When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Broken novodiac spring,but still running??

Timelord

Greetings guys,

picked up an old running rado with an 2824-2 From a local pawnbroker last Friday because the price seemed ok, as I thought of using for it for parts!

Upon inspection When I removed the dial, I noticed that the 3 pointed novodiac spring holding the end stone had one of the corners broken (missing) but was mysteriously still holding the Jewel in place!  Not sure if it broke from a fall or installation from when it was last serviced!  😲  My question now is has anyone ever seen something like this and  will it cause a problem if not replaced ?  It seems to hold but any thoughts please throw the over!  

The other problem is where does one buy the from as they seem to be (hence no parts for you strategy may haunt!,)  Can they be purchased generically and will they substitute .?  Am clutching my straws!  Thanks for your inout!

15 hours ago, automatico said:

"The other problem is where does one buy..."  (novodiac spring) 

Here is one place: 

http://www.ofrei.com/page1438.html

Other supply outfits should have them too. 

thanks!  I had seen ofrei, but they have a minimum order of USD18 and a minimum international order shipping cost of USD9.77 .  They also come in 1.5 and 1.7 mm in size!  I Am not sure what the right size is as the balance side on my movement surprisingly has a different setup like the incabloc gate style,!  I don’t want to remove the broken spring to measure it as I could cause further damage and still not know  size! 

I may be pushing it, but if I can find the right size Info, it will help a lot as other sources I found sell by size,

thanks!  

On 11/15/2020 at 8:04 PM, Timelord said:

thanks!  I had seen ofrei, but they have a minimum order of USD18 and a minimum international order shipping cost of USD9.77 .  They also come in 1.5 and 1.7 mm in size!  I Am not sure what the right size is as the balance side on my movement surprisingly has a different setup like the incabloc gate style,!  I don’t want to remove the broken spring to measure it as I could cause further damage and still not know  size! 

I may be pushing it, but if I can find the right size Info, it will help a lot as other sources I found sell by size,

thanks!  

I have two springs of different sizes  that I can send you to try out and see which one fits!  These little beasts are a kick in the groin to remove, replace  and to buy from anywhere!  I even checked on eBay and no go!!!  Forget ofrei unless you want to order 100 of them to make it economically viable!  I got rid of any eta with ( novodiac springs a long time ago and any remaining ones I  have are with the double cone incabloc with the gate  which are incomparable to these horrible things that can cost you the service time of  another movement!  Also be easy with them as they can easily break!  I made a tool from a plastic chup a chup lollipop stick which works better than the Bergeron tool which in my opinion is a scam!!

FYI you would not want to go anywhere near the old seiko that had these before my time and those horrible micro horse shoe Springs that made every seiko movement a disposable as it was cheaper to buy a new movement!   My old watchmaker Robbie never serviced them as he wood buy the modules in bulk keeping  them in his big cigarette cartons and just replace them for the client and the client t(ought he serviced them!  It was cheaper for both customer and him!