When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Parts, Parts, Parts, and less Parts...

automatico

Many of us have vintage and modern genuine watches and need parts now and then.  The link below gives some valuable information about identifying and ordering parts.

My motto is 'No Parts For You' and it is true now more than ever before because vintage parts are being used up or discarded and modern parts are not being sold to supply houses by the watch factories. 

For common vintage watch movements, I no longer look for parts but look for movements because they are often cheaper than a part or two and easier to find.  

As for modern mechanical watches (genuine rolex in particular)...I have given up on them.  A smart move imho.

Parts chasing info:

http://www.ofrei.com/page892.html

"Care to guess at the average cost to service a 1570 in 10 years, say with some minor part broken?"

I found this on the 'net:

"I called Dallas the other day and got one of the typical ladies on the phone with their standard very nice down home southern style politeness who confirmed this. She said they do have some older hands in stock both here and in Switzerland and they would do their best to try and match my existing dial with some new hands. 

This is another benefit of sending a watch to the service center because I doubt that a watchmaker at a local AD has the time or access to older parts let alone replace 24 parts at no charge."

"Also, we recently had a gmt 1675 done and the overhaul on anything like that with a plastic crystal is considered " classic " by Rolex and they charge for a basic overhaul $1100 , and this is same for like a sub 1680."

If the basic charge today is $1100...in 10 years it will probably be over $2000.