When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6610 Explorer - quick and dirty

JSebWC

Been really diggin the 6610 lately and wanted to whip one together from the parts bin

Aged Raffles dial - its the SCOC which is more accurate for an early 1016 if only they would do a OCC dial It does the job but once you experience gilt dials... these just dont cut it. I would really like to source a 6610 gilt dial for this project.

JMB 1 case set
spray painted the seconds hand and then aged it and it looks legit
aged the hands and did a quick assembly.

its a cool piece and have been wearing it for about 2 weeks but until I find a suitable dial I plan on using the case set for the albino build that I made a post about.
jJqip3.jpg jJqaan.jpg jJqUJE.jpg

as always comments and questions welcome

13 hours ago, freddy333 said:

Nice piece, but I think most members would find it easier to view your post if you left out the black highlighting. It makes reading a chore.

I just did a quick copy paste from my post next door   couldn't get rid of the highlighting unfortunately   Most are here for the pics tho.

JSebWC:

"JMB 1 case set."

I have a question about the 'JMB 1' case...will a 2836/2846 work in your case?

I am asking because I have a '1016' made with one of two JMB cases purchased in February 2016 and I used ETA 2824 main plates with ETA 2846 balance etc to lower the beat rate because a 2836/2846 would not work in the case as the stem would not line up in the case tube.

It made me wonder if maybe a 2836/2846 would work in the earlier cases because I am planning to stick another '1016' together and do not need the hassle of converting another movement.

Make that converting two movements by the time it is done. 

I just wondered if there were two versions of the cases for two different movements. 

On 4/24/2022 at 12:28 PM, automatico said:

JSebWC:

"JMB 1 case set."

I have a question about the 'JMB 1' case...will a 2836/2846 work in your case?

I am asking because I have a '1016' made with one of two JMB cases purchased in February 2016 and I used ETA 2824 main plates with ETA 2846 balance etc to lower the beat rate because a 2836/2846 would not work in the case as the stem would not line up in the case tube.

It made me wonder if maybe a 2836/2846 would work in the earlier cases because I am planning to stick another '1016' together and do not need the hassle of converting another movement.

Make that converting two movements by the time it is done. 

I just wondered if there were two versions of the cases for two different movements. 

As far as I know there , JMB gets his cases from Raffles and they do offer a 2836 as well as a 2824  I assume the difference is in the crown height?  I would reach out to raffles  and ask the difference.   I'veyah  always bought the 2824 cases. 

The ver 1 case that I used is a standard case  which he shapes the lugs and drills the lugs through at the factory location  the ver 2 is done at the proper gen location 

JSebWC...

Thanks for the info.

I have a few DJ cases made for Miyota clones and ETA 2836/46 so that is probably what I'll go with.  Some do not have a case clamp groove and none have lug holes bored all the way through the lugs...plus I'll have to whittle out a bezel for it.  While I'm at it, maybe cut a small relief on the back side of the case around the case back.

Btw...your '6610/1016' reminds me of going to watch shows in the late 1980s/early 1990s when a genuine example with a dial and hands similar to yours would have trouble selling for $2500 because of the dial and hands.  Now a set of dial/hands like that raises the price.  Here is one for $20K!  eBay item  324665228580  and one for $26K!!  203912798724  

A highly detailed '1016' case with the relief around the case back:

• Like 1