When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rlx 1016 vs 55xx hands...

automatico

"So, I'm interested to hear some more feedback on those 1016 hands (and as always, learn a little bit more about vintage Rolex minutiae). From earlier research, I found that 1016 service hands (like the ones on this watch) are slightly shorter than original hands. Also found examples of original 1016 hands that are flat and don't quite brush the edge of the minutes track."

I have some nos trit 1016 hands and remember they are a hair longer than 5512/13 hands and came with a 'short tube' second hand (no date works to rise above).  Also have some nos 5512/13 hands and they are a little bit shorter than 1016 hands but in reality it does not really matter very much, to me anyway.  Can not remember if they are flat on top or slightly curved.

Many 1016  examples probably have 55xx hands on them by now anyway.  On my 1016 project watches with ETAs I just use 55xx hands from ST etc.  My '1016' with ETA 2824/2846 combo movement has hands that pass through the 3-6-9 numbers and just barely touch the inner ends of the minute markers.  The dial is aftmkt oem spec (diameter, font etc) that is very similar to earlier 1016 dials.

I just now looked for the 1016 hands but gave up after a short while, I do not want to start digging through it right now.  I'll bookmark this thread and post about the hands if they turn up later.  I did find two (2) nos sets of trit 1655 hands (24H, H, M, SS) that were forgotten so it was worth the effort.  I have quite a bit of this stuff put away here and there and it is a hassle to dig through it without damaging or losing anything so it is basically forgotten until a part is needed.  I never thought it would ever be worth much back when I bought it and since I hardly ever work on a genuine rlx now, all the parts that have been stored for years have sort of faded into the past...along with me.  Ha!

Update 1-8-21

I checked through some hands and the nos hands for 55xx watches are in glassine envelopes sealed inside the original plastic bags so I can not tell if they are flat or curved.  I did not want to mash around on them and take the chance of cracking the lume.  Did not find any 1016 hands this time around. 

I looked at a couple sets of older tritium take-offs from 15xx calibre submariners and the hands are flat, no curve at all but it is unknown what year models they came from.  Also looked at a set of used tritium 1675 GMT hands and the H and M hands are flat...no hack, made 1968.  I paid $325 for it in 1997 from a pawn shop.