When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Invicta pro diver homage watch

alterego

"What gen is the inspiration of this 'homage'?  I'm guessing some Rolex vintage sub?"

Good question. 

Since it is billed as a 'Homage 1953' there were not many dive watches back then.  I almost bought one but passed because I probably would not wear it.

I have a couple old Zodiac Sea Wolf watches but they have the most aggravating snap on case backs ever devised.

Here is some good info on 1953 dive watches:

1953: The Year of the Dive Watch - Crown & Caliber Blog (crownandcaliber.com)

Incredible article on "1953: the year of the diver". Amazingly, it's been a lonnnng time since the diver was introduced. I was 8 years old when this happened.

Thank you for sharing this information with the not so knowledgeable about the topic.

"Amazingly, it's been a lonnnng time since the diver was introduced."

True.

Before today's common dive watch became the norm (Zodiac, Blancpain, rolex etc), there were the 1940s 'canteen' types, Elgin and Hamilton for example.  Another is the Panerai.  

I have a pair of 'sterile' bead blasted steel homages to the canteen watch but never owned a genuine example.  Next time I run across them I'll post a picture.

1940s Elgin USN BuShips Vintage Military Canteen Watch | United States Navy (unitedstatesarmynavy.com)

Spotting a Fake Elgin Buships Canteen Diver + Info | NAWCC Forums