When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Got a nice 79090 Tudor sub from Andrew

alligoat

I recently picked up a Tudor sub from Andrew

TUD031B - Submariner SS/SS Black JKF Asia 2836 [TUD031B] - $238.00 : Trusty Time Watch, Your Trusty Watch Shop

This has turned out to be a nice watch. The case is 39mm and the tophat crystal harks back to the 1680 of years ago.

The 79090 came out in 1989 from what I can tell, it was followed by the 79190 in 1995 which had a sapphire crystal.

This watch has nice lume- it shines all thru the night. The yellow could be toned down a bit, maybe with a light brown wash of tea or coffee.

Typical rep stuff- drill the lugholes and trim the crown guards. Maybe install a 703 crown with a good aftermarket tube. 

The bezel insert has a nice all-acrylic pearl and the bezel construction is gen like- the same as the 5513/1680.

Bracelet is folded link with 380B ends and a 7836 marking and a flip lock clasp. If it was a 9315 marking it would be perfect. But there's no screws to remove links and the smallest size is 7-1/2" + which is ok for me. If you have small wrists, making the bracelet fit could be a challenge. 

Date font is a little thick, but the 2836-2 asian is doing fine. 

At $260, I'm happy with the deal. 

I had thought about doing a Yuki dial, but with the lume being so good, I may leave the dial and hands it came with in there. 

Wish I could post a pick or two but I'm having problems with imageshack these days- shit won't post on rwg.cc.

Nice to know. You mention Yuki, I saw a farewell that Yuki was shutting down operations/stepping away ??

Also, I have resized those bracelets using two hand remover levers to get in and pry open the folded link to remove and then used various pliers with electrical tape on them to reclose. 

Pics?

Looks good!

How close to a rolex case of the same period is the toot other than engraving?  Looks like it has the back gasket in the case back too.

"Also, I have resized those bracelets using two hand remover levers to get in and pry open the folded link to remove and then used various pliers with electrical tape on them to reclose."

I have wrestled with these bracelets for years, genuine and replica...good idea on the hand pullers!  The main problem I have is keeping the front side of the mid link from showing a slight bend line after removing or installing an adjoining link.

I have an old, old set of 10.5 inch USA made Craftsman 'Channellock' type slip jaw pliers with small half round cut-outs on the jaw tips that squeeze the links back together like new.  I've had the pliers for over 40 years and have never seen another set like it.  

"The main problem I have is keeping the front side of the mid link from showing a slight bend line after removing or installing an adjoining link."

Yes, this is very true, and I did this to a GEN C&I Folded Rivet 😞

However, the way I see it, this is supposed to be a 40+yr old watch, it should have a dent or two 😉

Also, the last one I did, I managed to ACE it.  The trick is sacrificing the link(s) you are removing by removing it with the most minimal unfolding and then essentially mangling the removed link(s).  Andrew sells replacement bracelets for $70 IIRC.  So, it is not the end of the world if you sell it to someone with a larger wrist once perma-sized...

11 hours ago, alligoat said:

I recently picked up a Tudor sub from Andrew

TUD031B - Submariner SS/SS Black JKF Asia 2836 [TUD031B] - $238.00 : Trusty Time Watch, Your Trusty Watch Shop

This has turned out to be a nice watch. The case is 39mm and the tophat crystal harks back to the 1680 of years ago.

The 79090 came out in 1989 from what I can tell, it was followed by the 79190 in 1995 which had a sapphire crystal.

This watch has nice lume- it shines all thru the night. The yellow could be toned down a bit, maybe with a light brown wash of tea or coffee.

Typical rep stuff- drill the lugholes and trim the crown guards. Maybe install a 703 crown with a good aftermarket tube. 

The bezel insert has a nice all-acrylic pearl and the bezel construction is gen like- the same as the 5513/1680.

Bracelet is folded link with 380B ends and a 7836 marking and a flip lock clasp. If it was a 9315 marking it would be perfect. But there's no screws to remove links and the smallest size is 7-1/2" + which is ok for me. If you have small wrists, making the bracelet fit could be a challenge. 

Date font is a little thick, but the 2836-2 asian is doing fine. 

At $260, I'm happy with the deal. 

I had thought about doing a Yuki dial, but with the lume being so good, I may leave the dial and hands it came with in there. 

Wish I could post a pick or two but I'm having problems with imageshack these days- shit won't post on rwg.cc.

You should be able to directly post images on the forum Ali

10 hours ago, alligoat said:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/922/iKihIr.jpg

That's the bit of code with  the photo in it, bottom right of the editing window is a box that says 'other media', open that and 'insert image from URL'.  Or just choose files from your device and upload.

iKihIr.jpg