When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6542 teardown bezel assembly PIC request

Ronin

After looking through my stack of Rolex "print" books, and some online searches, ebay parts, I have yet to find a good exploded view of the 6542 bezel assembly.

I have worked on plenty of 55xx/16xx Rolex's with the crystal, retaining ring, tension ring bezel.  But, the 65xx series eludes me.  I have only played with reps with the wire retainer.

Any help showing quality photos of GEN/GEN-like construction of the top half of a 65xx case series would be a help.  Thanks!

Hi Ronin, let's see if these pics help.  AFAIK the newer 5513  et al  are held on by friction between the bezel and ring.  The bezel literally snaps over the ring with an interference fit, and the dished spring exerts upward pressure onto the bezel, creating friction between the top of the bezel and underside of the ring.  Press down to turn.

For the older models, the bezel snaps over the ring, again with an interference fit.  The retaining ring is triangular in cross section, and the wire spring sits beneath it, making friction against the underside of the triangle.  I've found I can bend the wire spring to accentuate the points of its hexagon, and get more friction.

These are all gen

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

ring_gen.jpg

These are my MQ 6538, built with the same gen construction, same triangular ring

bezel1.jpg

bezel3.jpg

• Like 1

That is exactly what I was wondering and looking for.  I actually have a MQ version and was wondering if it was correct. If I comprehend correctly. I can remove the triangular cut ring just like on the 55xx to facilitate crystal changes. I can also reform the wire to stiffen the bezel rotation. 

Thanks

Yes the triangular ring compresses the crystal onto the rehaut neck.  Then you can see in pic #4 how I changed the flats on the wire retaining ring they are more like points, and give more friction against the ring.  Then the bezel is held more tightly against the retaining ring.

• Thanks 1