When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is it time for High End Quartz to return?

GShocked

The prices just keep going up and up, and most people aren't going to be able to afford certain brands. So for those brands to have more entry level models (I like the Oris Aquis and Tissot Seastar for value)...is it then time for the higher end brands to bring back models such as the Oysterquartz? High end quartz could fill a gap for them that's going to keep getting larger. 

I'm curious about your opinions. 

• Like 1

First, the admission price to Oysterquartz today would likely start at $20k & go up from there. Second, you lose exclusivity by diluting product lines with too many (or too affordable) "entry-level" offerings. Third, I think there are MANY wonderful watches, albeit mostly quartz-powered, out there for the truly astute watch collector. A case in point - Swatch has made some truly beautiful watches, some of which are now quite collectible.

"The Swatch Sistem White Automatic SUTW400 Automatic Unisex Watch is an inexpensive, fun watch that fits the bill with budget watch lovers as much as it earns appreciation from veteran, mechanical watch connoisseurs."
Swatch Originals Sistem White Automatic SUTW400 Unisex Watch: Luxury with a touch of fun

The old standard applies - always buy what you like. That way, regardless of how history treats your watch's value, you are happy.

swatch +1.jpg

• Like 1

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

c2f807090d805d8b767b6b6176e79f2a

If you don't see anything from Swatch that speaks to you, spend some time perusing ebay for vintage watches. If you buy based on what speaks to YOU, rather than a price point, you may find enlightenment.......& contentment.

This article may give you some inspiration --

Talking Watches with Brad Farmerie

& its companion video

• Like 1

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

If you buy based on what speaks to YOU, rather than a price point, you may find enlightenment.......& contentment.

Truer words were never spoken. I give you........The Miguel

7746239baab30906ccc03f82f26b85d1.jpg
  • Like 2

I think The Miguel proves the point. Mickey Mouse is an international icon & no one is going to miss that watch. Most collectors, I am speaking empirically, envy these watches.
Nanuq should post some pics of his Doxa, which is another of those watches that is stunningly beautiful, HIGHLY collectible, but not priced into the Rolexphere (i.e., with a bit of saving, they are within reach of most average people).
There are many VERY cool '70s watches that can be had for less than $1,000.

Update -- Interestingly, I see that 1 of the 'reasonably priced' watches I have previously recommended to people has apparently gained quite a following &, therefore, significant demand.  The Heuer Skipper used to be 1 of those under-the-radar gems that could be had for less than a grand. I see it is now selling for nearly 10 times that amount!
2a25fd8999816139f95f988c69d3f440_44.jpg

Which brings up another watch collecting axiom -- no matter how crazy the price is today for a cool vintage watch, it will likely multiply by this time next year.
Here are a few other cool 70s watches that are, so far, undiscovered gems --

c8226023056375a6ac44e6dbf31edb37_44.jpg

0f435fbf52a59037a0f7939c31496e0e_44_314.

heuer-autavia-gmt.jpg?crop=1xw:1.0xh;cen

'High end quartz'...

I thought maybe the (now discontinued) Bulova Accutron II was pretty good with its excellent accuracy and smooth sweeping second hand but in my experience they may have a flaw that is becoming more common;  Defective hour wheels.

None of mine have had a problem yet but a few weeks ago two came in for this problem.  I turned them down as I do not want the hassle of hunting parts or working on one.  Besides that, one was a chronograph and I stay away from working on chronographs if I can, mech or quartz.  I also read about a few watches having the same problem on a watch forum somewhere but can not find it now.

Bulova is supposedly easy to deal with and I may find out if one of mine breaks but for now I am Ok.  I do think maybe a plastic hour wheel is not a good idea on a mid or higher grade watch.  Some lower grade $7 or $10 quartz movements have them but they do not seem to cause much trouble.

Have 2 quartz Ebel 1911 and one will not run and it has a Cartier made movement of some sort...cal 87 in mine.  The other one is Ok or it was when I parked it 4 or 5 years ago.  Imho they would have been better if they had ETA movements but now some of the ETA quartz movements are over $200.  Also have a couple Ebel 'Sport Wave' watches and they both stopped and the replacement ETA movements were about $160 ten+ years ago.  Since they are two hands and no date I substituted an ETA 256.031/2 ($60+/-) in one and it was still running 10 or 12 years later with 3 or 4 new batts but I put it up somewhere and can not find it...I do that a lot.

All in all I like quartz watches just fine but even they are getting to be pricey to repair except for a few brands, TAG/Heuer for example that use common ETAs.

16 hours ago, GShocked said:

I just feel like mechanical movements are going to keep getting more expensive and entry level models are going to eventually start out at 1500-2000 once inflation kicks in more.

If you trust the government, current Inflation will be "transitory" and ease by year's end, so it should not be a problem.

But, back on earth, with governments spending like the drunken sailors that they are, inflation is likely here to stay for the foreseeable future. But, even without that, values of most collectible watches have been rising steadily since I got into watch collecting back in the mid-80s. If there is a global economic meltdown (possible), then I would expect vintage watch prices to fall or at least level off for awhile. But, otherwise, and again, it is more likely that the $1,500-$2,000 you balk at today will seem like a bargain this time next year.

6 hours ago, jcagara08 said:

the bulova moonwatch (in SS bracelet) is IMHO an example of this, (still I am on the hunt, I know I am late)

I think 1 of the best bargains in vintage watches is the original HUMMER, the Bulova Accutron (Spaceview). These can be found for under $1,000.

1964Accutronad.jpg~original.jpg

Accutron 214 009+2__-2_tonemapped2+1.jpg

Accutron 214 back 006+2__-2_tonemapped+1.jpg

"I think 1 of the best bargains in vintage watches is the original HUMMER, the Bulova Accutron (Spaceview). These can be found for under $1,000."

Totally agree, the 214 'Spaceview' is THE Accutron.  The 218 line is fine too but not as cool.  They made a 'skeleton' 218 but they were just not the same.  No pizzazz.

FYI...the 14K and 18K Accutrons have a lot of gold in their cases compared to most other brands.  Many of their vintage mechanicals were pretty heavy too.  I have a pair of 1950s 'Beau Brummel' automatics that are heavier than the average watch of the same era...one white gold, one yellow gold.

Beau Brummel = diamonds on the dial.

image.jpeg.2d654522c71b6fc0760b3af48f9c073d.jpeg

"the bulova moonwatch (in SS bracelet) is IMHO an example of this, (still I am on the hunt, I know I am late)"

Glad to say I have one from 1964 in original condition with the factory issue Bulova signed Kreisler 'coffin' bracelet.  A friend gave it to me and it is in 85 to 90% condition with just a little bit of corrosion on the H and M hands from the lume.

Kreisler bracelet prices have gone crazy too, eBay item number  183760670497

Here is one of the best Bulova Accutron mechanics in the business...

The ONLY Recommended site. Accutron Repair and Spaceview Repair (mybob.net)

• Like 1

• 9 months later...