When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why ARE Rolexes So Expensive?

freddy333

All the scenarios put forth have validity 

A watch or any product, collectible etc. is only worth what you can get for it at the time of sale,! Period!!!!

So what it is worth this much today and it has gone up or down?  Real estate is a perfect example!  You get or pay what the trade agreement is on the day!  Sometimes you get a bargain and sometimes you have overpaid!  Just basic high school demand and supply economics!  

The OP posted a video of a woman stating why Rolex watches are so expensive?  My interpretation is that she was talking about the new ones at the dealer and not collectible classics !  All collectible classics will demand a premium regardless of if it is a watch or a one penny black first minted stamp!  Her B@#$$$T was what I found insulting to someone who has been in the horological interests for almost 50 years !  Yes Rolex is a great watch and so too are other equal quality timepieces that sell for one tenth of the  price unless,you are bidding on a collectible or intend to buy Paul Newman’s cosmograph that sold at auction!

Late to the party here. I am a Rolex guy, with 5 Gens and a Franken.

However, that Brodinkee video is $hit in my opinion. Pandering? It may take a year to design and tool up for a new model, but not a year to make 1 Rolex. 

I’ve had brand new Rolex’s come with calendar issues and dirt on the dial. TRF is full of comments of misaligned bezels, etc. A buddy just got a new Explorer 36 that was running -9 slow. I’ve had Rolex’s come back from RSC with 2.0ms beat error and +12.  

Don’t get me wrong, Rolex are good/great watches but this “brand mystique” BS I find comical.

I think Brodinkee’s influencer status has jumped the shark, and their target audiences has shifted to Millennials with money, and pushing their agenda and products. (Forgive the rant)

The Mercedes analogy is spot on!