When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cling Film and Insanity

Nanuq

I bought two new watches and tracked them to my door.  Eager with anticipation I cut the miles of strapping tape and cardboard holding the Pelican boxes inside.  With trembling hands I opened the first and there it was, my lovely new dive watch.

And then it hit me.  Oh no.  Dear God, no.  I forgot about the horror that is Cling Film.   :shock:

Every watch I've bought in the last 5-10 years has been encased in ever increasing amounts of cling film.  It used to cover the crystal and caseback, now it covers every square millimeter of the watch, self adhering like a demented squid.  It's in every crevice, it's on both sides and the sides of the band, it's in every deep hidden place in the clasp, in the endlinks, between the endlinks and the case... the stuff is everywhere.  It's on the end of the CROWN, for crying out loud.

And is it easy to get off?  Oh hell no.  Get out a fine blade and carefully slip it between the film and the steel, cutting it loose.  And as you do, watch the fine scratches appear on your otherwise unblemished watch ... BECAUSE YOU HAD TO USE A KNIFE.

I can't be the only one that hates this.  Maybe the Trusted Dealers should have a checkbox on their systems where as you complete your purchase, you click the box to indicate Don't Wrap My Watch In @!#$^#$%^(I^@ Cling Film.  Just think, they wouldn't have to pay some poor schlub to put all that cling film on there in the first place.

Can it be that hard?  I can dream, can't I?  Until then I'll have to remember to keep a nice 12-year single malt available for the unwrapping chore.

• Like 2

I bought two new watches and tracked them to my door.  Eager with anticipation I cut the miles of strapping tape and cardboard holding the Pelican boxes inside.  With trembling hands I opened the first and there it was, my lovely new dive watch.

And then it hit me.  Oh no.  Dear God, no.  I forgot about the horror that is Cling Film.   :shock:

Every watch I've bought in the last 5-10 years has been encased in ever increasing amounts of cling film.  It used to cover the crystal and caseback, now it covers every square millimeter of the watch, self adhering like a demented squid.  It's in every crevice, it's on both sides and the sides of the band, it's in every deep hidden place in the clasp, in the endlinks, between the endlinks and the case... the stuff is everywhere.  It's on the end of the CROWN, for crying out loud.

And is it easy to get off?  Oh hell no.  Get out a fine blade and carefully slip it between the film and the steel, cutting it loose.  And as you do, watch the fine scratches appear on your otherwise unblemished watch ... BECAUSE YOU HAD TO USE A KNIFE.

I can't be the only one that hates this.  Maybe the Trusted Dealers should have a checkbox on their systems where as you complete your purchase, you click the box to indicate Don't Wrap My Watch In @!#$^#$%^(I^@ Cling Film.  Just think, they wouldn't have to pay some poor schlub to put all that cling film on there in the first place.

Can it be that hard?  I can dream, can't I?  Until then I'll have to remember to keep a nice 12-year single malt available for the unwrapping chore.

Haha, me tooo...!!! I love everything of a new watch, but that is one thing i will ever hate..!!!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G998B mit Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of insanity and cling film, a little birdy tells me Mike On A Bike was just in Wildwood NJ again. Are the rumors true??? MOAB was that YOU sporting those hot pink swim shorts?!?

c4c88bd0b8a937377e833779d8494ca8.gif

21 hours ago, kidcreole said:

I think you're overreacting. I've had great results with this if you don't mind the smell of burnt plastic and gasoline. Fast and efficient giving a unique patina to your watches.

flamethrower.jpg

This seems completely proportional.  Just taken the clingfilm off a Fedex delivery, and this would have been much easier, and perhaps helped with some low level community backburning as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes!  The worst is when you have to remove the bracelet to get the stuck bits out of the end links.  Also, you know it’s bad when you need magnification and #2 tweezers. 😆 

Also, the Loctite on the bracelet screws is getting ridiculous too.