buy a watch, and in a year or two its value goes down by half. In that case I'd rather just buy the watch when its a year or two old. It's unlikely I'll ever sell any of the gen's that I end up buying anyway.

That was part of the reason I bought this submariner. To start getting in my AD's good books. I'd also like to get the blue/gold two-tone Submariner one today.

IMG_3736.JPG

13 minutes ago, Muttsta said:

Yes, I love my crazy hours. I'm not too worried about price retention tbh. Only time it bothers me is when you buy a watch, and in a year or two its value goes down by half. In that case I'd rather just buy the watch when its a year or two old. It's unlikely I'll ever sell any of the gen's that I end up buying anyway.

That was part of the reason I bought this submariner. To start getting in my AD's good books. I'd also like to get the blue/gold two-tone Submariner one today.

IMG_3736.JPG

Gorgeous watch, wear it in good health. 

Love the long island case. 

Hope when you get sub and then onto the Daytona in a few years at retail. Hopefully they will see you are the 'real' customer whom they are looking for i.e  isn't a flipper and is going to keep buying watches in the future from them. 

Might be an idea for myself as would love to buy a milgauss before it ends production anyway and ask if can put my name down for a panda daytona.

I don't know why I've been put off batman, pepsi. What do you feel about them

6 minutes ago, krim said:

Gorgeous watch, wear it in good health. 

Love the long island case. 

Hope when you get sub and then onto the Daytona in a few years at retail. Hopefully they will see you are the 'real' customer whom they are looking for i.e  isn't a flipper and is going to keep buying watches in the future from them. 

Might be an idea for myself as would love to buy a milgauss before it ends production anyway and ask if can put my name down for a panda daytona.

I don't know why I've been put off batman, pepsi. What do you feel about them

I'm honestly not a huge fan of the new batman and pepsi models. I just really don't like the new bracelet style. I would get one of the older models though. I don't think I would like them more than a classic Submariner though.

Hopefully I can get a Daytona in a few years time. I'm sure I'll have to buy something else in the interim.

10 minutes ago, Muttsta said:

I'm honestly not a huge fan of the new batman and pepsi models. I just really don't like the new bracelet style. I would get one of the older models though. I don't think I would like them more than a classic Submariner though.

Hopefully I can get a Daytona in a few years time. I'm sure I'll have to buy something else in the interim.

Ah, I actually prefer the Jubilee bracelet on them. Makes it look more of a jewellery piece than a tool watch. 

There are some amazing bargains with Chopard L.U.C with the micro rotor complication on the used market. Lovely movements and interesting dials

3 minutes ago, krim said:

Ah, I actually prefer the Jubilee bracelet on them. Makes it look more of a jewellery piece than a tool watch. 

There are some amazing bargains with Chopard L.U.C with the micro rotor complication on the used market. Lovely movements and interesting dials

This is not an expensive watch by any means, but I've had my eye on this one:
https://mrjoneswatches.com/collections/mens-watches/products/last-laugh-tattoo-xl

Just seems like a cool and fun piece

3 minutes ago, Muttsta said:

https://mrjoneswatches.com/collections/mens-watches/products/last-laugh-tattoo-xl

very cool find

The memento mori style and love the novel way of telling time in the mouth of the skull

Had a look at the rest of the pieces, fun collection

Edited by krim

1 minute ago, Muttsta said:

I was thinking of getting one, and having a custom black hornback alligator strap made for it

I was just thinking the same thing. You could really put some nice colours in the stitching to make it pop

37 minutes ago, Muttsta said:

I trained in Horology with the guy that puts those watches together and owns Mr Jones watches!