When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor Submariner (9401/0) Build Help

AP773

Hello all!

I recently started a Tudor 9401/0 submariner build and am in need of some clarifications. But before we get into that, here’s the build so far!

3f9206655363cd34477c0e50b2f3f7dc.jpg

d2cdcbacb5c6f4cdf5ecd9e9d1f29db4.jpg

266b2ffe00e8059f927c422fda0bd873.jpg

b5832c297a1bc19e8203ab70d4ffd2fa.jpg

32f3f940b3d78ece3a6a3afa76c91fd5.jpg

feeaa7e9ea670e3ec500328a94d08205.jpg

7164ed09009ceb2e5790c2f8f8fb925a.jpg

ebcfa89c8eeba7a86b26bc4151feb330.jpg

It all started when I purchased a Tudor Submariner from Japan auctions, hoping it was at least a franken. Turns out it’s most likely a complete rep but considering what I paid for it, some parts were worth keeping and building upon. Here’s a breakdown of the parts I’ve kept and added so far:

• Case: not sure of the source, came with the watch

• Dial: Phong

• Bezel: Phong

• Bezel insert & pip: Crownartcustoms (ig)

• Hands: Hour & minute from wholesaleoutlet990 (eBay), gen seconds hand

• Crown: came with watch, gen 24-703 crown and tube incoming

• Movement: came with an eta 2824-2 but haven’t verified it’s authenticity

I’m hoping to eventually add a gen dial and maybe a gen 93150 bracelet. A matching relume is also in order.

Now, back to the matter at hand. I recently upgraded to a phong bezel but I’m not sure if the retaining ring is fitting the case well. Is the retainer ring supposed to sit flush and tight against the case or sit slightly elevated? I thought retaining rings sat flush against their case but this being a tension (push down) bezel, is it supposed to have a small gap so as to not rub the bezel against the case when rotating? The phong retaining bezel is either a perfect fit (sits slightly above case) or too small (not flush) and may need some customizing. Hopefully someone here can give some clarification on this.

Everything else seems to be a perfect fit so far but if anyone has any suggestions on what should be done/upgraded next, let’s hear it.

Thanks!

The crystal retaining ring should be tight against the case. Later models (1680, 5513) even had a groove in the underside of the retaining ring for a gasket to help with WR. The retaining ring/crystal assembly needs to be tight to achieve WR. The tension ring and bezel can ride above since they are not really part of the WR assembly.

Your crown looks to be a 700 crown which is fine with the 9401 and what was originally used. A 703 assembly would be a later service assembly. You have two sets of springbars in your pics- the shoulderless ones are correct. Correct movement is not a 2824-2- that came later. Is an eta 2776 correct- look it up, but good luck finding one? The movement you have does not appear to be a true Tudor- don't see any of the decorative perlage on the plates- probably someone just put a Tudor rotor on there. The caseback is beat up and the case itself is pristine- definitely could use some judicious aging. 

The nice thing about Tudors is that they pretty much fly under the radar- no one has ever commented on mine (a 79090).