When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Thank you.

Hayst

To those have posted on these here fora I would like to extend my thanks, for I have been quietly gleaning information from your posts over the past months that I might build a watch for work.

I like the simplicity of the oyster case and the explorer dial so decided to go that way...sans branding as I just wanted watch that would stand up to daily use of shovels, chainsaws, and every other unsavoury job the council can throw at me.

I stripped an old Ollech und Wajs that had seen better days and salvaged a couple of other bits and pieces from a couple of other watches, these parts I put together in an unbranded Raffles case with dial and hands from same vendor.

Raffles 16200 case

Raffles dial

Raffles hand set

Eta 2824-2 Elabore

unmarked jubilee bracelet from ebay.

Shitload of patience, tweezers, and large magnifying glass...and very sore knees from crawling about on the wood floor looking for all those damnably horrible wee screws I dropped.

Please note that I was not trying to emulate a Rolex so didn't give a toss if the whole thing isn't correct...it works and suits me, twenty one seconds slow in the past seven days is good enough.

Regards.

Ps, yes that big scarred mitt with the calluses all over it did actually manage the task.

20210717_192331 (Copy).jpg

20210717_192339 (Copy).jpg

20210717_192726 (Copy).jpg

a2 (Copy).jpg

a3 (Copy).jpg

Screenshot 2021-07-17 193247.jpg

Had not done this before, it was interesting.

• Like 4

That is the old O&W case.

I have since picked up all I require for a watch for my daughter.

A 34mm Raffles Tudor case, Tudor dial and hands, and a Eta 2824-2 top grade.

Just waiting for a 5.3mm Rolex crown and a leather Tudor case to turn up before I start.

I have already installed Rolex pendant tubes and chased out the threads in both cases.

Screenshot 2021-07-18 002942.jpg

Edited by Hayst
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Good news as my lass will be home later this week and can pick up the watch...I really am looking forward to seeing her.

On the watch front, it has been just over five days nine hours and the watch has gained just under 7 1/2 seconds so I am guessing that it has settled to a gain of under 2 seconds per day.

Yes I am pleased.

731720269_Screenshot2021-09-19220846.jpg

Edited by Hayst
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

171135.jpg171136.jpg171137.jpg171138.jpg

Got bored with the dial...and by doing this I get to avoid doing the lawn and she-who-must-be-obeyed-or-else will still cook tea.

I purchased a repro yellow lume 6610 and a set of gold yellow lume hands (seriously, cheap as chips) off Raffles. I used a tooth pick and some Auto Sol chrome polish to remove the Rolex name and symbol, then used a lady's blush brush to brush some cement powder colouring (brown) on the hands and dial to take the newness off and dull the colour of the lume.

Seems okay...I prefer the printed dial as it doesn't jump out as much in bright sunlight, and the lume shines better on this dial in the dark.

Edited by Hayst

• 2 months later...

Not sure if this will interest anyone but the Raffles Dials Tudor and Explorer cases lend themselves to a double O ring seal on the case back.

28mm on the case back thread and a 30mm on the rear case seal groove...will probably mean nothing but it is easy to feel the second O ring when doing up the case back.

When the case back is removed there is no damage to either seal.

seals.jpg

• 1 year later...

Bored, so dropped in a Soprod Newton PO92, a Raffles Tropical dial and a new swiss pendant tube  plus gasket.

Went for old and knocked about look.

I shall put it on the Timegrapher tomorrow.

On the plus side I got to utilise the set of Bergeon screwdrivers my girls got me for Christmas...really nice change from the cheap Chinese set I have been using.

20230204_161804.jpg

20230204_161815.jpg

20230204_162017.jpg

20230204_162259.jpg

20230204_201034.jpg

• Like 1

Nice job on the builds.  you seem to have been bitten by the bug haha   careful or you will end up with a watch box full of them   I hope your daughter loves her new Tudor! 

I recently just bought the tropical dial as well but went with a bit more of a safe queen look  before I decide which direction I want to age it further.

I did age the lume on the dial and hands lightly with a brown air brush paint .  I like how your dial turned out with your aging technique.  it gives it a well worn look.

3hKJYP.md.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hayst said:

It was interesting for a bit but I shall be changing back to a Raffles 6610 gilt dial tomorrow as I cannot see the time as easily on the brown dial.

Both dials are knockouts, so you win either way. But I would always give the nod to well done (ie, believable from an arm's length away) tropical dials.

• 2 months later...

An update on the Soprod Newton P092 movement for member information.

I put a new Top Flight P092 movement into the raffles case on the 4th of February, it was running 6 seconds fast per day but I left it for a month to allow time to settle...then I put it on the timegraph and set it at 1 second a day fast...it has held this and has settled on slightly over 1 second per day fast (gain).

I am including this  picture for verification...just under 9 seconds in the past 8 days.

I am well pleased with the movement which has remained consistent even though I have been laying around  feeling miserable for the  past 4 days, as I have been incapacitated with gastro,. So apart from my friendship with the toilet bowl there has been very little movement of the watch...it has not varied, still slightly over 1 second a day fast (gain) and doesn't jump around.

Screw ETA movements.

20230410_010856.jpg

Edited by Hayst

Something of interest, we went to a  Melbourne AD yesterday to have them adjust my wife's Tudor...they said she would be without it for three weeks but if she needs a service at any time then the service time in Australia is currently eight months...yes, EIGHT!

Apparently there is only one Rolex service centre in Melbourne and it does Australia  and New Zealand, the other that was in Sydney was closed during the covid fiasco.

It shocked me to learn that the ADs aren't allowed to pull the watches apart,  they have to pass them through to the Rolex service centre or void the warranty.

There goes my desire to purchase an Explorer.

12 hours ago, Hayst said:

It shocked me to learn that the ADs aren't allowed to pull the watches apart,  they have to pass them through to the Rolex service centre or void the warranty.

I think either the AD was misinformed or you may have misunderstood them. Any certified Rolex watchmaker with a parts account should be able to work on your watch. Generally, only for vintage pieces, where a certified watchmaker is unable to verify a Rolex's provenance, might the watch have to be returned to a service centre. However, these days, due to cost-cutting, many ADs no longer maintain an in-house watchmaker of any level. In those cases, the watch would need to go the service centre.

This is a nice thread, I like watching your little journey. You have definitely been bitten. 

I think it's ok to leave those rolex hallmarks on rather than scuff your dials up. It's obvious you are doing this for yourself and not to brag or pretend you're something else to others. I have always enjoyed reps for just that purpose, me. They also were a doorway into a watchmaking career, starting out just like you have. I have tried to purchase the gens of the watches I liked as reps.. to varied levels of satisfaction. The worst part of gen ownership for me, was the service and support.  They sell you stories of perfection, but after the purchase when they should really shine they do anything but. I have had to do my own repairs after many service centers failed to meet their mark, including TAG, Breitling, and Rolex. RSC NY was the worst, followed closely by Breitling.  All of this reaffirms my commitment to being the type of watchmaker that fills the gap they leave in terms of attention to detail and turnaround time- their two biggest problems.

So what's next for you? I have recently decided to play around with a cartel comex SD which I have on the way. I was itching for a vintage project that wouldn't break the bank or need to be taken too seriously.