When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I prefer quartz over automatic these days

GShocked

I still have a great appreciation/love for automatics, but here's my reasons for using quartz more often: 

1) More accurate

2) Less concerns about accidentally dropping it if I'm taking it off, better shock resistance. (Although Omega and Rolex have improved their shock resistance over the years). 

3) Cheaper! 

4) Less snobbery involved. As the mechanical aspect is not really as much of a focus. 

5) Can replace the movement for $15 after 30 years if I cared to, and put them on daily. 

Quartz overall to me just have more advantages, but I have a lot of respect for the mechanical movements and the engineering involved. 

Unfortunately Omega/Rolex aren't going to bring back the quartz models that they once offered. The quartz seamaster (thermocompensated) had been a great value. The japanese still offer higher end thermocompensated quartz and Breitling. 

All good points, but the same case can be made for doing away with a wristwatch altogether in favor of a smartphone. Why wear a quartz watch when you already carry a phone that is probably more accurate than your watch (most smart phones routinely auto-correct themselves through your provider)? Of course, the answer is that, for most gentlemen, there is only 1 acceptable way to display style or status & that is via jewelry. Unless you go in for garish wedding bands or are of Italian ancestry (wear a pinky ring), a wristwatch is your only piece of daily jewelry. & while a Prius will get you from point a to point b, few will view the gentleman behind the wheel of an eco-wagon like they will a Mercedes or Lexus. Similarly, if you dress to impress, rather than to fade into the masses, I think your watch should be up to the task. That said, there ARE some very cool quartz watches, I often wear 1 myself. But I would never suggest they are a preference for any reason other than variety or safety (if the potential exists that you may be headed into questionable locales).

I have one quartz watch, made specifically for skiing.  It measures rate of descent and counts runs, plus keeps an eye on the barometer and temperature to give a heads-up about changing weather.  Guess which mode mine's in all the time?  Trying to max out the rate of descent. 

avocet-vertech-alpine.jpg

https://www.mountainzone.com/gear/Avocet_Vertech_Review.html

1 hour ago, Nanuq said:

I have one quartz watch, made specifically for skiing.  It measures rate of descent and counts runs, plus keeps an eye on the barometer and temperature to give a heads-up about changing weather.  Guess which mode mine's in all the time?  Trying to max out the rate of descent. 

Good point. Some quartz watches have very useful functions that are just not possible with analog. If you are skiing, I can see how having a timepiece that is also a warning device would be very useful. My Pingo has a depth gage and limited (diving) computer alarms/functions, making it much more practical when diving than just a reliable timekeeper like the Submariner.

Citizen Aqualand JP2000 orange zulu 015a-1.jpg

Unless they've changed things, most smart watches only have like 50 meters for resistance. I'll stick to tried and true quartz/solar! 

"All good points, but the same case can be made for doing away with a wristwatch altogether in favor of a smartphone. Why wear a quartz watch when you already carry a phone that is probably more accurate than your watch (most smart phones routinely auto-correct themselves through your provider)? Of course, the answer is that, for most gentlemen, there is only 1 acceptable way to display style or status & that is via jewelry. Unless you go in for garish wedding bands or are of Italian ancestry (wear a pinky ring), a wristwatch is your only piece of daily jewelry. & while a Prius will get you from point a to point b, few will view the gentleman behind the wheel of an eco-wagon like they will a Mercedes or Lexus. Similarly, if you dress to impress, rather than to fade into the masses, I think your watch should be up to the task. That said, there ARE some very cool quartz watches, I often wear 1 myself. But I would never suggest they are a preference for any reason other than variety or safety (if the potential exists that you may be headed into questionable locales)."

-Fair points also, but I'm not trying to impress people. I do plan on getting the Aquis C.400 or a Seamaster in the future but only because of the prices going up and it'll be for the more dressy/formal occasions. Not really to brag or say "hey I have money". Total opposite actually for me. I just like the engineering/the changes that both companies have done. 

"I prefer quartz over automatic these days."

I hear you!  

I always liked quartz chronographs better than mechanicals, especially if they are retro style with cushion cases.

Here is one of my favorites with a Seiko Mecaquartz movement. 

Mecaquartz = the time keeping is regular quartz and the push buttons and center timing hand's 'return to center' actuations are mechanical. 

Since there is no jumping second hand, it does act like a quartz watch and the  center timing hand's 'return to center' action is smooth like a mechanical chronograph.

IMG_0402.thumb.JPG.18f0fb598ee5f23ec6bfe501c051b785.JPG

It originally had a 'Rallye' type leather strap and I put a ZRC strap on it with a steel 'Roller' buckle.

'Roller' = it has a hollow steel tube over the end of the buckle and it rolls instead of sliding over the strap when tightening the strap to prevent scuffing the leather.

IMG_0405.thumb.JPG.09786ef5180cf04ac22dd580249a73e0.JPG

Call me old school but I prefer fully mechanical watches.  Manual even better than automatic wind.

Call me an anachronism, but I take it as a personal challenge to keep my '63 Land Rover running well.  That means keeping on top of generator brushes wear, maintaining adjustment and points gaps in the 3-coil electro-mechanical voltage regulator, maintaining my points gap and dwell in my ignition points, keeping my timing adjusted exactly right, and keeping my carburetor adjusted exactly right.  With the bonnet down, at idle the only thing you hear is noise from the belt and fan going around, the engine is as quiet and smooth as a Swiss watch.  I drive down to meet my buds and we all give our dogs exercize in the afternoons, and rolling up to the group as they stand talking, the only sound is the tires rolling in the grit of the parking lot.  

I wish I had the skill (and steady hands) to tear down my mechanical watches, I'd love to tinker them into perfection too.  But I can't even reinstall a set of hands without mangling them.  So better left to someone with calmer mitts.

I have owned quite a few mechanical chronographs and also like hand wind models over autos. 

I got in a tizzy in 1996/97 and sold all my mechanical chronographs but since then I bought/traded into a few with ETA 77xx, one 1960s two register Arnex 'diver' chronograph (Landeron 149), and a few Alphas etc with the ST19.  I have worn a few with the 77xx and ST19 but not the Arnex because I do not want to take a chance on it seizing up.

A 1960s 'Diver' chronograph!  With a countdown bezel! 

It probably needs a drain plug more than a countdown bezel.

"Bu..bu...but it says 'Waterproof Tested To 12 Atmospheres' on the back!"  (about 400 ft)  

I say:  "Like a fish."

Like in...

"I'm gonna whup your azz!"

"Yeah, like a fish.":fish:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It depends on your needs or wants…

I’m a mechanical watch fan. I admire the engineering aspect of a mechanical movement. There are few things more satisfying than tinkering with a watch: the escapement, the finely tuned gears, the mainspring, etc.

But if you don’t want the hassle of having to wear or wind it, by all means use a battery powered watch.

As far as using it as a status symbol, I understand that, but I’m not easily impressed by someone wearing a $5K or $250K watch. Sure I’d like to own one, but I have a healthy (or unhealthy!) collection of gens and reps and I am pretty happy with it.

Having said all that, I’m not a mechanical watch snob, and every now and then I wear my favorite pseudo-mechanical watch:

e19ac0ef2d71420d031194a932c5e39f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk