When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

3035 and 3135 movement differences?

HaydenM

Hi all,

I've been looking into a Rolex Day-Date build for some time and while a basic raffles build is tiding me over for the moment I'm looking into other options. As part of my search I have come across what appears to be likely third party conversion parts to turn a 3035 movement into a 3055. Unfortunately a 3035 isn't the easiest thing to get my hands on so I was considering possible other options but they may be outside my current knowledge. I know that there is currently a 3135 rep movement which seems to be relatively reliable. So I'm just checking, does anybody know if there would be any differences between the 3035 and 3135 movements which would get in the way of a 3135 to 3155 conversion?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by HaydenM

1 hour ago, kidcreole said:

3035 is a thicker movement with a different offset between stem and dial. If you put a 3135 in a 3035 case you’d need a dial spacer and a longer pinion for hands. I’m also after a 3035 for a 16800 build. Not easy to find at a decent price.

I know that they're a different thickness but essentially what I'm wondering is if the parts that would convert a 3035 to a 3055 would also convert a 3135 to a 3155. From my research I wouldn't foresee the movement thickness affecting that, it would affect the case options but that's an issue for down the road.

"I'm wondering is if the parts that would convert a 3035 to a 3055 would also convert a 3135 to a 3155."

In one word...No.  Different base movements.

Used to be back when the 3035 was King there were conversion kits to make DD out of them but back then OEM parts were also available.  Many 3035 were scarfed from SS cases to be used in faux 18k DD cases and were converted to DD using aftmkt parts, genuine parts, or a combo of each.  A friend had two of them and I must say the cases were near perfecto.

The kits are still available but if you want one (or two), you better move fast, they will not last long:

eBay item number:  203090420655

As for converting a 3135 to DD it would be an uphill run because of the rolex "No Parts For You" policy.  I have not seen DD conversion kits for sale but they are probably out there somewhere.  High gold prices have probably killed the faux 18k cases for now.

Older slow set 15xx DD movements turn up now and then and I snagged a 1556 for $600 and probably could have got it for less if I had not offered $600 off the bat.  I have an 18k Italy made aftmkt Prez case but it takes a custom 30mm dial and I can not find one.  OEM crystals and bezels fit fine.  It is heavy made (not hogged out inside) and  iirc it weighs 39 grams.  For comparison, I recently scrapped a vintage 'Banner' 32mm 14k screw back case and it weighed 10.5 grams.  Most 34 to 36mm rolex cases go around 30 grams iirc, maybe a little more.  They are hogged out around the inside edges and into the lugs to save every gram of gold.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, automatico said:

"I'm wondering is if the parts that would convert a 3035 to a 3055 would also convert a 3135 to a 3155."

In one word...No.  Different base movements.

Used to be back when the 3035 was King there were conversion kits to make DD out of them but back then OEM parts were also available.  Many 3035 were scarfed from SS cases to be used in faux 18k DD cases and were converted to DD using aftmkt parts, genuine parts, or a combo of each.  A friend had two of them and I must say the cases were near perfecto.

The kits are still available but if you want one (or two), you better move fast, they will not last long:

eBay item number:  203090420655

As for converting a 3135 to DD it would be an uphill run because of the rolex "No Parts For You" policy.  I have not seen DD conversion kits for sale but they are probably out there somewhere.  High gold prices have probably killed the faux 18k cases for now.

Older slow set 15xx DD movements turn up now and then and I snagged a 1556 for $600 and probably could have got it for less if I had not offered $600 off the bat.  I have an 18k Italy made aftmkt Prez case but it takes a custom 30mm dial and I can not find one.  OEM crystals and bezels fit fine.  It is heavy made (not hogged out inside) and  iirc it weighs 39 grams.  For comparison, I recently scrapped a vintage 'Banner' 32mm 14k screw back case and it weighed 10.5 grams.  Most 34 to 36mm rolex cases go around 30 grams iirc, maybe a little more.  They are hogged out around the inside edges and into the lugs to save every gram of gold.

Thanks for that, the kits seem not to be moving too quickly but I wanted to check. Wasn't sure whether or not the dial side mechanics were the same between the 3035 and 3135 so as to allow for that kit to be used. 

I wasn't too fussed regarding the case, just wanted to know if the movement was possible. It's a shame but I'll have to figure something out or save for an 1803 😛