When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Raffles 2836 case caseback

MatBat

Hello,

I'm doing a fun franken project, it is based on a 1601 Rolex GEN dial. I've already done a franken 16014 Datejust with the Raffles 2836 case.
I checked by build and notice that the caseback has a lot of clearance to the movement rotor. Since the Datejust 1601 is really thin I'd like to change the caseback or modify it to be more flat.

Have you ever done something like this?

Thank you

I needed a thinner case back on a DJ type case and used one from an old replica DJ from 12 or 15 years ago.  It was 4.4mm thick overall measured from back side flat machined center to the front edge.  Many of the 16200 replica case backs are a little bit thicker than that, I measured one and it was 4.75mm, not much but the outer contour makes it look thicker.  It was .9mm thick in the flat center of the back so it could be thinned down a little. 

'Front edge' = the outer edge of the case back that faces the front of the watch, not the gasket seat.

Some of the exact same case backs had 1680, 1655, 16200 stamped inside them.  Evidently there is no rhyme or reason to what was put on what back then.

FYI...

A genuine 1600 case back is 4.25mm thick overall and 2.65mm thick from gasket seat to the flat top.

A genuine 16000 case back is 4.45mm thick overall and 2.75mm thick from gasket seat to the flat top.

Genuine 16200 case back sizes next time I dig one out.

A JMB '1016' case back is 4.25mm thick overall and 2.75mm thick from gasket seat to the flat top.  

All measurements are plus/minus a hair or two depending on machining tolerances and wear/polishing.

So, for the raffles case there is no aftermarket possibilities?
I think I'll cut it and solder it again until reach the minimum possible. Since the 1601 caseback exists also rounded, I'll sand it down. In a real 1601 the case has a sort of stair that can accept the caseback. This doesn't exist in the raffles case.

"I'm doing a fun franken project, it is based on a 1601 Rolex GEN dial. I've already done a franken 16014 Datejust with the Raffles 2836 case."

The main problem when using the 'pie pan' 1600 dial is finding a thin 1600 type case.  Because the dial is raised around the edge it allows the movement to sit higher in the case and uses a thinner case than when using a flat dial.  This was a sign of the times (1950s/1960s) and the rlx 1600, some omegas (pie pan Constellations), and many other brands did this to make their watches appear to be thinner.  Thin Was In Back Then.

Case profiles from 'ogladio':

https://rwg.cc/topic/159773-1601-case/

http://i.imgur.com/QEQCRl.jpg

"So, for the raffles case there is no aftermarket possibilities?"

I only listed the sizes of a few cases that I have, no telling what else is available.  If the Raff case is made like a 16200 you might look into a thinner case because the 16200 cases have high 'shoulders' looking at them from the side where the 1600 cases are slim and streamlined. 

Example:

I tried a '1016' project using a 36mm tudor type case made for an ETA 2824 and ran into two problems:

1...The low profile case back rubbed the autowind rotor on a thicker, lower beat ETA 2846.

2...The dial window and seat were too big for a 27.9mm oem spec dial.  The dial window was 28.0mm and the dial fell through the front.

Two good things:

1...It had the right profile when viewed from the side.

2...It had properly centered lug holes that could be enlarged.

The project was abandoned and later came to life using a JMB case.