When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Seestern Sub 300 Orange Doxa Homage

cornerstone

The Seestern has landed!!

watch3.jpg.a31c45ac8ad3705fac2fbefd72731f7c.jpg

watch_water.thumb.jpg.ef57289b24fdd3c3f47c07209f070c11.jpg

It's important to baptize the Seestern in its natural habitat.

watch4.thumb.jpg.192d0e4298adee2a8c6aa2b728db2803.jpg

A few thoughts:

- I think it looks a bit different in photos than in 3d.  It's a bit like the opposite of taking photos of the moon, and I think the eyes play tricks.  It has one of the smallest dials of any watch I own.  That's only strange when the other watches are close by though, then they suddenly look like wrist clocks.

- I'm still learning the 'ooh' angles with it.  The dial is so recessed there are a lot of angles where it's in shadow, or there is refracted light.  Head on it isn't that easy to read (I think my eyes naturally focus on the crystal not the dial in daylight as stupid as that sounds), but then there are other angles where it does very cool things.  You know how it goes.

- Wears well

- Came with tools, which I think is a nice touch.

- I think the caseback and Seestern branding is pretty cool.  Looks good on the crown.

- On the lookout for something with a domed crystal, or plays with that aspect of it (I'm a bit crystal obsessed), but happy to have this one in orange. 

Big thanks for the heads up on this one.  Feels like the kind of watch I want to have adventures with so it can earn its own back story down the track.

Verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry nice!!  Wow!!  Thanks for the writeup.  I've already got the orange "300T" from Maranez and Tactical Frog and I'm trying hard not to be "that guy" who buys the Seestern too.  But wow your photos make it hard to resist.  So far I like the Froggie best, the bezel is ultra low profile and the crystal is ever so slightly domed, so it puts the dial and hands much closer to the surface.

How's the bezel on the Seestern?  Sticks up pretty high, and bead blasted on the sides?  How's the band?  Is it a real Beads Of Rice or is it a fake-o piece like that Tactical Frog?

10 hours ago, Nanuq said:

Verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry nice!!  Wow!!  Thanks for the writeup.  I've already got the orange "300T" from Maranez and Tactical Frog and I'm trying hard not to be "that guy" who buys the Seestern too.  But wow your photos make it hard to resist.  So far I like the Froggie best, the bezel is ultra low profile and the crystal is ever so slightly domed, so it puts the dial and hands much closer to the surface.

How's the bezel on the Seestern?  Sticks up pretty high, and bead blasted on the sides?  How's the band?  Is it a real Beads Of Rice or is it a fake-o piece like that Tactical Frog?

The bezel is terrific to my eyes.  I don't find the height an issue other than it making the dial so recessed from the crystal.  The Froggie I think has thought about it and improved parts of it rather than a head-on homage (or maybe brought in ideas from other Doxas?)

Because they picked out esoteric colours that other watches tend not to have, I think there's a fair case to have different versions in different colours. 

I'll certainly look at a Tactical Frog as well, just a different colour. 

I'm not a beads of rice expert, but it looks real to me, all the little bits move separately, so each link was three beads on one fork, and two on the other that the pin needed threaded through.  Looking at it again, it's not that rice like, it's sort of flattened.  Yeah, I'd probably compare photos to see what you're after.

It was easy to resize and change bands for what it's worth.

I got the orange rubber strap as well.  It's absolutely fine, but it might just be a little bit fluro.  It makes it look it came from a vending machine - maybe less so if I was wearing a wetsuit.  So might explore some other straps, and maybe stick that on another watch.  Or only wear my wetsuit.

Sirens will go off if I see a good Caribbean. 

3 hours ago, cornerstone said:

Sirens will go off if I see a good Caribbean. 

Here ya go, this Yobokies dial is made for that NH36 movement.  Add some white hands and Bob's yer uncle.

DI_300CR0076.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...