• Current Donation Goals

Molykote dx verses White lithium grease?

when I was moving homes, I somehow lost my tube of molykote dx and thought of replacing it from my supplier!  My supplier no longer keeps it since the COVID crisis Iss7es with shipments and buying abroad from eBay is almost as costly as the product itself!  He mentioned to me that it is white lithium grease in mineral oil, which I then saw some truth in the data sheet. Any opinions on using white lithium grease as a substitute for molykote dx as I was using it already as a substitute for the blue grease? Thanks!

Molykote DX =  "white lithium grease in mineral oil."

For watches you need a medium duty lubricant (grease type) that does not:

Evaporate.

Separate.

Travel.

Since Molykote DX is a mix of lithium grease and mineral oil, could it have a tendency to evaporate, separate, or evaporate?  I do not know.  I have used regular white lithium grease on threads etc. but not in contact with rubber gaskets (if I can help it), or where it could travel inside a watch.  I used to put it on case back gaskets but stopped after reading that it might damage some types of rubber gaskets.  I changed over to Silicon 7 and later to Krytox GPL 205 but K205 goes for around $30 for a 57 gram tube...probably enough for 20 years. 

Krytox is a lot like Fomblin grease, aka 'Famous Fomblin'.  (Famous only because RWC uses it)  All good stuff no doubt but it is basically vacuum pump grea$e.

Silicon grease (Silicon 7 etc.) also works fine on gaskets but it is not good for lubrication.

https://www.esslinger.com/watchmakers-silicon-7-grease-watch-gasket-sealer/

For setting parts, MS arbors in plates (without a jewel or bushing) etc. I use the Old Reliable...KT22.

https://www.esslinger.com/kt22-microlubricant-watch-grease-and-moisture-sealer/

There are also higher $$ synthetic types of 'micro' grease available.

Molykote DX info from the DuPont website:

Description:

MOLYKOTE® DX Paste is a grease-paste that reduces friction in low-speed, high-load applications by delivering a combination of white solid lubricants with a mineral oil carrier fluid to the required point of lubrication.

Features & benefits:

Particularly high load-carrying capacity.

Good water resistance and water washout resistance.

Prevents stick-slip and seizure.

Good corrosion protection.

Excellent protection against galling.

Cleanness.

Composition:

Mineral oil.

Lithium soap.

Solid lubricants.

Corrosion inhibitor.

Applications:

Sliding surfaces and friction contacts exposed to heavy loads, requiring “clean” lubrication, especially at low to medium speeds.

Could be used on many friction contacts of electrical and domestic appliances, packaging and office machinery, and precision instruments, as well as in textile and plastics processing machinery.

Shop around because lithium grease prices can vary quite a bit for the exact same item.

Lucas White Lithium Grease Squeeze Tube, 8Oz | 105338oz for $4.17 + $8 shp to $26.68 shipped Free! on the bay.

Looks like the purchaser might need the grease a few minutes before paying the shipping charge on the first one or buying the second one with 'Free' shipping.   :prop:

13 hours ago, automatico said:

Molykote DX =  "white lithium grease in mineral oil."

For watches you need a medium duty lubricant (grease type) that does not:

Evaporate.

Separate.

Travel.

Since Molykote DX is a mix of lithium grease and mineral oil, could it have a tendency to evaporate, separate, or evaporate?  I do not know.  I have used regular white lithium grease on threads etc. but not in contact with rubber gaskets 

thanks for your input!  Thought my post had become forgotten!  

I was looking at molykote dx more for greasing watch parts  as the eta oiling manual mentions it in their oiling charts.  I recall from an earlier post on this forum that it was also recommended by another member that has more experience than me in watch repairs, that it was a good substitute for the very expensive blue moebius grease (9104? If I recall correctly?) used for stems and on some of keyless works parts!  Ridiculously expensive!   

However the molykote was also not cheap either and all it is is a mixture of lithium grease and mineral oil! Just as you stated!  As my supplier can no longer get it, he advised me - Not to fall for marketing scams!  He said that traxx grease or any other generic lithium white grease should do the same, just go for the cheapest!  Glad to hear that  others also sense the same! I find eBay has good bargains but when you look at some of the shipping price, it was almost 4 times the price of the product, so it pays to shop around!

As for lubricating gaskets, I have had negative experience with fomblin being the same Lithium grease, which destroyed the gasket of my genuine Rolex as my watchmaker used it when I was new to watch repairs!  I first heard of it from him as back in that day, he was a Rolex authorised repairer!  I prefer silicon as it is inert and is the basis for non reactive items such as Teflon and other corrosive inhibitor products!  What a science this forum is in addition to the watch world!