When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Today's funny...

automatico

Termites!

Honest descriptions abound as usual in the genuine rolex marketplace...

"Excellent case that has just returned from polish."

1979 Vintage Rolex Submariner 1680 photo, #9

"Excellent case that has just returned from polish."

https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/939yk4on/1979-vintage-rolex-submariner-1680-A3281

No need to worry about this rotten case watch being hard to sell because there is a potential buyer born every minute:

"Doesn't bother me in the slightest.  I feel.theynare referencing the over appearance and condition with the caeback on."

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=762147

This 'potential buyer' exhibits superior watch knowledge and intelligence judging by their typing/spelling skills.   :animal_rooster:

I think a lot of people underestimate the seriousness of pitting in an expensive gen, especially for a vintage piece that has collector's value.

As pitting is localized corrosion which creates areas with small holes, the structural integrity of the watch and its water resistance could worsen further if preventative measures aren't taken.

I guess this is one of the main reasons why Rolex switched to 904L after years of observation. However, not even 904L is 100% corrosion proof.

I just love the way they put brand new chamfers on an old watch!

The winding crown doesn't have the three dots on it, so it's not a 702 or 703 trip lock crown- odd, the 700 crown was long gone by the time this watch was built. This watch would have originally come with the 702 crown and could have a 703 crown if it was changed out during a later service. To put a 700 crown on a later watch makes no sense to me.

The lume on the dial is lighter on the left and darker on the right- could this be indicative of water infiltration at some point? Given the pitting, one could assume this watch spent a lot of time in a corrosive environment- i.e. saltwater.

380B end links are odd also- weren't those used on the 9315. And the sharp teeth on the bezel indicate it's a replacement. 

• 4 weeks later...

More excitement today in that same RF thread over "respected seller" getting caught selling a relumed watch as original.  Does the bottom fall out of that market someday when they no longer have the means of telling what's original or not?

"Does the bottom fall out of that market someday when they no longer have the means of telling what's original or not?"

My guess is many 'Rolexperts' can not reliably tell a professionally prepared vintage 55xx, 1680, 1655 etc with a high grade properly aged replica case using a genuine movement, insert, and dial.  When they find out they have ended up with one, you can bet they will (more than likely) get amnesia in a hurry and 'forget' it is not 100% proper.

(I know a bit about human nature, being part human.)

As for the bottom falling out of the market...the main thing to remember is the buyer sets the selling price, not the seller.  Think about it. 

When the buyers have had enough, the market will cool down and prices will fall.  How much prices fall will depend on how fast and how far the market itself falls. 

Meanwhile, some sellers will stick to their high prices trying to make a profit or get even.  After a few years they are referred to as Watch Museum Curators.

I am a quartz Disney character watch Museum Curator myself.   :pimp:

Along with a 1948 Popeye watch like this one:

Image result for 1948 Popeye Watch

Picture from Collectors Weekly.

• Like 1

I find the crisis of authenticity hilarious. The experts are getting better along with the replica parts so I don't think the prices will ever fall that much, but it's funny how most in that community are just raring to pounce on someone at any sign of a fake

I will always stick to Ebay and thankfully forums like this one have given me the knowledge and ability to judge quality in watches. Whether it's original or aftermarket isn't a major concern of mine if it looks and feels the part.