When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What do you think about buying watches online at a discount?

CeliaMyers

Hi everybody,
I currently have 6 watches, of which 2 I bought online on the online store and got a discount, but now those 2 are no longer in normal use like when I bought it, completely unused . Out of warranty period but there are signs of damage. What do you think about buying cheap watches online?

"What do you think about buying cheap watches online?"

If 'cheap' means less than $50USD you are usually Ok buying them online if the price is less than you can buy the same watch for locally and the seller/dealer is an established outfit or has a good eBay etc rating.  The main chances you take buying online are defective products and loss in transit.  Many online discounters and private sellers have basically no customer service other than an exchange or maybe money back for a defective product in a short time period after purchase.  If the watch is lost in the mail the dealer might make it right.  I say might because they may tell you to file a claim at the post office, UPS/FEDEX etc.  I always figured it was the responsibility of the seller to make sure the product arrives but when dealing with online dealers you never really know where you stand until something goes wrong.  With eBay you have buyer protection when buying with a credit card or PayPal and eBay almost always sides with the buyer.  This is good for the buyer but it can be not so good for the seller if the buyer turns out to be a crook of some sort.

I have purchased quite a few 'cheapie' watches online and all but one arrived safely and PayPal put the $$ back in my account for that one. 

It goes without saying that dealers located outside your home country can be a real hassle to deal with when something goes wrong. 

When I bought my last cheapie online I hedged my bets by picking one that used a well known and easily obtainable Seiko movement.  The rest of the watch was built like a tank, so if it arrived broken, I just had to swap in a new $30 movement.

Luckily it arrived in perfect shape and it keeps better time than any of my genuine Rolex.  And it cost less than the last Rolex crystal I had to replace.

maranez.jpg

If you are looking for the best price on a good watch & it is cheaper online, then buy online. Simple.
But if you are looking for the cheapest watch online, then you get what you pay for.

Taking your premise to the next level, I believe there are 2 types of watch collectors--those who only buy their grail watches if/when they find them cheap & those who find the best price on the grail watches they buy. The former tend to spend their entire lives looking, the latter owning.

• Like 1

Always buy the seller before the watch, especially if you can’t view it in person. I’ve bought plenty of watches online. I always ask for extra photos and if the seller isn’t forthcoming I just walk away. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kernow said:

Always buy the seller before the watch, especially if you can’t view it in person. I’ve bought plenty of watches online. I always ask for extra photos and if the seller isn’t forthcoming I just walk away. 

Amen to this! on the side note, can I buy back my Omega SMP or its remains? LOL

Edited by jcagara08
begging

On 5/13/2021 at 10:49 AM, jcagara08 said:

Amen to this! on the side note, can I buy back my Omega SMP or its remains? LOL

If I sell any of my Seamasters you’ll be the first to know. 

• Like 1