When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Case for 1570 chronometer movement - advice sought please

Silver Fox

Hi,

I'm new here so please be gentle.  I'm a 'soft' modder, that is I've been changing dials, handsets, crowns and movements for a few years now, but nothing more adventurous than that.   I have a 1570 chronometer movement that I'd like to house in a Franken sports model, either a 1016 or 5512.  Looking for recommendations for a good case set. many thanks in advance. 

"I have a 1570 chronometer movement that I'd like to house in a Franken sports model, either a 1016 or 5512."

Imho the main problem with a '1016' project is finding a good case.  I put 5 or 6 of them together starting in 1997.  The first one used a genuine 162xx case with lug holes and genuine dial with rlx cal 1570.  It was very easy because everything went together without any modification at all...movement, dial, hands etc all fit the case.  The only thing out of ordinary was to drill the holes in the lugs out to accept the larger OD spring bars and machine a bezel for a rlx 22 spec crystal.

This is still a good option except:

The cases cost a lot of $$ today.

The side profile of a 162xx case does not match the 1016.

Not many earlier model 162xx cases are for sale now with holes all the way through the lugs.

Many of the cases are 30+ years old now and suffer from wear and corrosion.  There is a lot of junk for sale with the case back gasket left in place to hide corrosion on the back but backs can be replaced.  The main case is where the corrosion really takes a toll.

The next one used the same movement, dial etc but the case was a 16000 type made for an acrylic crystal, it looked more like a 1016.  The 160xx cases are made for a cal 3035 and they are thicker than the 3135 used in 162xx cases so there is that to deal with...the stem will not be centered in the case tube.  A no date rlx 15xx will fit in a 16200 case with no stem centering problems.

Took them both apart and went to swiss ETA powered '1016' projects after that, the last one using a JMB case.  It turned out fine but I do not know if a rlx 15xx will work in one.

As for a 5512...it depends on what you decide to go with.  Higher grade replica cases for 55xx projects are easier to find than top line 1016 replica cases. 

I wrote some notes on my '5512' project here:

Building an MBW Sub + 'shortcut' rlx 1560/70 GMT conversions... - The Rolex Area - RWG

Still have it but now with an ETA 2879.  The one useful tip in the post is that MBK cases using a 15xx movement will need a 15xx date calendar spacer, center wheel, and canon pinion.  You might get by with a regular no date cw, cp etc but the hour hand may be too close to the dial.

My misadventure with a '1655' project is also posted in there, I never took it apart like I planned, matter of fact it is laying on my desk right now.  It is still going strong so I do not have the heart to take it apart.  Having the movement in the '1655' case is a good place to store it.

Good luck!

Some info:

Starting a 1016 - The Rolex Area - RWG

A couple good '1016' project threads... - Page 3 - The Rolex Area - RWG

Franken 1016 questions - The Rolex Area - RWG

Yuki Matte 1016 Dials - The Rolex Area - RWG

A 1016 dial along with some regret - The Rolex Area - RWG

JMB '1016' project update... - The Rolex Area - RWG      (tells about the ETA 2846/2824 combo movement in JMB case)

Four down, one to go... - The Rolex Area - RWG

Is it Live, or is it Memorex? - The Rolex Area - RWG

Rolex Explorer I Explorer 1016 Gen Beside Yuki Dial - Replica Watch Info (replica-watch.info)

• Like 1

Automatico, a really big thank you for posting all this valuable information.  I did have a look at genuine (not 1016) cases online and as you say the prices are astronomical.  i remember you could pick up a 5500 case for a few hundred only 10 years ago.  Ruby's do a 1016 case, but I'm not experienced enough to know how that compares with a genuine.  I might go down the 5512 root, as Ruby's do a very nice dial, but its knowing to get a decent case that doesn't cost the earth.  The movement is currently sitting comfortably in a 1002 BTW.  Thanks again for your help, you are a gentleman.