When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

16610 New batch reviews

cib0rgman

Bought one a few weeks ago. Have since fitted a vr3135(personal choice) and a gen crystal.
Overall it’s a good watch. The stock dw is crap but overall pretty good

Jf is not out of stock, it’s now no longer made so don’t wait for that to restock.
bd02a685678ffa7d8c5de2a0d1e374cf.jpg
19a5179821fc49eeee93358b80f0c0ac.jpg
da5f68c01e1d1bcb3a6afdb5faffde86.jpg
fce21f09700fcf969cbfbfb8a3a8f1c7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The first watch that got me into replicas before I sold off my genuine was the 16610.   I have owned just about everyone of them from various sellers except the MB’W.   I just had too many and needed to keep just the one that gave me the same buzz as my genuine!  I then narrowed them down to just two of them which were the noobmariner F521107 with trimmed c/w ‘s and the yuki2836-2  version which I built myself.  I then felt comfortable selling off the ones that were sitting in my shelf including the genuine that were just  hoarding up a LOT of dead money which was better spent for my family,s priorities!  As I prefer to work on my own watches, the tipping trigger that got me to sell off the genuine was purely based on the parts issue and that I was offered almost double of what I paid for it in 1999,!  Regrets I have had a few but not that many when considering that I get just as much pleasure with what I have!

The 16610 in my opinion is one of the nicest subs of the modern era ever made and it is sad that even the reps are hard to get, especially the yuki version and Aspires versions!  The new tuna can case just doesn’t do anything for me,  sorry !! 😁

• Like 1

New Batches vs Old Batches...

"The 16610 is the best watch Rolex has ever made."

It is no doubt a modern classic.  The 5512/13 and 16610 models define rolex submariners imho.  

'I then narrowed them down to just two of them which were the noobmariner F521107...'   (F520117)

The F520117 'noobmariner' is a famous replica and a classic in the wacky world of replicas...if there is any such thing as a 'classic replica'.  I have a few F520117 and they are the only replica models that I have not sold or traded away, I still have every one.  The reflector aka 'rehaut' is a bit shallow but overall they have 'the look' and stood out in a field of 'also ran' models when they arrived on the scene.  They can still hold their own today but most have disappeared into dresser drawers or have been modified into something else.  They make a good 16800 with the right dial/bracelet combo but the lugs have to be drilled.

All my F520117 have swiss ETAs except one with an 'Asian 21' (probably considered to be the 'original' original).

There were some other popular 'fake noobmariner' models during the same time and one has case number D320840 but the reflector (rehaut) is a bit 'wokky' and the date is 10mm offset in some instead of 9mm like genuine and the F520117.  The D320840 case also turned up with other serial numbers and was sold for a few years.  I turned the reflector down on a few and they looked better but the dial needs to be like new or the outer edge can show scuffs where the reflector was cut back and slightly squared off.

Another one is case number F125967 and it is almost identical to the F520117 with shallow reflector etc. but I do not know what type of crystal it has or bezel retention method it used.  I have a 16610LV with this serial number and it was sold to me as an original 'noobmariner' but had the wrong serial number.  It looks very good though and has a hollow mid link SEL bracelet with bushings on the screws in the removable links. 

Fwiw it is 12.4mm thick, some replicas back then were quite a bit thicker.

The F520117 has a stepped sapphire crystal similar to genuine but it is out of spec and held in the case by being pressed into a plastic gasket.  The bezel is mounted by a spring wire and not pressed on the outer bezel.  To remove the rotating bezel you need to remove the movement, press the crystal out, remove the insert, and use a very thin blade to push the spring wire out of the groove in the case so the bezel can be removed.  If you just pry on the rotating bezel using a blade between the case and bezel it will usually bend the bezel.  If it does pop off, it may not turn easily when remounted.

I included the info above so if anyone gets one and needs to r/r the insert etc.

Btw...F520117 crystals are nearly impossible to find today.

Another 'classic replica' (imho of course) were the GMT master II models made in the early 2000s with swiss ETA 2836 and Asian 24 hour modification.  They had the wrong 'hand stack' and the 24H hand was not adjustable but they were trouble free , looked good, and would run for years.  You hardly ever see one today.

Maybe they are in 'classic replica watch' museums.  Ha!

11 hours ago, automatico said:

The 5512/13 and 16610 models define rolex submariners imho.

Totally agree !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is my  F52011 ,   It has the crown guards reshaped and a genuine crown.  I had a nato strap but felt more comfortable with the strap I have now.  

Noob.jfif

When I had it pressure tested, it passed the 200 meter line.  I don't blame Timelord for selling off his genuine if he has exactly the same to enjoy!!!  Good family man, thinking of his family first  :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Even worse is the new 116610 with the fat case which to me represents nothing more than a cheap Invicta or a Parnis.  Maybe they are made in the same factory as the replicas as they even have them in 904L.  

I guess that these 16610 versions are now out of production.  I do agree that Yuki also had a good case kit as well.  When I last checked, they were discontinued. 

I could never work out how the case ring worked??

Collectors items in my opinion

Noob.jfif

Edited by horologist
photo would not upload

"Even worse is the new 116610 with the fat case which to me represents nothing more than a cheap Invicta or a Parnis."

Yep, the thicker lugs make the bracelet look too narrow for the case. 

I guess they are Ok but the older models have... 

Image result for the word 'style' in stylish font                  

...and are as COOL as Steve McQueen wearing Persol 714 sunglasses and a 5512.

Image result for steve mcqueen wearing persol 714 sunglasses

• Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 6:07 AM, automatico said:

I guess they are Ok but the older models have... 

Image result for the word 'style' in stylish font                  

...and are as COOL as Steve McQueen wearing Persol 714 sunglasses and a 5512.

Image result for steve mcqueen wearing persol 714 sunglasses

well I am glad there are those that speak my language!  I could not have put it better myself!  
the 116610 is ok????,

well I will keep my opinion t myself!  
then I could be wrong, because we are living in a better world,

mass unemoloyment,

COVID pandemic,

insecurity,

but wait there is more!! 
rolex cutting off parts to independents,

the new age of disposable cars, not sure if there will be a future mustang from a future Steve McQueen for later generations to see.

supermodels tattooed from head to tow,

The attractive brazilian wax

and Wait even better!

children knowing how to count in their Headwithout their iPhones

glad I am the Timelord as I might  run to my tardis or should I stay!

We can only hope...

"Children knowing how to count in their Head without their iPhones."

Our present future...

PHD's who can not make change for a dollar (while their diplomas are hanging on a Starbucks wall where they work).

Most recent college graduates can not tell time on an analog watch because it has hands on it.

Probably 950 out of 1000 twenty something car owners can not change a car tire but can call AAA in half a second on their I-phone and wait 2 hours for help.

Newlyweds can not believe it will cost $1200+ a month (plus deposit/utilities etc.) to rent a house after living free for 22 years.

No watch parts 4U.  Never!

Etc. Etc.

Oh yeah, one of my favorites...Toaster-Cars:

Toaster-car owners bragging about the electricity that charges their toaster-car batteries comes from 'renewable energy sources' and then get mad when someone calls their car a 'coal burner'. 

Truth hurts...'electric energy' is mostly atomic, nat-gas, or coal fired, not 'renewable'.  

T-C owners act superior and brag about how much they save on gasoline...until they have to buy their first $2000 toaster-car battery or power inverter.  I have seen a couple Prius toasters hauled straight to the junk yard after a repair estimate for batts and/or inverters.  Another guy had his toaster-car towed out in a field at his farm...he wanted to be reminded not to buy another one. 

You can buy a lot of gas for $4 or 5k. 

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-toyota-inverters-recall-20190702-story.html

Looking back, a Prius might qualify as a semi-toaster because it also has a little gasoline lawnmower engine. 

Tesla, Leaf, Volt, golf carts, electric skateboards etc. are 100% Toasters.

Electric Skatebroad!

26.5 Inch Electric Skateboard 200W Motor 2000Mah Battery 10Km Full Charged For Teens And Adults, Great Gift For Best Friends, Black

Zap!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, automatico said:

Our present future...

PHD's who can not make change for a dollar (while their diplomas are hanging on a Starbucks wall where they work).

Ditto !!! 

Well, at least you still have an education system, but we lost ours a long time ago!!!.  When we had schools and universities (colleges etc) we actually were learning something!!  Nowadays, it has become big, big  business with the introduction of so many junk courses which only serve to provide $$$$$ for those running the show.  Even in the trade industries, you have to inherit an opportunity to learn and qualify  to fix a car or wire a house as most apprentices through a proper trade qualifying system are only passed onto family or very close connections as no trade school in my country will enroll you unless you have a signed indenture-ship with a qualified tradesman.

Look at it on the bright side, as our present future PHD will now give you the intellect and skills to distinguish between the letters;

P (pigs), 

H(horses) and

D(dogs)!  Now that truly is progress,😃

10 hours ago, automatico said:

Oh yeah, one of my favorites...Toaster-Cars:

Toaster-car owners bragging about the electricity that charges their toaster-car batteries comes from 'renewable energy sources' and then get mad when someone calls their car a 'coal burner'. 

Truth hurts...'electric energy' is mostly atomic, nat-gas, or coal fired, not 'renewable'.  

Luckily someone with a recently awarded PHD has come up with this wonderful ingenious idea (maybe a candidate for the Nobel prize in Science ) that you can now toast bread in your car using their renewable s .  I just leave my old VW in the hot scorching sun with bread in it at a fraction of the cost (actually costs nothing as it comes directly from the sun burning through the window)

On 10/16/2020 at 2:07 AM, automatico said:

New Batches vs Old Batches...

I included the info above so if anyone gets one and needs to r/r the insert etc.

Btw...F520117 crystals are nearly impossible to find today.

I found this out a long time ago, as I had one F520117 fall on the bathroom floor and broke the crystal!!!!.  They were hard to get even back when they first came out!!!  To save this one,I had to glue in a perspex crystal which was not the best option, but was the only one I had, so at least I was able to wear the watch.  Would never wear it near water or when it rained as it was just to keep the dust and sleeves off the hands.  Dials are also difficult to find in that size.  If i recall correctly, I believe they were about 28.4 mm.