When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is Cellini the Next Must-Have Collectible?

freddy333

If you have the cash, it might be time to invest in a Rolex Cellini. Leave it in its original box/packing, untouched, in a safe place for 10 years. Then, if you are lucky, that Cellini may pay for your kid's college or your retirement.

According to a well-placed source, who asked not to be named, this year the Cellini name will be retired; with Rolex’s more artisan watches given a new name: Vienna.
Rolex rumoured to be dancing Cellini out of the door with Vienna dress watch waltzing in

Dammit Freddy, I'd always thought of the Cellini as a gaudy super-sized quartz Timex.  So following your advice I went looking and found a gorgeous "Cellini Time" with black lacquer dial in rose gold.

My, my, my.  What a looker.  And there's no quartz there... inside beats a 3135 heart.

They say once you buy into the Rolex way of "doing watches" you never pay for a watch again.  The black dialed beauty is suggested at $15,000 and the dual time in 18k rose gold can be had for $17,250.  Buy one and wear it all you want, and you'll be able to sell it again whenever you choose for what you paid, or more.

Then there's the cachet of a "NIB" watch that was discontinued oh so long ago, "back when Rolex really knew how to make watches".  We've all heard that song and dance.  Maybe THESE are the good old days.

cellini.jpg

6 hours ago, Nanuq said:

Maybe THESE are the good old days.

I doubt their values will reach the same astronomical levels, but if Rolex does rebrand the poor-selling Cellini line, I think Cellinis, like the 2 you posted (I have been eyeing the model on the left), may mimic the delayed-demand pattern set by the poor-selling 62xx Daytonas in the years after being discontinued. And with Rolex pulling the trigger in the midst of years-long waiting lists, media buzz about demand outstripping supply & at a time when techie types are dumping their fashionable computer watches for classically stylish gentlemen's timepieces........well, unlike the US president, I doubt anyone at Rolex is asleep at the wheel or unable to read &/or accurately get ahead of new market trends.