When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Some Rolex 15xx movement parts info...

automatico

Latest info on the rolex 15xx movement parts situation:

The Unfortunate Truth about Vintage Rolex Repairs (professionalwatches.com)

Note the typo that appears right under the picture of the 1575 movement:

"If you are paying attention to the numbers, it should be painfully obvious that the demand for Rolex parts far exceeds the demand."

Should be:

"If you are paying attention to the numbers, it should be painfully obvious that the demand for Rolex parts far exceeds the supply."

It all boils down to:

"The supply of parts in the market will never be replenished."

• Like 1

I had an interesting email back-and-forth in the last couple months with a very well known vintage Rolex expert and I suggested many of the pieces that show up at GTGs wore aftermarket parts disguised to look distressed and old, precisely because of the lack of genuine parts.  I said IMO that is no reason to retire a watch.  We had to agree to disagree.  I think he's in for a rude awakening.

"I suggested many of the pieces that show up at GTGs wore aftermarket parts disguised to look distressed and old, precisely because of the lack of genuine parts."

" I think he's (vintage Rolex expert) in for a rude awakening.    

Right, right, you're bloody well right! 

It has been quite a while since my last NAWCC show but I saw plenty of vintage rolex watches that were probably not more than 70% genuine at the last few shows.  They had genuine movements but some bracelet parts, bezels, etc were suspect and some of the dials were also iffy, especially the ones that might have been 'professionally aged'...they would be very hard to near impossible (for me) to identify as genuine or aftmkt.  I know very little about how to identify a super good 'aged' replica dial compared to a ratty OEM dial and I guess many others would have trouble too. 

High grade replica cases are hard to spot if they are very close to genuine because you usually can not inspect the numbers/letters between the lugs and inside the case back or measure anything.

I am pretty good on movements, fair on cases/bracelets/clasps, but not very good on dials/hands.  I have seen a few 1655 and 1675 dials that were extra hard to tell if they were genuine or not, I just could not say one way or the other.

As for 15xx movements...many may have aftmkt train wheels, intermediate autowind wheels, rotor axles, mainsprings etc and in reality (and imho) it does not make one bit of difference in the performance of the movement.  When some 'expert' watch repair bird tells a customer that they 'suspect' there are aftmkt parts in their movement with no proof, the owner might need a new repair bird. 

If a repair guy is experienced in that particular movement and can not find any bogus parts...it is a good chance there are not any.  Rolex parts...either they is or they ain't genuine and if the squealer can not tell any difference...fergidaboudit.

The problem is everyone is suspicious now. 

Take three or four 100% genuine rolex vintage watches to a watch show and a half dozen 'internet watch experts' will  point out 3 or 4 (imagined) flaws on each watch to prove they are professional fake busters.  If I was tall enough, I would pat them on the head and say:  "You can go back to your momma now."

It's like the man said:  "If it will pass as genuine to experienced buyers 90% of the time...call it genuine."  

Right Your Bloody Well Right 1970

21 hours ago, Nanuq said:

I had an interesting email back-and-forth in the last couple months with a very well known vintage Rolex expert and I suggested many of the pieces that show up at GTGs wore aftermarket parts disguised to look distressed and old, precisely because of the lack of genuine parts.  I said IMO that is no reason to retire a watch.  We had to agree to disagree.  I think he's in for a rude awakening.

Amen! Just as Rolex purists have no tolerance for us, I have none for purists.  Name one other hobby involving mechanical components that does not have aftermarket parts available. The Vintage Auto scene is the closest parallel.  It's great if you have a 'trailer queen' just like a 'safe queen' more power to you.  However, reality is I doubt that 1969 Porsche has Original Tires, Brakes, etc. 

Franken's have started showing up at Red Bar and other GTG's.  I say bring it on!  Be honest and transparent about it, and you will probably make some new friends.  If you encounter someone who thinks you MUST buy a rusty $800 NOS Mainspring, or $500 'brittle' non-water resistant Tropic 29 vs a Clarke $20 NEW Mainspring or $12 replacement Tropic 29...agree to disagree. 

I think the Rolex craze and shortage is helping to bring more acceptance. At least in WIS circles I run in. 

"I think the Rolex craze and shortage is helping to bring more acceptance.  At least in WIS circles I run in." 

Agree.

I think they are slowly being forced to accept it.

Still have my WIS badge from Timezone com.   :thumbs:

Here is what they look like:

Image006.jpg

Pic from:

Are you a WIS? - greg_r's Lounge - for watch chat - RWG: Replica Watch Guide Forum

If I am wearing a replica and someone (rarely) asks about it, I say it is an MBK, David Wong Frankenstein, cartel watch etc, never a rolex of any sort.  If they ask what an MBK, DW or cartel watch is I will give them a condensed explanation.  Very few ask.

In my experience the vast majority of people who wear a high $$ watch know about as much about watches as a goose knows about nuclear fission. 

A WIS is another breed and they are rare birds. 

Ditto! I usually say something like "It's my own Restoration, a real Frankenstein <with a laugh>".  Also, "Swap-Job".  This will flush out people who have read the "The Rolex Report".  Or if it is a straight up Rep same as you: "MBW, Vaclume PAM Mod, Trusty VSF "Special" 😛