When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Date ring 1570 Rolex question

altesporsche

Hey fellas, 

just in the process of assembling a long standing project 1655. 

my date ring looks like it has a crimp on it that I’m unsure if it’s supposed to be there 🤷🏼‍♂️😅 

I’m having an issue of the date setting correctly, so I’m wondering if this is the cause. 

please see the photos for those who have experience with this movement and give some ideas on what’s up or whether this little crimp should be or not be there 😅

86465939-E251-4703-A327-79903E2AEBB9.jpeg

7E9B2CEB-52C1-4363-8954-BFBFF293F94A.jpeg

I looked at a genuine rlx 1565/1575 GMT DW spacer ring and it does have the small crimp exactly like yours.

A genuine rlx 1565/1575 date movement spacer ring also has the small crimp.

Iirc a 1565/1575 date spacer is .9mm thick and the 1565/1575 GMT spacer is 1.0mm.  I can look at them again tomorrow if you need the measurements.  The GMT DW spacer has to be a little bit thicker so the dial will clear the 24H wheel etc.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, automatico said:

I looked at a genuine rlx 1565/1575 GMT DW spacer ring and it does have the small crimp exactly like yours.

A genuine rlx 1565/1575 date movement spacer ring also has the small crimp.

Iirc a 1565/1575 date spacer is .9mm thick and the 1565/1575 GMT spacer is 1.0mm.  I can look at them again tomorrow if you need the measurements.  The GMT DW spacer has to be a little bit thicker so the dial will clear the 24H wheel etc.

I think this may be my issue on the thickness. Or maybe something along those lines. 

this movement has been working in another GMT Watch it’s a genuine GMT movement, but I changed the date wheel to the open 6 and 9 for the 1655 and then it started to act funny on the date change. 

im thinking potentially the date wheel for the GMT’s may be thinner than the date wheel for the others 🤷🏼‍♂️ I need to measure as it seems like this date wheel is hanging up vs the date wheel that was in it. 

13 hours ago, Ronin said:

That looks like damage to me.

I thought the same, but all of the spacers I’ve seen now are like that for the 15XX

"I think this may be my issue on the thickness. Or maybe something along those lines."

"This movement has been working in another GMT Watch it’s a genuine GMT movement, but I changed the date wheel to the open 6 and 9 for the 1655 and then it started to act funny on the date change."

The DW are the same for GMT, 1680, DJ etc, p/n 7961 but aftmkt DWs may not be exactly on spec.  My 'shortcut 1655' has an aftmkt DW and it does not flip all at once but goes about half way at 12 but it is always centered the next morning so I left it alone.  Mine may be a weak 'calendar yoke spring' but I do not want to r/r the hands and dial to get to it.

Lay the DW on a sheet of glass or flat metal and see if it is flat to begin with because it does not take much to hang them up.

Something else that can cause the DW to hang up is if the inside diameter of an aftmkt (or genuine) DW has rough leaves (aka teeth) and it hangs up when the little index arm tries to center it after a change.  This might also be the cause of mine hanging up.  If the teeth are rough, you can roll a piece of 1000 or 1500 sandpaper on a toothpick and run it through the gaps in the teeth and roll it over the teeth to smooth them down a little.  

If the numbers do not center in the dial window after the date changes, you can adjust the little screw on the end of the index spring/arm to center the numbers.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2022 at 9:02 PM, automatico said:

"I think this may be my issue on the thickness. Or maybe something along those lines."

"This movement has been working in another GMT Watch it’s a genuine GMT movement, but I changed the date wheel to the open 6 and 9 for the 1655 and then it started to act funny on the date change."

The DW are the same for GMT, 1680, DJ etc, p/n 7961 but aftmkt DWs may not be exactly on spec.  My 'shortcut 1655' has an aftmkt DW and it does not flip all at once but goes about half way at 12 but it is always centered the next morning so I left it alone.  Mine may be a weak 'calendar yoke spring' but I do not want to r/r the hands and dial to get to it.

Lay the DW on a sheet of glass or flat metal and see if it is flat to begin with because it does not take much to hang them up.

Something else that can cause the DW to hang up is if the inside diameter of an aftmkt (or genuine) DW has rough leaves (aka teeth) and it hangs up when the little index arm tries to center it after a change.  This might also be the cause of mine hanging up.  If the teeth are rough, you can roll a piece of 1000 or 1500 sandpaper on a toothpick and run it through the gaps in the teeth and roll it over the teeth to smooth them down a little.  

If the numbers do not center in the dial window after the date changes, you can adjust the little screw on the end of the index spring/arm to center the numbers.

Thanks for the input, I’m going to have another look at it today and I’ll have a look deeper in detail to the potential bur that you mention. 

it’s a genuine NOS date wheel for the 1655 so I really hope to get it working lol 😅 

been about two years trying to get this watch together. 

"Been about two years trying to get this watch together." 

It took me about that long to put my 'shortcut 1655' together but if it was done with nothing else going on, it probably took at least 60 hours.  Have another '1655' project with a J$Wcom case/dial and all correct 1575GMT movement and it has been on the back burner for about 11 years.  Maybe I will finish it this winter.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, automatico said:

"Been about two years trying to get this watch together." 

It took me about that long to put my 'shortcut 1655' together but if it was done with nothing else going on, it probably took at least 60 hours.  Have another '1655' project with a J$Wcom case/dial and all correct 1575GMT movement and it has been on the back burner for about 11 years.  Maybe I will finish it this winter.

Lol it seems the longer we have been at this the more anal about details we get 🤣🤷🏼‍♂️ 

what’s been holding me up is the case is a phong and it’s not fitting the keepers of the genuine 1575 correctly. So I’ve been thinning out the Inner ring by hand to accommodate using the gen screws. I get frustrated with it and then leave it for a while etc… lol

I hope it will be as good as I’m planning when it’s finished.
it’s a phong case, gen 1575 gmt movement, gen crown and stem, gen NOS crystal, Ming dial, gen NOS hands, gen correct open 6 and 9 date wheel. 
bracelet is just a rep one for now until I find the right one.