• Current Donation Goals

Today's best 6542, the "Pussy Galore"

• curiousbunny changed the title to Today's best 6542, the "Pussy Galore"

Like you, I have been out of the game for some time, so I cannot definitely answer your question. However, have you educated yourself as to what makes a gen 6542? Can you tell the difference between a gen & an average rep copy? Do you know what to look for? How much does cost affect your decision making (are you more budget-conscious or more of a well-heeled neurotic-perfectionist)? Have you perused RWG's Watches section to see if any of the recommended dealers offer a rep that does not offend your senses too much (no rep or franken is perfect)?

Posting with an indication that you have done YOUR due diligence goes a long way to getting members to elicit useful replies.

2015 GMT6542 012+2__-2_tonemapped+1.jpg

• Like 1

ROLGMT186F -GMT Ref.6542 Vintage Red/Blue SS/SS Blk/Yw Asia 2836 [ROLGMT186F] - $278.00 : Trusty Time Watch, Your Trusty Watch Shop

ref.6542 Gilt Dial,Gmt-Master (vintagepowertime.com)

Here's the Trustytime budget rep and the TS watch with some aging.

I'm not aware of a BP 6542, but look around.

Like Freddy says, you need to figure out how far you want to go. BTW, as I recall, his is a pretty much all custom job. 

I would like correct handstack, DG movement. Ebay are now selling Superluminova Lume, maybe I could relume it.

I heard JoeyB and Freddy does great dials,  how much would it cost for one? I hate the vintaged dials, much prefer glit with new white lume. 

I want the best watch case, then modify in the future as better parts are available. How are Tiger-Concept case? The dials are bigger than current rep. www.tiger-concept.com/6542-watch.html (tiger-concept.com)

Edited by curiousbunny

The Tiger Concept watches aren't worth it- too many faults, big crown, big dial, probably no lugholes.

The cartel 1655 that Josh sells with the dg3804 can be made into a 6542 if you're up to shaving the cgs off the case and can find a correct bezel. I believe Joey B did a 6542 with the cartel 1655 case- maybe you could check with him.

Or you take Trusty's 6542 and swap in a DG3804, but you'd need a DWO, or maybe a 2846-2 with the GMT gear added.  

10 hours ago, alligoat said:

The Tiger Concept watches aren't worth it- too many faults, big crown, big dial, probably no lugholes.

The cartel 1655 that Josh sells with the dg3804 can be made into a 6542 if you're up to shaving the cgs off the case and can find a correct bezel. I believe Joey B did a 6542 with the cartel 1655 case- maybe you could check with him.

Or you take Trusty's 6542 and swap in a DG3804, but you'd need a DWO, or maybe a 2846-2 with the GMT gear added.  

That's great, trusty's 6542 would be my choice.

One final consideration. I like a Sapphire crystal and sapphire bezel instead of bakelite. I dislike how fragile bezel is.

Edited by curiousbunny
19 hours ago, alligoat said:

A DG3804 will usually have a proper DWO for Rolex 15xx dials.   I did a 1675 years ago with a Gen Case, Gen Dial, BUT with a DG3804.  I used the stock DG3804 movement without custom DWO without issue.  The DG3804 I used came out of a "Chronotac" GMT Homage watch.  At the time, the 3804's Ofrei was selling had a different DWO so YMMV. 

You also have the Hangzhou 6460 Automatic GMT Movement DATE at 3.00 ETA 2836-2 GMT Clone - option.  HR sells one with proper DWO - https://helenarou.com/hangzhou-6460-automatic-gmt-movement-date-at-300-eta-283646030028362.html

So that begs another question, is the date window position the same on a 6542 as the 1675.  Going off the fact they both use a Tropic 116, me thinks so.  🙂 

...and yet another question in building a 6542 out of a Cartel base, would the 'pan' genuine style 6542 dial be a mistake vs getting a flat dial-feet style dial say from a 1675?

1 hour ago, curiousbunny said:

Is Jtime and cartel case the same?

Yes

36 minutes ago, curiousbunny said:

I looked and its not the same. However, i cannot judge the lug length.  

Are cartel lugs actually longer, are my eyes playing tricks?

Genuine is 47.4mm - lug to lug

JTime is 48.4mm - lug to lug

Lug 'Hole' to Lug 'Hole', oddly is flipped

Genuine is 43.9 Hole to Hole

JTime is 42.8 Hole to Hole

You are not wrong.  This optical appearance you are seeing it clear.  JTime is 1mm longer and the bracelet is pulled in 1mm.  

Below is JTime with a Genuine C&I bracelet.  You can see the profile & length difference.  This is exaggerated by the C&I's end-links being stubbier.  It is still a pretty good watch and these lugs could be reshaped to fix the issue.

885187371_1(4).thumb.jpg.30673fb8c2ebfd6f7d624c378b21e738.jpg