When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1016 hands, again

Serafino

My 1016 project is heating up, and I need to get my hands sorted.  Sadly the correct length ones from H are still out of stock.  Does anyone have any other sources or ideas?  At this point I would even pay a premium for a crafty one-off.  Thanks in advance for any hints, leads, or condolences!  

12 hours ago, Serafino said:

My 1016 project is heating up, and I need to get my hands sorted.  Sadly the correct length ones from H are still out of stock.  Does anyone have any other sources or ideas?  At this point I would even pay a premium for a crafty one-off.  Thanks in advance for any hints, leads, or condolences!  

Depends on what type of 1016 you're making, the reference evolved a fair bit over time. The earlier radium hands are harder to get than the later tritium ones.

I'd be interested in hearing more about which aspect of the evolution you're referring to?

I'm focused on minute hand length.  It is my understanding that short sub hands are service hands or arguably very late originals.  As to the curved aspect, if that's an option this will be the first I've heard of it.  That would suit my project well, I would love to know where to get them.  I might even sacrifice minute hand length for that.  If you are thinking in terms of lume color, the hands will be relumed in any case.  Thanks!

Well well there I go making assumptions again.  Looks like Yuki and Raffles sub hands are curved, my mistake.  Still looking for a supplier for 13 mm from center minute hand.  Thanks.

Also, has anyone had any luck setting a curve to a flat minute hand?

If i have to use sub hands for a build, i either use gen (with gen movement) or TC hour hand or Vietnam hour hand + HR minute hand + ETA 116610 seconds hand (which has a slightly longer tapered front; therefore, it is good for building certain periods of 1016).

IMO, Clark, Yuki, stock cartel, and Startime sub hands look nothing like gen. I don't understand the praise about them haha. I would say HR's sub hands is the better one, but far from perfect.

If you are dying for something quick, Rafflestime (not rafflesdial) sub hands look quite nice: they look like they have the right proportions and they are cut very nicely:
20200726-213710-1.jpg

Rafflestime minute hand measures 12.5mm from centre to tip.

Edited by pompompurin
  • Like 1

i just compared my rafflestime hands to my JF 16610 hands (and i previously compared the JF 16610 hands to gen hands when i had access to gen hands).
IMO, rafflestime ETA sub hands are the closest accessible ETA hands set to gen - even closer than HR hands by far.
Apart from very minor flaws, the length and proportion is matching, and it definitely looks the part. 

Edited by pompompurin
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to pompompurin I have some of the RT hands on the way.  Picked up some Clark's just out of curiosity, have some Yuki's from a while ago.  Has anyone got the ones from Startime lately?  They illustrate an intriguing seconds hand, but 3+ years ago they seem to have been sending out something different.

Are all generic merc hands made of plated brass?  Are they chrome plated usually?  Is there anyone who can re-plate hands, for instance if a had a standard hour and second hand and wanted a "gilt" minute hand plated to match those?  Thanks again for any info.

"Are all generic merc hands made of plated brass?"

Most are plated brass.  Some are advertised as stainless steel but not many are really steel.

"Are they chrome plated usually?"

Yes, or goldtone of some sort.  Some higher grade hands may be white or yellow gold plated but probably not many now with the high gold prices.  Older vintage hands may be gold plated.  Chrome is more durable than gold plating anyway.  No telling what is used for goldtone plating at the factory level.

"Is there anyone who can re-plate hands, for instance if a had a standard hour and second hand and wanted a "gilt" minute hand plated to match those?"

Yes.  Any jeweler who has a gold plating outfit can do it...if they will.  Hands are delicate and many do not want to take a chance on bending them or losing the luminous paste.  The hands need to be cleaned first and this will sometimes damage the lume filler.  I had some silvertone hands plated with gold and it worked Ok.  We did not remove the lume and it stayed in the hands and looked the same as before.

I do not know what type of lume was used but it was 4 or 5 years ago and might have been Luminova. 

Gold plated hands (using real gold) are very easy to scratch and you need to use a small piece of plastic bag etc between the hand and hand pusher tool.

Thanks!  Actually what I want is to chrome or whatever plate the gilt hand to match the others, so they are all 'silver'.  Oh and I don't mind about lume, going to get them lumed to match my dial when this all finally comes together.

Edited by Serafino

"Actually what I want is to chrome or whatever plate the gilt hand to match the others, so they are all 'silver'."

Ok.  You might also ask about rhodium plating the hands as this is what is used on diamond mountings on yellow gold rings to make the diamond 'jump' or to give white gold more 'bling'.  Rhodium is very high $$...it can be 10 to 25 times more expensive than gold plating but is much more durable  

Chrome plating is more complicated than gold plating on a small scale.

Pen plating is another option and you can do it yourself after a bit of practice.  Pen plating is basically an electrified magic marker dipped into a gold/cyanide (!) mix.  I have done it and it turned out fine.  Just do not breathe the fumes.  :animal_rooster:  Ack!

When you get ready...try a 'test set' or two and see how it goes. 

https://pepetools.com/blogs/news/gold-plating-demystified

https://www.goldn.co.uk/how-to/different-applications-pen-plating-kits/

https://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-Gold-plating-Super-Simple-/