When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A good possible substitute for eta 2824-2

horologist

While I was  checking my emails, eBay sent me a list of possible purchase interests.  I found item number 174253614078 from a German seller quite interesting as it is a ronda R150 claiming to be Swiss made replacement for eta 2824-2.   It looked appealing as it seems to have the incabloc set up in place of the 3 prong spring on the balance!  Hopefully this may be the answer to avoiding those awful clones made in Far East sweat shops. My  interest in this is if spare parts are easier to obtain than eta and if an equivalent for eta 2836-2 is available from their selections.  Hope this is of some help!

Great link!  Under the surface it sort of reminds me of the Seiko with the pall levers.  The automatic works seems a bit of a mess, but when comparing with the  odds and the gods against it, there isn’t much of a choice left!   

What attracted me was that it is “supposedly Swiss made”, has the Incabolc style setting in place of the horrible diashock spring on the eta and hopefully that spares would be more readily available than eta parts,, !  Who knows?   I would most likely take a gamble on this one Instead of those eta junk clones that come from the far south or (north) which have given me nothing but grief and to my pocket!  Maybe this seems too good to be true. Only time will tell, 

"The automatic works seems a bit of a mess, but when comparing with the  odds and the gods against it, there isn’t much of a choice left!"

Yeah, it sure has a long string of cogs between the rotor and mainspring.   Sorta reminds me of an old A. Schild 1716 but the 1716 is a lot simpler.  The A/S was fine if you did not set the time a lot (offset 'canon pinion').  You see them in old Rado, Jules Jurgensen etc automatics. 

The omega 1000 series was like this too for manual winding and they were not too hot...many politely called them junk.  The automatics were not much better imho.  They were the last Hurrah! for omega before they bit the dust as an independent manufacturer.                                                                                                                                                     

Now omegies are swatchie watchies and do not sell parties to indie shopies.  NPFY!  

Always liked JJ watches, even some modern quartz models.  This one for example:

Jules Jurgensen  7795IF Watch

http://www.bluedial.com/7795IF.htm