When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The best ballistic nylon Natos?

RickFlorida

Hi everyone.

Does anyone feel like they know which Nato strap brands/providers have the best quality ballistic nylon and strap overall?  I ask because I've noticed some Nato straps are made of a more silk like fabric that tears at the holes easier than others.  I almost lost a prized Vostok Amphibia when I was fishing in the ocean.  (I fish for tarpon and other gamefish and I do this often either on a paddleboard or standing in 4 feet of water).  The nato strap tore at the hole being used by the buckle and my Amphibian fell onto the bottom in 5 feet of water on coquina rocks. Luckily, I located the watch but it was annoying that the whole point of the Nato strap not losing your watch if one spring bar pops was pointless if the nato strap material gives way. 

I've had other Natos that last 8 years and never tear at the holes but I don't know what brand they were or where I got them.

I want to possibly wear a different watch that costs a lot more than 70 dollars so thought I'd ask what is the best Natos?  The Nato needs to be 24mm wide.  I need to wear a watch to tell time out in the ocean as I'm out there for 4 or 5 hours adrift on my paddleboard and obviously can't have an Iphone in salwater.  I lose a lot of gear fishing this way on a ocean sized paddle board because the deck if flat.  I've lost rods, reels, Go Pro cameras but finally have a system for all that.  The only thing I don't want to lose now is my watch.

Some interesting facts I learned about ballistic nylon.  It was developed by Dupont and it was used to protect U.S. airmen from flying shrapnel/flak before the invention of kevlar.   Any chance a known Dupont supplier still makes it for nato straps? I wonder if the cheap Nato I had that broke was a blend of nylon and a cheaper material. And I would guess not all ballistic nylon is equal?

thanks!