When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolojack back in the game

rolojack

"It looks like the forum isn't as active as before or is it me?  I see the post dates are quite far apart."

Yeah it's a ghost town compared to a few years ago.  Sometimes there will be a flurry of posts but the flurries seem to be getting farther apart.

Seems to me that mechanical watches in general are losing steam, not just replicas and the 'born digital' generation does not seem to care very much about mechanical watches.

Watches are a hobby with me and high prices and no parts is a definite hobby killer.  I used to buy/sell/trade mostly 1530 base rolex watches but they are no longer affordable (to me) so they are of little interest now.  I'll wear one now and then to road test it but that's about it.

I am back to where I started...wearing an Accutron.

Make that an Accutron II.   :prop:

5 hours ago, automatico said:

"It looks like the forum isn't as active as before or is it me?  I see the post dates are quite far apart."

Yeah it's a ghost town compared to a few years ago.  Sometimes there will be a flurry of posts but the flurries seem to be getting farther apart.

Seems to me that mechanical watches in general are losing steam, not just replicas and the 'born digital' generation does not seem to care very much about mechanical watches.

Watches are a hobby with me and high prices and no parts is a definite hobby killer.  I used to buy/sell/trade mostly 1530 base rolex watches but they are no longer affordable (to me) so they are of little interest now.  I'll wear one now and then to road test it but that's about it.

I am back to where I started...wearing an Accutron.

Make that an Accutron II.   :prop:

It seems the world is really going sideways.... New generation really have no taste. Best example of it to my eye is electric cars. What a sad soulless thing... Music too : it's the mirror of society and look how empty it is. No creation. Very sad. Where are we going? About our hobby : yes parts are the issue. I mean parts prices. I'm amazed how much money is involved to gather good parts now. But hey : still when you compare to what is asked for a new Tissot of some sort you can still build a decent watch within the affordable range. Let's say yesterday we were around the 1K glass roof for someting great. Now it's double. But so is it for everything around us! Besides clothing everything increased dramatically. Let's stay positive and fight against the current with our vintage rlx watches. Our resistance !!!!

On 6/12/2021 at 2:07 AM, rolojack said:

yes parts are the issue. I mean parts prices. I'm amazed how much money is involved to gather good parts now. But hey : still when you compare to what is asked for a new Tissot of some sort you can still build a decent watch within the affordable range. Let's say yesterday we were around the 1K glass roof for someting great. Now it's double. But so is it for everything around us! Besides clothing everything increased dramatically.

15 years ago, when many of us were called crazy for paying the (then) outrageous prices being asked for vintage Rolex parts, I used to tell people that, based on recent history, a year from now the price is likely to be (at least) 20% higher, making today's outrageous price will look like a bargain. But even I never expected the current Vintage Rolex-Mania we are now experiencing. And the mania shows no signs of dissipating any time soon. Things have gotten so crazy that, to paraphrase automatico, most of my collection (some composed of NOS Rolex parts) would be financially and literally unobtainium for me today. But the same rule applies: no matter how crazy Rolex prices are today, if you can afford it, buy it. Because it may be out of reach -- if available at all -- this time next year.

rolexserfdom.jpg

• Like 2

Yes Freddy, i believe too it will keep on rising. It’s been 20 years I’m hearing from serious dealers that’s it’ll go down. And it never did. In 2000 I bought a 6239 for the equivalent of 8000 euros. I found it really expensive but I had to have one. 2 years later I sold it near 28k thinking that’s too much money for a watch compared to the pleasure it procured me. And also then I discovered the amazing and cheap 2000 viet builds in HCM that did the job for 2k usd…. I honestly thought it would kill the market. It didn’t 

On 6/11/2021 at 3:55 PM, rolojack said:

It looks like the forum isn't as active as before or is it me? I see the post dates are quite far apart

I agree!  I visit often, but don’t post as frequent as before, - not because I have lost Interest (on the  contrary ,my interest is as strong as ever) but there is very little movement in this hobby since the parts policy has become as bad as the genuine parts policy!   Most of us here are quite knowledgeable and like to experiment with our builds within our own limits of skills and then share & seek the services of the more skilled members of this forum depending on our desires.  In a way it feels as though this era of the rep game has been done by design to eradicate  this hobby of replicas as nothing else seemed to have worked in removing the rep game from the attraction many of us have been  able to enjoy!  Therefore prices of replicas keeps getting higher and most of us that have been here in the earlier years have been more advantaged in comparison to newcomers facing a tougher challenge! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hologramet said:

The bubble will burst.

A 79090 for 8000€. A 2000€ watch 10 years ago. Crazy……

Hi my friend! Glad to see you're still here !!!!! :) We'll see.... I've be hearing that for years now and we're all watching it grow and grow.... I think it just follows the curve of all other values. The thing is it's a worldwide market and we westerners have less and less buying power every year compared to the new countries. So many of us are left behind not understanding what is happening. My two cents... 

2 hours ago, altesporsche said:

Welcome back ole chap ! 

Thank you so much !!!! Hope to chat soon mate !

• Like 1