When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Do 5513 matte mk3 lollipop replacement dials exist?

RickFlorida

Does anyone know where I could get an aftermarket 5513 mk3 lollipop dial from for genuine movements?  The Vietnam sources are awesome but it's confusing to know if all 3 just get their stuff from the same sources?  I ask because the Vietnam source I currently use, does not seem to have mk3 lollipop dials even though the dials are a simple matte dial.  Does no one really make these perhaps?  You would think the explorer sub dial and the mk3 lollipop would be very popular aftermarket dials or does the Vietnam source like to not make these because they would get too much attention?  The explorer sub dial is supposed to be glossy and not matte so that is harder to make right I bet.  But wouldn't the mk3 lollipop dial be easy to make?

Edited by RickFlorida

Looks like the MK3 dial is late- this one on Chrono24 dates from 1981

Rolex 5513 Mark 3 MK3 MK III Lollipop Unpolished Maxi Dial... for $23,522 for sale from a Trusted Seller on Chrono24

Note that it has a 703 crown and tube, don't know if that's original or a service replacement.

There's another one from 1978 with a similarly outrageous price also.

I believe the Mk3 dials (lollipop) have a slightly enlarged dial plot to where it almost "kisses" the minute markers.   I guess I'm super OCD if I only notice it compared to most people.  But I really like them and the case I have being made now is going to match the late 70's.  I don't like the quality of Rubywatch dials.  From the photos, the overall quality of the dial are not high enough so now my idea is to get a different dial and simply have someone enlarge the plots by hand. I think that is the only difference anways. I think the hands are the same size and only the plots are slightly bigger.   The Lollipop version of Tudor Subs is a different animal altogether and does have different hands and different dials. But for the Rolex 5513, only the plots on the dial are different (just slightly larger).  Below is a lollipop Mk3 dial.  The plots just about touch the minute markers because the plot is slightly larger by being elongated.    I just need to find someone who can elongate the plots by hand if I get a regular dial I assume.

IMG_2807-1.jpg

On 3/2/2021 at 1:52 PM, Ronin said:

Interesting. Still not sure what the “lollipop” denotes?

They are called lollipop because with the round lot touching the minute hand, it's like a lollipop.  (But you have to turn your head for the correct orientation, get it?) I didn't get it either at first.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...