When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help with air king build

sonny708

Hi Guys.

I am new to this so excuse me if I ask something crazy..

So I want to build a Air-king newer model

my budget is under 1k ..

but I want to use some gen parts.

where do I start. Her would my money be better spent..

I did see Raffies Kits..but don’t  know 

any help would be  greatly appreciate it..

I wouldn’t waste money putting genuine parts into a Raffles kit, just enjoy it for what it is. With patience one can pick up Airking cases and dials on eBay, then use an ETa movement 

Going either way would be good, aiming for the middle ground probably not so much

"So I want to build a Air-king newer model, my budget is under 1k, but I want to use some gen parts."

Three main parts make a watch look genuine:

Case.

Dial/hands.

Bracelet.

All three (if genuine) cost a lot of $$ now.   

"With patience one can pick up Airking cases and dials on eBay, then use an ETA movement."

True.

Some 5500 AK cases are still affordable but many are badly corroded and from what I have seen, later 14000/14000M cases are expensive and one of the latest 40mm genuine cases could bust a $1000 budget just for a case.  For this reason you could save a lot of $$ going with a replica case.  That leaves quite a bit of $$ for the dial, movement, bracelet etc. 

For 40mm models...maybe go with a new replica AK.  Get one with a China etaclone and be on the lookout for a genuine swiss ETA movement at a reasonable price if you plan to keep the watch because etaclones usually quit running sooner or later.

One example:

About 15 years ago there were 36mm Air Kings being sold with new genuine ETA 2836 in them with sapphire crystals and good bracelets/dials.  They should have been 34mm but they used DJ/Exp 1 cases and very few noticed the difference in size.  The lugs were 20mm apart and that did not attract much attention either.  Problem is most of them are gone now and if you did find one in good condition it would probably be around $300 or so.  A nos example would probably be $500 or more but it would have all the better components. 

You can also convert a 36mm AK to a sapphire 114270 Exp 1 by changing the dial and hands.  Most of the 36mm AK replicas had blind lug holes and non flip lock bracelets so they would match the second batch of sapphire Exp 1...first batch had pierced lugs.

Another example:

I bought a like new 39mm Exp 1 with a non running etaclone, junked the movement and put a nos swiss ETA in in after cleaning/oiling  the mvt.  It turned out fine and runs like a champ.  If you count the cost of the Exp 1 and new movement plus the c/o cost, it comes out to around $500, half of your budget.  The same could be done with an AK.

Imho they make China etaclones to use while you search for a swiss ETA.   :pimp:

Rolex Air King Mens Stainless Steel Watch Oyster Bracelet Blue Arabic Dial 14000

I forgot to post this , so if i am looking at a newer AK 11690 From what i understand it shares the Milguass body..

where would i start for a case as it looks like this is my main obstacle to achieve this for well under my budget..

TIA....

On 2/17/2021 at 10:28 AM, automatico said:

"So I want to build a Air-king newer model, my budget is under 1k, but I want to use some gen parts."

Three main parts make a watch look genuine:

Case.

Dial/hands.

Bracelet.

All three (if genuine) cost a lot of $$ now.   

"With patience one can pick up Airking cases and dials on eBay, then use an ETA movement."

True.

Some 5500 AK cases are still affordable but many are badly corroded and from what I have seen, later 14000/14000M cases are expensive and one of the latest 40mm genuine cases could bust a $1000 budget just for a case.  For this reason you could save a lot of $$ going with a replica case.  That leaves quite a bit of $$ for the dial, movement, bracelet etc. 

For 40mm models...maybe go with a new replica AK.  Get one with a China etaclone and be on the lookout for a genuine swiss ETA movement at a reasonable price if you plan to keep the watch because etaclones usually quit running sooner or later.

One example:

About 15 years ago there were 36mm Air Kings being sold with new genuine ETA 2836 in them with sapphire crystals and good bracelets/dials.  They should have been 34mm but they used DJ/Exp 1 cases and very few noticed the difference in size.  The lugs were 20mm apart and that did not attract much attention either.  Problem is most of them are gone now and if you did find one in good condition it would probably be around $300 or so.  A nos example would probably be $500 or more but it would have all the better components. 

You can also convert a 36mm AK to a sapphire 114270 Exp 1 by changing the dial and hands.  Most of the 36mm AK replicas had blind lug holes and non flip lock bracelets so they would match the second batch of sapphire Exp 1...first batch had pierced lugs.

Another example:

I bought a like new 39mm Exp 1 with a non running etaclone, junked the movement and put a nos swiss ETA in in after cleaning/oiling  the mvt.  It turned out fine and runs like a champ.  If you count the cost of the Exp 1 and new movement plus the c/o cost, it comes out to around $500, half of your budget.  The same could be done with an AK.

Imho they make China etaclones to use while you search for a swiss ETA.   :pimp:

Rolex Air King Mens Stainless Steel Watch Oyster Bracelet Blue Arabic Dial 14000

I forgot to post this , so if i am looking at a newer AK 11690 From what i understand it shares the Milguass body..

where would i start for a case as it looks like this is my main obstacle to achieve this for well under my budget..

TIA....

P.S Whats the issues with Raffels Stuff?

i m planning to build an air king explorer 

and the plan as below 
gen completed 5500 air king usd 2000

mq gilt explorer dial with hands usd 700

then probably the result as below

D938DDFF-BAA3-436C-BE33-A8ADA01192CD.thumb.png.8adcf5086230d9008e1e698a0beec63b.png
U have put in my head your plan... Wow!! But, here the 5500 is > 2.5k € ://

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk