When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A/6538 build

Silver Fox

Hello,

My first post on the group so please be gentle.  I'm looking at building an A/6538 Burford Submariner replica using a Tiger Concept case as the starting point.  Would anyone be able to recommend where I can get the lugs at 12 o'clock and the case back either stamped or engraved. I tried my local 'trophy' shop and they looked at me like I had two heads. UK based. Many thanks in advance. 

• 6 months later...

This project hasn't progressed very far, work commitments and lockdown :-(.  I love the HR case, but the bezel clicks clockwise rather than being bi-directional non clicking.  Has anyone fixed this on a HR 6538 case? MTIA.  Might use the HR case for a 6200 project, or would any of you kind folk recommend a more appropriate case?

Things may have changed since the last time I spent time going through the dealers' listings, but Silix used to have a 6538 rep that had a case similar to what you might need for an A6538 & it was reasonably priced. So you might start there for the case.

Generally, I have found that, when attempting to recreate rarer models (i.e., the A6538), you should factor in the likelihood of some Dremeling or shaping modifications in your plans. In some cases, you may be able to piece together multiple rep watches to assemble something close. But if you are as neurotic as most here, it will take some finagling to get things to fit/look right.

Most jewelry stores will be happy to engrave a caseback for you. At least, I have never run into one that refused to take the work. However, I would avoid those that sell Rolex for the obvious reasons.

I assume this is your goal, albeit in modern form:

Image41.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/26/2021 at 6:56 PM, freddy333 said:

Things may have changed since the last time I spent time going through the dealers' listings, but Silix used to have a 6538 rep that had a case similar to what you might need for an A6538 & it was reasonably priced. So you might start there for the case.

Generally, I have found that, when attempting to recreate rarer models (i.e., the A6538), you should factor in the likelihood of some Dremeling or shaping modifications in your plans. In some cases, you may be able to piece together multiple rep watches to assemble something close. But if you are as neurotic as most here, it will take some finagling to get things to fit/look right.

Most jewelry stores will be happy to engrave a caseback for you. At least, I have never run into one that refused to take the work. However, I would avoid those that sell Rolex for the obvious reasons.

I assume this is your goal, albeit in modern form:

Image41.jpg

Hi Freddy333,

Many thanks for the info. You are exactly right, the A/6538 you've pictured is exactly what I'm looking to replicate.   I've heard of Silix cases before but have never been able to find out where they are listed.  I'm also on the hunt for a decent Brevet crown replica. I've bought a few over the years ranging from poor to almost acceptable. The snag always seems to be that there is no angle at the winding stem end as on the originals.  I read a post on RWI about putting the crown in a Dremmel and using a file to get the angle, but I'd probably mess that up.  Looking for a crown that already looks correct.  many thanks again.