When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5510 Bezel Insert

one80

This is more a question of what will be acceptable to you. First of all, google rolex 5510 and look at at the various inserts- a lot of them have the red triangle.

WSO990 has one of those

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BEZEL-INSERT-FOR-ROLEX-SUBMARINER-5508-5510-5512-5513-6538-65

It's not great but maybe it'll work for you.

WSO990 also has the insert with the acrylic pearl in a silver triangle

BEZEL INSERT FOR VINTAGE ROLEX SUBMARINER 5508 5510 5512 WATCH AUTOMATIC BLACK | eBay

I used that insert in my 5508 build and it's ok- the pearl was good, font so-so. 

Or go for Phong's insert- I'd get the one that's for the for the vintage subs at $95-  either the vintage or new look. It's not distressed so you can age it yourself or let it age naturally. 

• Like 1

Yes, but I doubt you'll ever find one. Gen inserts are absolutely out of sight and all you can hope to do is find a decent rep insert and maybe do a little aging to make it less noticeable.

Phong's two vintage inserts are ok and there is the 6538 inserts down the page which can also be used on a 5510.

There's a book "Vintage Rolex Sports Models" by Skeet and Urul which shows various 5510s- starting with a 6538 type insert shown on Phong's site and finally ending with the vintage type insert that Phong has which was used in the middle 60s. 

The thing about inserts is that they are a wear item and get replaced. And I promise you Rolex could care less about replacing the insert- they'll do it in a heart beat if it's worn out.

• Like 1

My friend built the most extravagant Big Crown Franken I’ve seen. He painstakingly researched every last detail and in the end decided he had to have a genuine red triangle hash insert. He found one, nearly NOS, authenticated, and paid over $4,500 for it.

If I’d done that I would never wear the watch. The inserts aren’t held in THAT well and it would be ruinous to look down at your wrist and see it missing.

Heck, when I replaced the gen T39 Superdome on my 1665 I almost stopped wearing it because I didn’t want to crack it on something, and that was a paltry $350 crystal.

YMMV

Thanks again for the replies.

I've found a couple on MQ's site that I'm happy with the font, just not so much on the artificial wear... Have emailed to see if he can supply a "as new" one, and do the wear myself.

Am I correct that the 6536/6538/5508/5510 are the only ones that share the same bezel size?

The more I head down the vintage big crown path, the more I wonder if a 5512/5513 wouldn't be a little easier...

Edited by one80

It would be orders of magnitude easier and far more believable on the wrist.

My buddy here is the watchmaker at the Rolex AD and he has never seen a Big Crown being worn. And he has worked on exactly one, that someone found at the bottom of the Russian river, many years after the band broke.

• 1 month later...

Yes, I've been talking to Crownartcustoms re. a red triangle insert.

I've also ordered a Mk3 to suit a 5513 build, which I've started on also (with a Rubys case and MQ dial) but there's something that draws me back to the BC's...

I have a perfect Tall5 redtriangle insert from Crownartcustoms. That is the most accurate one.

Wow, I’d like to see a pic of that. I have a gen MkII on the Big Gonzo and it’s crumbling like the metal substrate was rolled out wrong or something.

Wow, I’d like to see a pic of that. I have a gen MkII on the Big Gonzo and it’s crumbling like the metal substrate was rolled out wrong or something.

This one was just released by him:
9abe5f9d33cbe81f7a93030990f6c9df.png
5be8190c42ef8bd2f411da6b4c470c20.png
5f92d50ef865cfc6b2b683bce32eaadc.png
ff1a43ce2bd15bba593c05c289ac8eae.png

[imf]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210529/764fdebc9d1f2a88c1fef67dc77cc0e8.png[/img]

————

And below is 1/2 I have. The other one is more tropical/aged and going in a purple hue like the gen ones.

17afbc3b80c7f33edc873d83aebf1275.jpg

Magnificent.  I've been thinking about a replacement for what I have now on the 6204.

Then his latest is the way to go... contact him via instagram och via RWG

Red triangle Tall5 for 5510, 5508 and 5512 square/eagle beak cg around 59-60