When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Epilame- what was before this ?

Timelord

I am no expert in watchmaking and have learnt most of what I know here on this forum!  I was even able to service my first manual watch Fhf from what I learnt from you!  Thank you!

i began to use a product called epilame ( like episerf ) as mentioned here on several occasions to inhibit the smearing of oil on pallet stones!  My question  is what existed before epilame was used on pallet stones before applying the 9415.?  Can we get away without it If we were just to apply the oil?   Anyone done this and have you seen any significant  disadvantages from doing  this!?

thanks again 

• Thanks 1

I do not use it because I am too cheap to spend the $$ and can c/o a watch if the oil crawls away and the thing seizes up or catches on fire.  Ha!  If I was doing retail trade work (and getting paid!) I would probably use it to lessen the chance of comebacks.  After 40 years working on this jonque mecanique, 'oil crawl' has not been much of a problem.  I am extra careful cleaning and oiling balance cap/hole jewels and use 9415 on pallet stones and so far, so good.  Before 9415 I used 941, 9010/20 etc. 

Watches did OK for 150+ years without it so maybe I can get by.

Btw...I c/o (with new balance staff/MS/set bridge etc) an old no hack, high mileage/drowned/mistreated/blistered rlx 1575 and used 9010/20/9415 etc without epilame and it has been running over 24 hours with no flames, smoke, or heat.  Ha!  once more.   :good:

Blistered = damage to plating from cleaning solutions...or epilame.  Ha!  (details in the omega forums link below)

Epilame, Fix-O-Drop etc:

One main problem...it is expen$ive. 

Imho it probably costs $15 or $20 a gallon to make.  I do not know of course, but I do know how swatch/moebius prices their stuff.

It might be like 'One Dip'.  'One Dip' is nothing more than 'tetrachlororoethylene' that was $1.49 for an 18oz can of 'Pronto' brake cleaner for years...until it became a 'hazardous substance' and then 'One Dip' went from $8 a pint to $35 or more plus hazmat shipping surcharges.  It is the exact same thing dry cleaners have used for years...tetrachlororoethylene aka dry-cleaning fluid/PERC.

(Imho) everything to do with watches is a Scam! of some sort...except Invicta of course.   :pimp:   

Disclaimer:  I own a couple Invictas and like them...one 'hand cranker' from the 1950s and one with a VAL/ETA 7750.

http://www.julesborel.com/products/tools-lubricating-fix-o-drop

Another problem...it can cause corrosion.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/basic-watchmaking-tips-oiling-part-4-the-escapement.87072/

http://watchmakingblog.com/2011/07/29/one-hazard-of-epilame/

https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/lubricant-fix-o-drop.301/

• Thanks 1

This is a great thread!  I had been looking for the pros and cons on this subject for months!  Somehow I cannot always post or respond  on this site ( mystery to me 😲) . Automatico you have done it all with a couple of links!  Thanks a million,  it  has opened up an Aladdins cave of posts for me!  Thanks also to Timelord for bringing up the subject!  

I have never used epilame on the pallets and so far my very first movement I serviced runs like a charm!  I too have learnt a lot, mainly thanks to the existence of this forum as one can post and not be afraid of the responses you get!  Archer’s contributions  are also a Godsend to the omega forum, but no way you can post on that forum like we can post and ask here, as he can destroy your total confidence In ever wanting to post again! 

thanks again guys,!!